Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe a stupid question but my bike is in the shop right now so i cant look myself. I want to get a carbon upper chain guard.

Do you have to remove the tire to get the old chain guard off?

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
No but it's a pretty tight fit trying to reach from the back end of it to hold nuts in place while you unscrew the bolts. I would imagine that if you hand Andre the Giant hands then yeah you'd have an issue but other than that you should be fine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just removed mine to paint it. It took all of about 5 minutes!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just use a socket extension and you can reach both bolts from the right side of the bike, one of them is a little tight but it takes like 60 seconds to remove it. Once you pop them loose with a socket just remove them by hand.

If you're using the DuPont lube, and have cleaned any previously used grease from the chain, you don't even really need the chain guard as there's nothing to be flung off it (I took mine off after the first chain cleaning).

·
MacGyver / BOTM / BOTY Winner
1,253 Posts
Mike, if you still have your upper chainguard off, you might consider modifying it to attach further rearward. I made some simple aluminum brackets from flat stock that shift the guard rearward about 30mm. The same attaching holes in the swingarm are used. I'll try to capture some decent photos of those brackets in place.

STOCK location

MOVED 30mm rearward

30mm isn't a great distance but it's just enough to keep nearly 100% of the flung-off grease from sticking to you and your bike.

·
MacGyver / BOTM / BOTY Winner
1,253 Posts
No freak heat wave, mosquito. Those two photos were taken at least 2 years ago in the summer! Hmm, "summer". I'm lucky I remember how to spell it, none the less "see" it. Patience is a virtue. I'll shoot you a PM soon and hopefully we can hook up.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
There's a carbon fibre extended chain guard in the GB, for those who want to catch carbon fever.

I would personally avoid removing it altogether for security reasons, but to each their own :whistle:

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is an old thread but about a topic current to me. I have a 2013 Street Triple R and started to go about replacing the hugger with a longer one. Trying to remove the left side bolt, it stripped but I was able to get vice grips on it to finish the removal. On the right side, the rear bolt came out relatively easily but the front one has locked up and stripped. Further, it is recessed so the vice grips won't work. What the heck did they do to cause this much hassle? Looks like maybe LocTite but it must be the red type. Anyone else dealt with this? As an aside, the bolts were as soft as the mid-70s Japanese hardware.

Reading some of the other posts suggests the mounting was different for earlier years. I don't think there are any nuts of the 13, just threaded holes.

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is an old thread but about a topic current to me. I have a 2013 Street Triple R and started to go about replacing the hugger with a longer one. Trying to remove the left side bolt, it stripped but I was able to get vice grips on it to finish the removal. On the right side, the rear bolt came out relatively easily but the front one has locked up and stripped. Further, it is recessed so the vice grips won't work. What the heck did they do to cause this much hassle? Looks like maybe LocTite but it must be the red type. Anyone else dealt with this? As an aside, the bolts were as soft as the mid-70s Japanese hardware.

Reading some of the other posts suggests the mounting was different for earlier years. I don't think there are any nuts of the 13, just threaded holes.
I had the same issue when I removed my chain guard from my 13 ST3. I thought for a minute that maybe it was destined to stay on forever lol. But a little heat and the bolt loosened up for me. But it was the blue Loctite on mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts