Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received this email from Roger Lyle.. Met him when I took my racing school with Motorcycle Xcitement last year. He was a very good man. May he rest in peace.

Al Wilcox, Rest In Peace. January 4,1919 - February 3, 2011

Legendary Motorcycle Race Starter and former Harley-Davidson factory racer from 1948-1951, AMA National #49, AL Wilcox, 92, "The Trenton Flash" from New Jersey passed away February 3, 2011 at 8:30 am at Capital Health Center, just five blocks from his home that he lived in for 82 years. Yesterday I spoke with Al over the phone and I explained his plaque that we are placing at the Daytona 200 monument on March 9. He seemed very pleased when I read it to him.
"Airborne Al" was a great man! His loving wife, Julia, had passed away 12 years ago, and Al managed to keep on starting WERA races and flagging for Motorcycle Xcitement. He lived for the days he was going to the racetrack to be with his friends. And the stories he would tell were the best. In the last few years, Al's brother Ralph, 87, has been coming to the track with Al. Al was always first man on the track and last to come in. He has started and flagged thousands of races and racers from novices to world champions for the last 52 years. He has inspired so many racers, so many fans.
What an amazing person and the wonderful stories about racing and the characters involved.

Funeral arrangements are being made now and we will get back to you with that information.
A celebration of Al Wilcox's life will happen on April 1 and 2 at Summit Point Raceway. If you have any photos or videos of Al you would like to share for the celebration, please call Roger Lyle at 301-933-2599

God Bless Al Wilcox, You are the MAN! Your life sure was a great race, Al. You will always be in our hearts. This checkered flag is for Al Wilcox. Race on to heaven.
Joan and Roger Lyle
www.MotorcycleXcitement.com

·
Registered
202 Posts
Godspeed Flying AL, racer, race starter, and an amazing human being, the world and motorcyling was a better place because of him. I met Al and Julia in 1986 at the start/finish line that bears his name, he had love for racing and racers. This past summer our paths crossed again at the Hagerstown National where he was honored and in his element the dirt track, I was amazed. His most special act was when he gave my good friend his checked flag with tears in his and crackling voice after his 17 year old lost his life in 1989 at Road Atl, I know he is heaven and Julia met him with a smile and a hug. RIP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.