Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to take my passenger pegs off this afternoon, as my girlfriend won't ride if it's below 75 degree. I easily removed 3 of the 4 bolts, but the last one is making me mad.

The front bolt on the right hand side has very little clearance down to the pipe. I noticed how long the other bolts were, and thought "Surely Triumph will put a shorter bolt in this one." Well, it's obviously the same length, and there isn't enough room to back it out all the way before my ratcheting wrench hits the exhaust pipe.

So what's the secret, guys? See my photo below for exactly what my problem is.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
open ended wrench, works with my Arrow slipons....still a pain, but doable

·
Registered
22 Posts
The bracket hangar that holds the exhaust to the sub-frame, remove the nut and slide the bracket off the bolt and then loosen the clamp to the exhaust...this will give you room to shift it over for you to get to the nut off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
While your at it go ahead and remove the heavy stock exhaust and put a low boy on...you'll love the way the bike handles after removing over 25 lbs of weight - this includes the passenger foot pegs... (also easier to remove without that stock exhaust) :hooray:

·
Registered
36 Posts
i could be completely wrong here, as i have arrow exhaust too... but if i recall when i took mine off so i could mount my hard saddle bags, I'm certain i used a wrench to hold the nut, and an allen key to loosen the bolt? Which brought the bolt out towards me :nod: lol It was 6 months ago though, so i might be telling stories :coolgleamA:

·
Registered
251 Posts
A bit less twisting the wrist than an open ended wrench - you can get a ratchet ring spanner that's as flat as the open ender.

Rob

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. If there's only one thing to remember here, it's "OPEN ENDED wrench!"

Where I ran into a problem was thinking the ratching (closed end) wrench would be way faster than the regular (non ratcheting) open end.

Once I had the bolt backed out about 95% of the way, that's when my wrench was hitting the exhaust pipe. Sadly, the ratcheting mechanism on my set isn't reversible, so I was kind of stuck. I tried several different dumb ways to get the bolt even a millimeter or two back up to remove the wrench, but to no avail.

I started to have a little success with using a small open adjustable wrench directly on the bolt, and got a turn back into the subframe. Then I thought I'd probably be crushing a few threads, and just wasting time by ruining the bolt, so I just cut the bolt in half, and that solved my problem instantly.

So it's "lesson learned" I guess. I'll have to get a new bolt in a few months if/when I put the rear pegs back on, but cutting it certainly seemed like a better option than screwing with it longer or potentially denting the exhaust trying to wiggle out the wrench. Next time- shorter bolt or open ended wrench. :cool:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Even if you couldn't reverse the ratcheting mechanism, you should still have been able to push the foot peg and the wrench back up toward the frame and off of the head of the bolt which would have allowed you to get a regular open ended wrench onto the head.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, "should have" and reality weren't meshing here. Like i said, the bolt was backed out just enough that the wrench was pinned to the exhaust. I could move the footpeg holder all I wanted.
Lesson learned, and a tiny lack Of foresight. I'm not worried.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Am I missing something??

Why not just remove the exhaust for 2 mins and put it back on. Costs 1 min and you're done.

·
Banned
941 Posts
While your at it go ahead and remove the heavy stock exhaust and put a low boy on...you'll love the way the bike handles after removing over 25 lbs of weight - this includes the passenger foot pegs... (also easier to remove without that stock exhaust) :hooray:
ahahahah...i had my lowboy installed before i considered taking off my passenger pegs. i had no probs removing them....lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with that same bolt. The wrench ended up getting stuck against the exhaust and I couldn't do it up again because the bolt just moved in whatever direction I moved the wrench. I ended up having to remove the rear right side panel to unbolt the exhaust, then bent the pipe out of the way to retrieve the wrench.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts