Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am replacing my head gasket for a couple of reasons. Head gasket sweating coolant, slight overheating [after idling in around -10c in a garage for 20 min it was at 6 bars.] The thermometer area is leaking coolant. So I presume the thermometer has gone and or maybe the water pump which built up pressure lifting the head for a second. Causing sweating.

Also thinking this might be my issue^

I am by no means a mechanic, so my diagnosis might be wrong.

Is there anything I should replace when I am in my engine other than the gasket?
Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

My bike is a 2010 675 if that helps. Also sorry for the bad photos...

Thanks in advance for any replies/help.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
3,997 Posts
You'll need to replace the head bolts as well. They are single use.
Do you understand that the motor will need to be dropped to remove the head? It's not really a job for a novice. Do you have a service manual?

Why have you posted this in the introductions section?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll need to replace the head bolts as well. They are single use.
Do you understand that the motor will need to be dropped to remove the head? It's not really a job for a novice. Do you have a service manual?

Why have you posted this in the introductions section?
Ahh ok, I will order some head bolts.

Yup, I'm aware that I need to take it out. I have already taken the bike apart to where I just need to take out the frame bolts and loosen the frame adjuster things.

I don't have a service manual but plan on getting one for torque specs and such. If you have a link to one online that would be great.

Sorry, I'm new to posting in this forum. Wasn't aware I was posting in the introductions section lol

Also, I was doing some research and found out that triumph sells race head gaskets at different thicknesses. Would it be more advantageous to use one of those over the stock one? I don't track/race my bike [Yet] just some aggressive street riding.

Cheers

· Super Moderator
3,997 Posts
You can find free service manuals all over the internet. Fitting the motor requires a very precise sequence for the frame adjusters. Failure to do so can result in an unbalanced motor which will stress the frame and lead to the welds cracking.
I doubt anyone still sells race head gaskets(obsolete) but stick with stock anyway.
Replace the radiator cap and thermostat while you're at it.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can find free service manuals all over the internet. Fitting the motor requires a very precise sequence for the frame adjusters. Failure to do so can result in an unbalanced motor which will stress the frame and lead to the welds cracking.
I doubt anyone still sells race head gaskets(obsolete) but stick with stock anyway.
Replace the radiator cap and thermostat while you're at it.
Ok sounds good. I ordered a stock head gasket and all the other things.

Found a service manual online, and saw what you meant with the frame adjusters. Was looking in the forums and saw a thread from 2012 in which you commented, saying instead of buying the triumph tool just make your own. Could I not just use a large flathead screwdriver, and hand tighten it seeing as 3 nm is nothing?

As he is doing in this video, skip to 1:12.
Might be the wrong way to do it, just curious.

True they do run hot, but from my experience. I would get 6 maybe 7 bars in hot-ish weather [25-30c] stop-and-go traffic/ long stoplights. Not in -10c with the garage door open, only idling.
Then again I may be wrong.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts