Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some say it can be removed with out any hassle - some dont.

Can anyone else confirm this with a picture?
I'm thinking of removing the rear decals "street triple r" on my matt graphite -09
And I want to be absolutely sure that it doesnt leave a glossy finish underneath the sticker...

Why I ask is because some people around forums state that the matt finish of the "R" is created with a very thin layer of matt coat after fitting the decals/stickers.

Right or wrong?

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
so, what about the other colors? would there be any issues removing the decals from, say, a white STR?

what's the best way to do it?

There's a white R-spec? The regular Striple logo is clear-coated over, so you'd have to sand off the clear. I've sanded on a damaged tank, and Triumph put a lot of clear over the color (at least on the green). There would have been no way to get the logo off without a lot of work and re-spray.

·
Registered
27 Posts
you know, in all honesty, the first thing i wanted to do was remove the stickers.

i mean, classy as they are...

i just think the bike has such an iconic and striking form, that it really doesn't need any added decal-type branding, and without the branding, that form can really come forward.

i'm not much for branding if the design speaks for itself. in this case it does.

but, since they're sealed in tight, guess they stay.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i remember being able to feel the edge of the decal on the matte finish. You might be able to heat the decal with a heat gun and peel it off. I'd hit up a few body shops in the area first and get some advice before I started messing around with it though.

·
Registered
660 Posts
oops, i meant white street triple, not a white STR... although i think its a pretty good idea...

so, its clear coated over? damn, there goes that plan.
Non-Matte Finish:

If you mean the decals on the tail section, yes they can be peeled off using a razor blade without too much difficulty. They are clear coated, so there will be a slight raised edge around the outline, which shows up more as the bike gets dirty, but still much better than those ugly decals, IMHO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey jonsson-i posted this on triumphrat as well...

i have an '11 matte graphite...so i can't speak for the specifics of the triumph painting process in '09...that being said the first thing i did was remove those R stickers, not a fan of those at all. removal led to the gloss showing underneath the matte clear coat where the sticker used to be as others have stated on the forum [i missed this info during my initial research..and my local now defunct dealer was willing to remove them, so i took this as evidence that it would look okay-not]. i just pealed them up with a fingernail...and use goo-gone to get rid of any residue. one came off in one piece really easily...the second was a total PITA and came off in bits and pieces.

not satisfied with the gloss "R" shape on the panels i tracked down the paint codes and had them re-cleared. you should know that the amount of paint required to do the job massively exceeds how much paint needs to be sprayed on the parts. i found my paint guy through the paint supplier as standox/dupont is not exactly everywhere. the painter was willing to take a scaled approach to the job and would only buy the color if he wasn't able to properly sand down the edge left by the sticker. color plus matte clear in the minimum quantities would have been in the $300-$350 neighborhood for paint alone. he was able to deal with the edge w/o burning through the paint...so it worked out well and he only spayed and i only paid for the matte coat. he stated that it did work out well because triumph gloss clears the color and then adds the sticker and matte clears as final...if they hadn't gloss cleared the graphite color he would have been putting color on the panels too...

my other piece of advice would be to matte clear the tail cowl at the same time if you have that fitted. the mattes are notoriously finicky in terms of the finish coming up right. very temperamental...and you want stuff to match.

anyway, pics attached-just shot with a phone in not a lot of light...excuse the quality. WAY better now imo.

i can pass on the color codes and info from standox if you like. there are 6 different tones that make up that graphite color...pretty cool.

p

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts