Triumph 675 Forums banner

Recovery after TPF and AC Shoulder Dislocation

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Mario123 
#1 ·
On 25 October 2013 I had a motorcycle accident on the race track during practice (Brunch Run Class in South Africa) - doing approximately 170km/h (estimate). I sustained a Comminuted Tibia Plateau Fracture of the right knee and Acromuo Clavicular Grade IV Dislocation of the right shoulder.

I had my knee operation on 29 October 2013 and shoulder operation on 5 November 2013. I have a full length knee brace and my arm is in a sling most of the time. I am wheelchair bound as I can't use crutches with my shoulder injury.

At week 4 after the knee operation I am at 75 degrees flexion and 10 degrees extension. The PT is quite happy with the progress to date.

On 26 November 2013 my wife rushed me to hospital as I was really struggling to breathe. X-rays of my lungs revealed a partially collapsed lung/lobe as a result of an infection (luckily not from a blood clot). I am feeling much better now but I can feel I can't use the full capacity of my lungs yet.

My recovery is going to be very long as I need to regain full use of my shoulder so that I can start using crutches for partial load bearing on the knee.

The bike is much more lucky than me. Some engine cover damage, fairing scratches, broken front brake and rear brake lever. Will post some pics if I find them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Man, what an absolute bummer. I'm glad you are alive, but being in pain and struggling to recover is just terrible. I wish a speedy convalescence and hope you can get back to normal soon.

#6 ·
Sorry to hear about your injuries. Modern techniques for bone injuries/breaks are just so much better now than a few decades ago: about 35 years ago I had a cage accident in which I broke left leg and arm, and lung also collapsed. Was in hospital for 3 months and took another 5 months before being able to walk without crutches.

I hope you heal up completely soon and are able to repair your bike in time to still be able to ride again this summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.