Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Recently, the bike does a metallic rattling noise, coming from somewhere in the engine
It does this sound only when it's cold, until it reaches at least 1 bar of heat. Then it stops and everything sounds fine.
It is dificult to capture it in a sound clip though, as it does not do it every time.
It did it twice a week ago and once today.
Best way i can describe it, is a crackling - rattling metallic noise which increases if i rev it a bit. It is pretty loud and very noticeable and it certainly is not normal as it wasnt there before!

Any help...?

·
Registered
80 Posts
thin oil or low oil level can do this. Or maybe cam chain needs adjustment. 2 stabs in the dark for you

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thin oil or low oil level can do this. Or maybe cam chain needs adjustment. 2 stabs in the dark for you
Ι recently changed my oil from Mobil1 15-50, to AMSoil 10-40. Maybe this is the reason? Also used the filter of AMSoil insted of the OEM.
The oil level is fine.
Where exactly in the engine do you think this sound comes from? (If it is because of the oil)

Should this sound bother me? Or is it a harmless sound? Could it possibly cause harm to the engine? and if yes where exactly?

THanks for your asnwer!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
is it more of a ding or tick, does it differ on rpm or stay tthe same, perhaps a video of it?

also what yr is your bike?

hope you find the anwser.....do a search for odd motor noise and blown engines on the forum to see if anyone else has what you got

could be -not trying to scare ya

-low coolant
-bad t stat
-bad bearing
-dirty plug (s)
-bad fuel
-loose or overtightened valve
-debree junk in oil pan near catch screen
-carbon buildup in engine
-and the list goes on

might even deal with the r/r and electrical system so give that a quick look

·
Registered
3,174 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
+1.... Do a search for cam chain tensioner or CCT. It's a common problem with our bikes and you will find lots of information on it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is it more of a ding or tick, does it differ on rpm or stay tthe same, perhaps a video of it?

also what yr is your bike?

hope you find the anwser.....do a search for odd motor noise and blown engines on the forum to see if anyone else has what you got

could be -not trying to scare ya

-low coolant
-bad t stat
-bad bearing
-dirty plug (s)
-bad fuel
-loose or overtightened valve
-debree junk in oil pan near catch screen
-carbon buildup in engine
-and the list goes on

might even deal with the r/r and electrical system so give that a quick look
Ιt is a quite loud tick-tick-tick noise. the rythm of it increases as the rmp increase.
Does it only for a minute when the bike is totaly cold. then stops.
It is a 2008 daytona 675 but first time on the road just a year ago, so it is almost new. 10.000miles.
It is difficult as i said, to capture it in a video, as it does not do it every time i turn it on. I have to carry a camera on me (far days) everytime i start the engine to be lucky enough to capture it.
I even left it at my mechanic for a whole day. WE turned it on 3 times. One at morning, one at midday, and one at evening. We were not lucky enough to listen to this sound. Then 4 days later, did it again.
What should i do when there is no way to make my mechanic listen to it!
How would he diagnose, if he is not lucky enough to listen..
Only if i gave him my bike for a week he might got lucky enough to listen to it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
CCT (cam chain tensioner) get the APE its cheaper than triumph Race:thumbup:

http://www.hordpower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_55&products_id=335

........ also could be valves how many miles you have on your bike, that would be more of a tapping sound though.
thank you.
Less than 10.000 miles. (11.500km to be accurate) Never touched the valves.

EDIT: Just got lucky(?) enough to make my mechanic's assistant to listen to the sound! I brought him where the bike was parked, and started the engine, cold. The sound was there, so he listened.
He said, it is not the chain cam tensioner.
He will talk to the main mechanic and maybe later today, they will check my bike again.
At least one case is written off the list... I was hoping though that it would be the tensioner .

·
Registered
298 Posts
He may have said that because the place the cam chain hits the case is on the opposite side of the CCT. I just replaced my CCT and I had the same exact symptoms you have described. Here is a good thread on this. How-to: Install Race Cam Chain Tensioner - Triumph675.Net Forums It is long and there are some pics that show where the chain hits. The pic below comes from post 109 in the thread. There are other pics that show worse damage, but this one was pretty much like mine was. I have pointed to where the chain typically hits the case. You can see that little lip of metal. The CCT is located basically above the socket on the left side of the pic.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He may have said that because the place the cam chain hits the case is on the opposite side of the CCT. I just replaced my CCT and I had the same exact symptoms you have described. Here is a good thread on this. How-to: Install Race Cam Chain Tensioner - Triumph675.Net Forums It is long and there are some pics that show where the chain hits. The pic below comes from post 109 in the thread. There are other pics that show worse damage, but this one was pretty much like mine was. I have pointed to where the chain typically hits the case. You can see that little lip of metal. The CCT is located basically above the socket on the left side of the pic.

No news yet from the chief mechanic, but the assistant told me that the sound looks like it comes from the top-right of the engine. Not low-right where the tensioner is.
I will read all the post that you linked me, but I have to tell you from what i have already read from it, that the difference that i find is that they mention something about a sound arround 7-8k rpm. Mine sounds loud enough, even at idle.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh, i see. I ll have him double check the tensioner then. And even if the problem is not there, maybe I ll just change the CCM anyway.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
No news yet from the chief mechanic, but the assistant told me that the sound looks like it comes from the top-right of the engine. Not low-right where the tensioner is.
I will read all the post that you linked me, but I have to tell you from what i have already read from it, that the difference that i find is that they mention something about a sound arround 7-8k rpm. Mine sounds loud enough, even at idle.
sound like a screw driver is tapping the valve cover "tick.tick.tick.tick.tick.tick"

then its the exhast valves the 2 on Cyl #3 they will be on the tight side and more than likely will be out of spec, but i would still do the manual CCT anyway while your getting that job done its only 50$ and it will prevent future problems of buzzing,vibration,rattling you have to take the OEM CCT out to do the valve job:thumbup:

·
Registered
298 Posts
^^^^^
Funny you say that. At the time I swapped the CCT I also checked the valves. Sure enough the only ones out of spec were the exhaust on the #3 cylinder.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
oil gets warmer/hot and starts to lube everything better therefore hideing the problem and the valves get warmer expanding as well

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Had a similar problem, which disappeared when I switched to 98 octane instead of 95. Perhaps it's the valves, indeed.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Ι recently changed my oil from Mobil1 15-50, to AMSoil 10-40. Maybe this is the reason? Also used the filter of AMSoil insted of the OEM.
Bingo!!!

I switched to a 10W40 and now use a KN oil filter instead of OEM (I doubt the oil filter has anything to do with it though) and my engine is sooooo much freaking louder. It's almost like I can hear the valves clicking and every little ding inside of it.

I'm switching back to 15W50 soon just for peace of mind...

·
Registered
111 Posts

I am having the same problem with my bike. I am waiting until our next snow storms go by to take it in. Please keep us updated on what fixes your sounds. I was thinking it might be the chain cause mine is loose but i hope it isnt anything serious.:whawhat:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts