Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down for the first time the other day and I feel like a complete idiot. Too much throttle out of a corner on 100% cold tires (not used to 35 degree weather in LA) and slid out at ~15mph. I need to replace a couple stock parts and I'm wondering if you guys had any suggestions other than my local Triumph dealer (Los Angeles).

- The front brake reservoir needs to be replaced, and it seems an aftermarket option might actually be cheaper than stock.
- Right foot peg snapped in half
- The gas tank has a softball size dent in it (about 1.5" deep). Can this be repaired, or do I need to shell out the $856 for a new tank (R model - Matte Graphite)? Any shops in the area I should check out?
- There's a couple other small cosmetic pieces that I'll probably replace later as funds become more available, like the clutch cover and the rear fender (or whatever that piece above the pipe is).

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well, that sucks at least you were not going too fast. Lesson learned.

I would check ebay for parts - in fact if you look now you will see all sorts of use Triumph parts. Looks like someone is parting our a bike or two.

Sliders are your friend. I am looking at the Woodcraft frame sliders myself :nod:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe someone who has replaced their reservoir with the Triumph aftermarket one would be willing to sell you their old one? The Triumph aftermarket one is about $70 I believe.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Went down for the first time the other day and I feel like a complete idiot. Too much throttle out of a corner on 100% cold tires (not used to 35 degree weather in LA) and slid out at ~15mph. I need to replace a couple stock parts and I'm wondering if you guys had any suggestions other than my local Triumph dealer (Los Angeles).

- The front brake reservoir needs to be replaced, and it seems an aftermarket option might actually be cheaper than stock.
- Right foot peg snapped in half
- The gas tank has a softball size dent in it (about 1.5" deep). Can this be repaired, or do I need to shell out the $856 for a new tank (R model - Matte Graphite)? Any shops in the area I should check out?
- There's a couple other small cosmetic pieces that I'll probably replace later as funds become more available, like the clutch cover and the rear fender (or whatever that piece above the pipe is).
The front brake reservoir can be swapped out for any universal one for much cheaper. A Rizoma fluid reservoir is even cheaper than the Triumph aftermarket reservoir, and I'm confident PJ's Parts can have it in your hands from Italy much faster than the dealer can ever provide a replacement. Or take a trip over to British Customs, right off the 405 in Gardena. They're great for different ideas and options.

Cosmetic stuff can be covered up with a rattle can or sharpie's.

Lesson learned. Glad you're okay. That's all that matters.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sorry to hear of your spill, PT. And very glad you are okay.

Just f/ the sake of curiosity, what tires are you running?

Not saying they were at fault, just curious as I do a LOT of cold temp riding.

Best.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
You should know that the Rizoma reservoir isn't plug'n'play ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyone's concern.

I'm riding on Michelin Pilot Powers. I definitely wouldn't fault them for the spill as they've treated me really well, and grip much better than the factory rubber. I had literally rode a total of 30 feet before making the turn and subsequently sliding.

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
Did the same thing back in 08 on my first month with my SE 675. 33 degress, too much throttle on cold tires.

It happens, just fix the bike and learn your lesson like I did. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
+1 :thumbup: , and thats my bike in the picture :laugh:

i have a dent in the side of my tank, and i used these to cover them up, works excellent. and barely cost me anything. and i currently have the TRIUMPH logo on the carbon fiber covers, they look excellent.

the other parts can be found on ebay, and also in the classifieds here. you just have to keep an eye out, and jump when you see the parts when you need.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sorry to hear of your spill, PT. And very glad you are okay.

Just f/ the sake of curiosity, what tires are you running?

Not saying they were at fault, just curious as I do a LOT of cold temp riding.

Best.
I would say the "being angry" had more to do with it then the tires. Glad he's okay but riding with something on you mind like that is very distracting. Best to keep the bike parked if your mind is elsewhere.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just buy GB Racing covers to cover up the scratched clutch cover (possibly pulse cover too if you tipped to the right side).

The right foot peg snapped or the right brake pedal snapped? If it's the former then it's going to be expensive to replace... if it's the latter then it's $90 and 30 minutes of work to replace!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Glad you're ok. I always question my local buds taking off on cold tires. I ride like a grandpa on a harley till my tires warm up.

Anyways, I might have an OEM plastic front brake reservoir for ya. Ill check the spare parts box in the garage in the morning. Also, check your clutch cover for oil leaks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just buy GB Racing covers to cover up the scratched clutch cover (possibly pulse cover too if you tipped to the right side).

The right foot peg snapped or the right brake pedal snapped? If it's the former then it's going to be expensive to replace... if it's the latter then it's $90 and 30 minutes of work to replace!
It did go down on the right side, and its the foot peg that snapped, not the brake lever. From looking at it, I would think simply replacing the peg (just found one on ebay for $35) would be all I need. It broke in half, so the hinge is still intact.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I wasn't aware it got that cold in LA, bummer. Well, live and learn. That's what insurance is for. :thumbup:

·
Registered
308 Posts
pt, I have ridden in the single digits several times and many times in the teens. As I don't do track days, I have been equally pleased and comfortable on Qual 2's and PP2CT's. I keep my fingers crossed that my first mile on the gravel road in the AM helps to warm the tires before I hit the blacktop. On the really cold days I try to keep her speed down until I get to the 2 lane highway 2 miles from my house.

I may try some Avons or Bridgestones one of these days.

Best.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Aww dude.
Sucks to come off.
Glad that damage is minimal.
Whereabouts is the damage on the tank as I believe that there are some CF covers for the tank which is a decent and cost effective alternative to replacing the entire thing.

Mind you, I came off about 4 wks ago, cold tires, wet road, mind on something else and wound the throttle on like it was dry. Well it wasnt and I hit the deck and broke my left clavicle (collarbone). ya live and ya learn as they say.

Might want to post some pics of the damage as well. Hope the rest of the repair bill isnt too gag-worthy.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Sorry to hear about the off. I almost did the same thing on a cold day in Miami last year. It was in the low 40's and I made a left at a light and gave the bike some throttle on cold tires and the back end came out on me a bit. Scared the crap out of me but the bike recovered nicely. I try not to ride when it gets too cold just for that reason. That and I dont have cold weather gear yet...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Above is a pic of the tank and the springs that hook up to the rear brake lever.

The tank looks like it might be repairable (IMO), but the matte finish might up the cost prohibitively, in which case I'd get the carbon covers from Bestem.

I was checking out the brake lever last night as I was concerned considering its proximity to the snapped peg. The lever has no scratches and from what I can tell it isn't bent or warped. But when I depress it, it doesn't come back up on it's own; i have to pull it back up with my foot or else it remains engaged.
Could this simply be because the bike isn't on (battery is currently dead)? I checked the lines and there aren't any leaks. The only thing that seems off is the springs that attach to it seem loose, as indicated in the second photo above. Thoughts??

·
Registered
471 Posts
You cannot tell from a picture but I'm afraid the whole rear set may be bent and causing friction because of a misaligned brake pivot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts