Triumph 675 Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
I still occasionally hit up the FZ6R forum I started out with, and there's a thread on there about that bike having the same reclassification by Rider Ins. It only has 65hp! Same reason was given. Sounds like they're just losing too much money and are passing it on to everyone. I mean, if that bike is a full on sport bike, what does that make a S1000RR? Do they have a class above Sport Bike?
Yeah, I was one of the FZ6R guys that got reclassified. I went to progressive and saved 2-300 over what Rider was bumping me to. Fawkers.

Rider Insurance- Daytona 675 New rates

Sad but true, I'm 55 years old and put approx. 2500 miles a year on my 675, old rate was approx 270 per year, new rate doubled plus +, Rider stating reason many claims on this bike

Discussion starter · #23 ·
They are doing this for a lot of bikes. Really bad move on their part. I can see them losing a lot of business. They basically said FU to European motorcycle riders.
I was on the fence about Rider after my last claim, which was not my fault. I was hit from behind when stopped. They basically were going to give me $2000 less than what was due. Rider was going to give me $25 and hour labor since I was working on the bike myself and prorated all my motorcycle gear. I was told if I brought it to a dealership they would pay the full labor price. I went to the "at fault" insurance company and they took care of me plus more. I got the check 4 days later. I will never use rider ever again after this BS.

Motorcycle Reclassification - Effective 6/1/14 the following motorcycles are being reclassified to sport / high performance motorcycles for new business and renewals:

Aprilia: RS Series, Dorsoduro, Mana 850, Shiver 750 and the Tuono V4
Benelli: Tornado and Café
BMW: F800R, HP4, R1200R, K1300S, S100RR
Ducati: All Models
Honda: VFR
Hyosung: GT650 Series
Kawasaki Versys
KTM: Super Duke R1290, Duke 690, RC8
Triumph: Speed Triple Series, Daytona Series
Yamaha: FZ

Response I got from Rider's after questioning the hikes:

Good Morning Mr. xxxxxxxx:

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Rider's Motorcycle / ATV Classifications are based on the insurance risk associated with the particular makes and models. This is something that is reviewed periodically and adjusted according. Unfortunately, due to high losses associated with certain makes and models, they were reclassified and are now considered a high performance vehicle under the Rider Insurance guidelines.

Thank you for your concern for your fellow riders.

Rider Insurance

If vehicles can be "re-classified" at any time to high performance, who determines which model is "high performance"? If Groms start squidding left and right, will they be considered high performance? Wonder what the parameters are for inception? Seems as though poor riding and high crash rates dictate as such. I assume they can't use "high crash probability" due to manufacturers crying fowl.
I see where they're coming from, I mean they have to cover their a$$. But in my opinion there's absolutely no reason to use them for insurance; their prices suck and every time I've called I was never impressed with their customer service.

My 08 daytona 675 used to cost me $298 full coverage when I was 22 my 2011 speed triple used to cost me $712 a year full coverage when I was 23 now I am looking at 2010 bmw s1000 and they told me well right now it will only be $646 for full coverage and you will pay what is left on on your policy term but in March when I renew it will cost me $1930 thats triple the amount of money Riders response we are still cheaper than other companies rates for your age and this bike.....bottom line is I believe it has nothing to do with the bike its all a number gave make their rates about the same as the rest

I just got a letter from Rider a few days ago. Apparently as of Oct, they won't be covering trackdays any more either.
I don't think any companies here in Australia cover trackdays... At least not that I've found. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
I just changed insurance companies a few days ago. Now paying $75/month. Only a small saving from the previous $90/month but the new policy also covers up to $2500 for riding gear and all aftermarket bits and pieces. Also free towing if over 100km from home, and if unable to get home, will cover up to $1000 for accommodation.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.