Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this isn't directly related to 675's, but I just had to share this.

I recently bought a crash damaged Suzuki SV650 to take to the track. No more risking the 675, which was fast becoming track-only.

Weeks of prep went by and I finally hit the track on January 26th, with the bike really only just ready ... I was still welding and fettling the night before.

So I headed out onto the track and found the going tough. Instantly my track mate was pulling away from me, riding like a demon. I had started out in Intermediate group just to be safe because I was shaking down a brand new bike. With lots of determination we started to carve up Intermediate and moved up to Intermediate/Fast. I still couldn't catch my mate on his SV650, although by holding stupid amounts of corner speed and basically throwing caution to the wind I did get past a guy on an R6 wearing slicks and an Aprilia RSVR Factory, plus a handful of other bikes.

Then I was passed by some fat guy on a DRZ400 Supermotard down the back straight. Hmmm.

I got on the phone the day after the track day and spoke to Suzuki Australia ... who checked my VIN and ECU codes to confirm (drumroll....) my bike is a restricted 33 bhp learner's bike!

The Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme here in Australia means a handful of bikes are available in full power and ECU-restricted versions. Mine is the latter. A new ECU or a re-flash will give me back the 30 or so hp I'm missing. The guy who sold me the bike - a decent bloke - had no idea it wasn't a full power model.

So I guess before the next track day I'll need a new full-power ECU, a re-flash of the one I have ... or a bright yellow "L" plate!

But do you know what? I still had a hoot, even with 33 horses.

O.B

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Haha, nice! Well, just think how fast it will be once restored to full power! :laugh:

·
Chiperator
5,539 Posts
Nice. I always thought it was great riding my "slow" SV fast and pissing off people on far faster bikes, but you doing it with 33 horses definitely takes that adage to a whole new level. :cool2:

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
You are now officially my hero!!
:whawhat: whoa I've never heard Al say that. He must really mean it, Blue!

I hope you're not too disappointed when you discover that twice the horsepower only increases your top speed by 20%. You do realize this......right?

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:whawhat: whoa I've never heard Al say that. He must really mean it, Blue!

I hope you're not too disappointed when you discover that twice the horsepower only increases your top speed by 20%. You do realize this......right?
Well....yeah!

It was funny because I usually pull out a few lengths on my mate Lex, and the other day he was opening up a lead of 100 yards or more. There was something in the back of my mind the whole day whispering "something's very wrong here..."

The good news is that I had a guy at Suzuki today do that great thing that you hear now and then ... he started a sentence with "Now, you didn't here this from me ...."

He went on to say that the primary LAMS restriction is the ECU preventing the secondary butterflies from fully opening. Allegedly, happiness can be had by simply removing the secondary butterflies altogether, then spending a little dyno time to richen up the top end.

On the surface of it, it makes sense.

I'll let you all know how that goes, eh?

O.B

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
thats a funny story :laugh:

im also looking to buy a sv650 track beater. ill make sure its not a 33hp ecu, but then again, it sounds like its not a big deal if it is :rofl:

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
not sure how the powerband on the restricted bike was, but my sv didn't think twice about getting up to ~95mph (105 on speedo, which are known to be way off)

·
Registered
289 Posts
get a ecu

hey blue, funnily enough i have a LAMS sv650s, im assuming yours is blue with white stripe or the other way round. ive just sold it as my 2010 daytona SE has arrived from QLD and im getting RWC as we speak. the ecu does all the restriction im not 100% sure how it does it, but the power tapers off 6000RPM and above. you could wind it out but there was no point other than the noise. all i did was contact an ebay wrecker in the US and luckily he was wrecking an 09 sv, i got the ecu shipped to melbourne for $150. if your try source them here you are looking at 500-2000 grand from the dealer. simply lifted the seat and swaped out the ecu, exactly the same shape and size, fired up and away i went with 76hp up from 33. much nicer. if your sv is 09 (which im assuming it is as they only released the LAMS scheme here in 08 or 09). you need to make sure you get an 08 or newer ecu from the states as they added a oxygen sensor to the exhaust or something so dont know how an older one would run. also i think anything from california runs different cos of the completly different emissions laws there. so ide avoid a cali ecu aswel. hope that helps

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
thats a funny story :laugh:

im also looking to buy a sv650 track beater. ill make sure its not a 33hp ecu, but then again, it sounds like its not a big deal if it is :rofl:
Isn't it a Euro thing? I wasn't aware any US bikes were restricted from the factory. :noclue: In the US as long as you have a driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement you can ride whatever you want.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Blue, just heard from the guy that mapped my ECU. He says it was an absolute PITA and he wishes he had just gotten a PCIII. He recommends you get a new ECU if this other deal falls through.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blue, just heard from the guy that mapped my ECU. He says it was an absolute PITA and he wishes he had just gotten a PCIII. He recommends you get a new ECU if this other deal falls through.
Fair enough then - thanks for the tip. I should know very soon if this "dump the butterflies" routine works. A PC3/5 might be in the future anyhow ... we'll see.

Meanwhile here's a pretty average shot of me at the Australia Day track day. If you squint, you can almost see the "L" plate ... oh, and the D675 tail cowl!

O.B

·
Super Moderator
2,821 Posts
... he started a sentence with "Now, you didn't here this from me ...."

O.B
How did you know he spelled hear wrong!? You really are a man of amazing talents! :laugh:

That is a great story though, you must be really awesome in the corners. I have A LOT to learn on the track, you probably would have been passing me with 33 hp.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How did you know he spelled hear wrong!? You really are a man of amazing talents! :laugh:

That is a great story though, you must be really awesome in the corners. I have A LOT to learn on the track, you probably would have been passing me with 33 hp.
Damn.

First spello of the year and it's not even February yet. I'm losing my touch.

Thanks, but nah, I'm not a particularly talented rider, just determined! If I have someone to chase I can do okay, but I'm certainly a long way from breaking any lap records.

I have a whole heap of fun, though, trust me!

O.B

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Isn't it a Euro thing? I wasn't aware any US bikes were restricted from the factory. :noclue: In the US as long as you have a driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement you can ride whatever you want.
yes im almost sure that is the case. i was just saying its not really a big deal if old blue was passing bikes with 3-5x more hp. i have never seen an sv limited like that in the states. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts