Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've owned a lot of different bikes, and I've had the most (albeit minor) issues with my Daytona. As a member of this forum I've seen an inordinant number of posts about blown engines, engine swaps, engine WTBs etc. So, bottom line, do these bikes suffer more mechanical issues than Japanese bikes or is it just my imagination?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
just your imagination imho

most of the blown engines are because of owner / previous owner negligence of not checking the oil and letting it run low. some motors do burn oil and so you have to keep an eye out for that.

other times, it's because it's cheaper to buy a used engine than it is to rebuild an engine, whether it be for racing or engine refreshes.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
just your imagination imho

most of the blown engines are because of owner / previous owner negligence of not checking the oil and letting it run low. some motors do burn oil and so you have to keep an eye out for that.

other times, it's because it's cheaper to buy a used engine than it is to rebuild an engine, whether it be for racing or engine refreshes.
+1. I think they are on par with the japanese reliability. I just think it seems more prevalent because our bikes are not as popular versus typical japanese so the ratio of breakdowns to # of bikes out there can seem skewed.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
If you hung out at the track more, you'd probably see more Japanese motors that have gone boom as well. Check out some of the racing forums, and you'll find japanese bikes parted out, many of which have a thrown rod or something. Just no value in rebuilding the motor on most of them, where the Triumph holds a little more value.

But overall, I would say that mile vs. mile, the Japanese motors are better engineered. Although I've seen some pretty bad Honda failures lately.

·
Registered
123 Posts
id say about the same, ive had problems with a lot of jap bikes (all carbed bikes though) but no engine problems with my daytona, and thats even with a low side and a high side off. ive seen jap bike run to 25k+ and ive seen em die at 5k, same with the daytona.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
Just hang around jap bike forums, you will see the same thing most of the time. And Rich is correct, definitely a lot on the racing forums.

We have many members with trouble free Daytona's, and then we have several with lemons it seems. I am sure if we took the time we would find comparable numbers throughout the industry.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well I think your missing out on the silent majority who have had no problems with their 675s. Mine has been rock solid. I have spent more time working on my friends Yamaha and Kawi then my Triumph. Having to replace a water pump on a bike that is a few years old so yes Japanese bikes have their problems too. One reason why these forums exist is that people with problems are going to post questions to try and get help with it. That is what your going to see if you look at any forum site.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My bike has only been in the shop once, and that wasn't due to anything wrong. USPS apparently thought my bike was the curb.

Past that the only issue I've ever had in the 4 years I've owned it was the exhaust valve crapping out. A few bolts and snips later that POS part was gone.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
Why is it that people can't ever do a search? The "reliability" question comes up at least once a week.
Eh its usually like every 8.5 days actually. :whistle:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts