Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if my typing is bad as i broke my wrist the other day and typing is tough

anyone use saddlebags on the striple with stock pipes? Do you have any issue with melting? (the bag resting on the exhust) I saw some saddlebagsfrom motocentric that look good that I am thinking of getting.

I want a set of bags that can carry enough for a weekend and still allow me to have a passenger on the back. I don't want to break the bank either with a hard case that needs a ton of mounting.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Ugh...saddlebags are a nightmare on a striple with stock exhaust. The plus side is if they melt you can still polish the exhaust since it's stainless and not chrome, but still. If you do, make sure you buy or build a rack system that holds them far from the exhaust. My cheap ass didn't do it, and I paid the price. Twice. That or get a lowboy exhaust to solve all of your problems.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Kriega is your best friend for tail bags. I have the US20 tail bag which connects to the seat with detachable straps so you can remove the bag and secure the straps with keepers. System stays clear of the exhaust and you can add other bags if necessary.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kriega is your best friend for tail bags. I have the US20 tail bag which connects to the seat with detachable straps so you can remove the bag and secure the straps with keepers. System stays clear of the exhaust and you can add other bags if necessary.
You wouldn't happen to have pictures of your Kriega on your striple would you?

·
Registered
43 Posts
The bag that Anzac is referring to is a tail bag. Won't be able to pillion with one buddy. Without brackets, your saddle bags will be toast.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sorry I missed the part about a pillion. In that case you might want to go for the rear rack and top case route. Some of the owners have done this and it seems the only way to go if you need to carry stuff and a pillion.

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I found a way to put on saddlebags without having melting issues and not have to add any kind of mounts on my bike. My inspiration came from "Wont" on the triumph rat forum. There is a link on his post to how he made his own mounts. Im going to make a mount like his except my mounts will be mounted to the bags and not the exhaust. Im going to use the 2 bolts on my exhaust for the "bumpers" When I figure this out I will post it up here. Here i the link to the page from "Wont"

http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/68323-street-triple-luggage-13.html

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I think I found a way to put on saddlebags without having melting issues and not have to add any kind of mounts on my bike. My inspiration came from "Wont" on the triumph rat forum. There is a link on his post to how he made his own mounts. Im going to make a mount like his except my mounts will be mounted to the bags and not the exhaust. Im going to use the 2 bolts on my exhaust for the "bumpers" When I figure this out I will post it up here. Here i the link to the page from "Wont"

http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/68323-street-triple-luggage-13.html
You'll notice I have a post or two in that thread. That was my original design. I half assed it. He did a better job than me. lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes but the only difference is that I want the frame (if that is what you want to call it) to be quick connect as well. That means the bag/boxes AND the frame are quick connect.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mac, Do you know how the Pannier mounts are actually mounted on a bike? It looks like they are general mounts. More or less a sandwich type clamp or might also could be looked like two plates with some part of the motorcycle in-between them.

I think I have come up with a few designs for this. I am going to take apart the back-end of my triple tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Here is the link to them Panniers

http://shop.sw-motech.com/lshop,sho...96756463-29189,,BC.HTA.11.740.10000__B,,,.htm

·
Super Moderator
11,896 Posts
On the FZ6 they had a couple pieces that bolted to the frame in the back and in the front it used two steel plates that sandwiched together on opposite sides of the footpeg mounts.

Here's pdf of the install instructions for the FZ6.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got a hold of SW-Motech and they told me that there should be some kind of saddlebag system for our bike in the April time frame. Also I think I came up with an idea on how to solve the melting saddlebag issue using heat resistant silicon attached to the saddlebag. The silicon blocks are rated between 500-700F which should take care of keeping the bags off the exhaust. As well as provide air moment between the saddle bag and the exhaust. The heat rating of the silicon blocks should make sure they don't melt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts