Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When talking about gear, it seems that the topic quickly shifts towards helmets and jackets, with gloves and footwear coming in at a close second. I'd like to know what you guys prefer to wear on the lower half of your body, whether it be kevlar re-inforced denim riding jeans, leathers, or good ole' fashioned $10 WalMart specials. I'm in the market for a good pair of riding pants, and I'm leaning towards the denim department, but just wanted some opinions on what fits and functions well.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Icon Automag overpants, or ordinary heavy leather pants if need to access my pockets, but they're far less protective, I'm thinking of getting knee protectors for them.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
I've been really happen with my Olympia AirGlide II mesh pants. Very comfortable (I just wear them over my undies). Crash-tested and did great, with just a very small rip on the hip seam. The hip armor could stand to be a little better, and I think one would do well by ordering the "cut-able" armor material from Aerostich and replacing the pads in the Olympias.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Draggin are kind of the official pants if your not wearing leathers (in australia), so check out their site. They are the same as most kevlar pants if your shopping in Jersey tho.

I had a pair of these at one stage.
http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorb...gender=2&destinazione_uso=44&cat=21&subcat=23
Beutiful construction like all Dianese stuff, baggy not ***** and comfy as hell. Inbuilt hip and knee pads (removable).

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use the Sartso biker black kevlar jeans offer more protection then any icon or shift pants and you can even get knee pad inserts. Your waist to passed your knees has a full kevlar lining so if anything happens you still have an ass cheek.

the site with all the info is www.sartso.com

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
2 piece leathers if I'm wearing shorts, Icon leg armor if I'm wearing jeans. I wear an athletic cup with either one, especially for track riding. Groin injuries are more common than you'd think...

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
+1 on Icon Automag leather overpants. I also heard finally some other companies are starting to make them. IIRC River Road Gear has some as well (but I like the look of the Icon ones MUCH better) (http://www.riverroadgear.com/Apparel/ClassicCollection/BravadoOverpant.html

If you go the Icon route I recommend better knee and shin armor than what is provided. I use Azonics BMX armor for that. Thinner, better, and always in the right spot. Ive crashed on the Icons twice and both are holding up just fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Personally, if i'm riding around town then i'll wear "Hornee" kevlar jeans (similar to Draggin/Icon/Shift etc) with dirtbike knee braces. I don't know if you've ever fallen off a pushbike on the bitumen before but the abrasion is not the only thing to worry about; if your knee digs into the road it will do a hell of a lot of damage to ligaments etc.

As soon as the speed is increasing to anything over 60-80kph i then put on the Alpinestars leather pants that zip to my jacket.

It really depends on how much you value your body. Personally, i have fallen off enough bikes to know that it hurts and that being out of action for extended periods of time is a bad thing so i protect myself as much as i can and am not concerned about being uncomfortable/hot/bulky etc.

If you go the textile route also, be careful with what you get. I have seen many textile "mesh" jackets completely disintegrate into nothing in very low speed falls so i can imagine that the pants will be exactly the same.
I personally don't wear any textile gear anymore as i am not confident with its abrasion resistance.

That is just my $0.02 and i'm sure others out there will tell you the exact opposite. Wear what you're comfortable with (as long as its not shorts and thongs/flip flops).

·
Banned
365 Posts
Personally, if i'm riding around town then i'll wear "Hornee" kevlar jeans (similar to Draggin/Icon/Shift etc) with dirtbike knee braces. I don't know if you've ever fallen off a pushbike on the bitumen before but the abrasion is not the only thing to worry about; if your knee digs into the road it will do a hell of a lot of damage to ligaments etc.

As soon as the speed is increasing to anything over 60-80kph i then put on the Alpinestars leather pants that zip to my jacket.

It really depends on how much you value your body. Personally, i have fallen off enough bikes to know that it hurts and that being out of action for extended periods of time is a bad thing so i protect myself as much as i can and am not concerned about being uncomfortable/hot/bulky etc.

If you go the textile route also, be careful with what you get. I have seen many textile "mesh" jackets completely disintegrate into nothing in very low speed falls so i can imagine that the pants will be exactly the same.
I personally don't wear any textile gear anymore as i am not confident with its abrasion resistance.

That is just my $0.02 and i'm sure others out there will tell you the exact opposite. Wear what you're comfortable with (as long as its not shorts and thongs/flip flops).
Agreed on the mesh:
Like Liam Neeson in k-19 "They may as well be wearing raincoats!"

They make it a bit harder to grip the tank, but if your wearing jeans and you can fit them underneath comfortably, knee-shin combo armor offers impact protection. The protection that should come (with ideally) but before abrasion protection

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wear what you're comfortable with (as long as its not shorts and thongs/flip flops).
Yeah you'd be amazed how much of that you see in Hawaii. I use Dainese Knee V under my jeans:

They are a bit long in combination with my Sidi's, but I guess double the shin protection isn't a bad thing.

I'll wear AlpineStars padded compression shorts, but not all the time...stitching gets itchy.

Problem with a lot of overpants is that the fit is so loose that the armor and padding will move around during a crash or slide.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I use the Sartso biker black kevlar jeans offer more protection then any icon or shift pants and you can even get knee pad inserts. Your waist to passed your knees has a full kevlar lining so if anything happens you still have an ass cheek.

I checked out that website and am interested in the "biker black" jeans...

Would you say the knee armor would be held securely in place?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Sartso looks like a great product, will have to check them out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ya the knee armor would stay in place i have the biker blacks in size 32 @ my local cycle store riderschoice or riderchoice.ca they had a sample out to look out where i showed the kevlar and knee protector pocket, they are very well made ive been savin to grab a 2nd pair of the sartso pants im thinking sartso-spirals nxt as i liek the style but just the protection make more like them more

·
Registered
103 Posts
ya the sizing is super close to jeans i wear 32 and got a 32 and they have a little extra room but pretty much a regular 32

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
+1 on Icon Automag leather overpants. I also heard finally some other companies are starting to make them. IIRC River Road Gear has some as well (but I like the look of the Icon ones MUCH better) (http://www.riverroadgear.com/Apparel/ClassicCollection/BravadoOverpant.html

If you go the Icon route I recommend better knee and shin armor than what is provided. I use Azonics BMX armor for that. Thinner, better, and always in the right spot. Ive crashed on the Icons twice and both are holding up just fine.
+1.

Automags with a bit of backup armour.

O.B

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
When I wrote off my old 675 one thing that I learnt was that a cup is invaluable. my balls were the only thing injured in the crash.

I'll be surprised if I'm still capable of reproduction.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts