Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 9 10.7%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have done a little search and can't find a thread.

Was wondering if there's anyone that rides with their high beam on all the time.

·
Banned
941 Posts
I can't participate in your poll because there seems to be a missing option of SOMETIMES. I use my high beams for two reasons: to make sure other driver's notice me in the daytime and if I'm on a very dark road with no street lights at night. However, I don't have them on all the time during the day....only when I'm in situations where there is a lot of traffic and a driver could accidentally run into me without noticing me (and have no room to escape). if there is little to no traffic, i keep the high beams off and ride as if every cager is trying to run me over. If I'm expecting the worst to happen, then I usually have an escape path in mind at all times.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm with Daken....SOMETIMES.

Just a normal ride through the hills or along the coast, no. But in traffic I always have it on so I can better be seen.

At night I follow the same rule if I were in my truck. I don't have my HB on oncoming cars, last thing I want is to blind them and have them hit me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's not a good idea to ride with your high beams on during the day because it can actually make your bike appear to be further away to drives then you actually are.

·
Super Moderator
11,896 Posts
I don't think high beams are actually that much better for getting the attention of a distracted driver and worse for people that are paying attention they are annoying and can be blinding. Also it can be technically illegal to approach on coming traffic with your high beam on day or night. The final problem I have with this ties into how I use my high beam. It prevents you from easily flashing the high beam.

I use the high beam flasher button to flash my high beam anytime I'm approaching a car that could potentially pull in front of me. Flashing the headlight is much more attention getting then any constant beam no matter how bright it is.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Daytime all the time, absolutely.
Whenever dusk comes round I dont like like flipping back to low. prolly cuz of the "he has one broken headlight" thing, but I should care more what ppl think eh.

If the driver on the road is wondering "why the hell that motorcyclist has his high beams on during the day?"..well you've been seen, nuff said

*edit: btw i try to dip them for other riders in most situation.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
[rant]I love the fact the only sensible option, "when I'm not about to blind anyone", is absent. :whistle:

In order to have proper range, my high beam is aimed quite high, (while it was stupidly aimed at the same distance as the low beam when out of the box) and will blind anyone ahead, 55 W HIDs being what they are. I do use the trigger when I need to signal something, but except at night, if they're not looking, they're just not looking, a flash will help, but I'd rather just be careful. The fact I don't wanna burn my bulb plays, too, but if I get hit, I'd have to change anyway, wouldn't I ? Letting the HIDs heat up before starting to ride is a good idea as they'll light up far faster when flahing them afterwards.

This is why I ensure I never use it when it might blind people :coolgleamA:. Because blinded people are a danger on the roads, ya know:

- They tend to go towards the light, ergo swerve towards you.

- Their attention is distracted, and their (already poor :whistle:) thinking is hindered, adding to the accident risks.

- If visibility is poor because of the rain, the blinding light scattered by the raindrops will create a uniform blinding wall of light.

- They form and reinforce a negative opinion of riders.

Paranoid riding is a far better guardian than any lighting, you're the one who should be paying the most attention to your own life.[/rant]

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I can't participate in your poll because there seems to be a missing option of SOMETIMES. I use my high beams for two reasons: to make sure other driver's notice me in the daytime and if I'm on a very dark road with no street lights at night. However, I don't have them on all the time during the day....only when I'm in situations where there is a lot of traffic and a driver could accidentally run into me without noticing me (and have no room to escape). if there is little to no traffic, i keep the high beams off and ride as if every cager is trying to run me over. If I'm expecting the worst to happen, then I usually have an escape path in mind at all times.
I'm with Daken....SOMETIMES.

Just a normal ride through the hills or along the coast, no. But in traffic I always have it on so I can better be seen.

At night I follow the same rule if I were in my truck. I don't have my HB on oncoming cars, last thing I want is to blind them and have them hit me.
Ditto....

·
Banned
365 Posts
If find myself on long country road at night, Flipping the switch back and forth gets old real quick.
I wish the pass button worked in reverse so you could dip your high beams.

It's wise not to blind ppl and get smooshed, but when like 1 out of 20 cars returns the favor, Im kind of inclined to blind the mfer's back & let the chips fall where they may =P

*As always bikes/cars with one headlight I will always dip for

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use the high beam flasher button to flash my high beam anytime I'm approaching a car that could potentially pull in front of me. Flashing the headlight is much more attention getting then any constant beam no matter how bright it is.
You might wanna be careful doing that. While the extra visibility is a good thing, people may take it as a sign that you're signaling for them to go ahead and pull out.

I heard that this was an issue with the headlight flashers that goldwing and harley guys were using.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
When I rode on the road I rode with the high beams on during the day and switched to low beams at night with an approaching vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
11,896 Posts
You might wanna be careful doing that. While the extra visibility is a good thing, people may take it as a sign that you're signaling for them to go ahead and pull out.

I heard that this was an issue with the headlight flashers that goldwing and harley guys were using.
I've never heard of such a thing. Thanks for the tip though. In the 16 years that I've used my headlights flashed to ensure visibility I've got nothing more then people stopping dead in their tracks including some locking up their brakes to do so.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I ride with my high beam on at night.

·
Banned
365 Posts
/rant
Have you ever seen a high beam during the day, been dazzled lol, or thought anything else but:
Gee that guy has he's high beams on/has left he's high beams on.
Even if your thinking 'turn those fuking high beams off' you dont veer into him, or slam on the brakes, wait for a thump, and then drive off.
If you do this stuff, no1 can help u

I will be when there is absolutely no reason for me not to be, but as a rule; It doesn't pay to be polite on the bike.
Daylight High beams stay on
/rant

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have HID's in the BMW, and its pretty well blinding on low, so I leave the high beam off during the daylight. Only use it when I need it for my own vision.

·
Registered
631 Posts
If find myself on long country road at night, Flipping the switch back and forth gets old real quick.
I wish the pass button worked in reverse so you could dip your high beams.

That's a great idea!
One relay and it's done too, another job to do on the list…

IMHO
If your high beams are on its too hard to judge how far away you are, and how fast you are travailing.
If the sun is setting/rising behind you, you have now filled in your silhouette and just simply are not there, that can happen with just your low beam on too though.
And there are plenty of drivers out there who can't see big yellow trucks with running lights on!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

here in Brazil when you flash your headlight it means you are faster than the driver ahead and he should move out to the right.

·
Chiperator
5,539 Posts
I took the liberty of adding a "sometimes" to the poll.

Depends on conditions and what is going on around me, sometimes I ride with high beams on during the day. I don't want to dazzle any other road user but if it makes sure I am seen and thus stay alive then it works for me. Mind you, I have brighter bulbs in the Speed 3 so it isn't always necessary. On high beam they're really freaking bright.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have a twinlight driver so my high beam is on all the time but at a slightly reduced brightness. Never get flashed or have people thinking I have the high beam on plus it no longer has the one eyed look. Hitting the high beam over rides it and the beam goes to full brightness but I rarely use it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts