Triumph 675 Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I'd just like to hear an explanation of why some bikes do this and others don't.
It could be as simple as different oil however it's more than likely because the tensioner is at a point where it's not quite ready to move to the next ratchet yet and will therefor be under less tension on start up until oil pressure builds up and takes up the slack. Do a bit of searching on the design and operation of the hydraulic tensioner and that will help you understand it better.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Having had my first experience with this, and assuming the worst, I'm going to switch to a slightly thicker oil. Probably a better idea here in Phoenix anyway.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I don't think it's a normal. AFAIK these Triumphs are the only ones that do this on start up. Haven't seen it on any other make. As I mentioned before, the '09 R1 had the issue and Yamaha remedied it.

In the case of a CCT going bad down the road after X amount of miles is another story. A new bike that rattles on start up is something that should raise question.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
My bike is no longer doing this noise on cold start. Not sure if like Far Canal mentioned that the hydraulic tensioner tightened up. Will see if the mysterious rattle comes back, but for now its completely gone.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Damn rattle is back. Im just gonna take the bike in to make sure its normal. Unfortunately its so intermittent not sure if the dealership will even get to hear it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Damn rattle is back. Im just gonna take the bike in to make sure its normal. Unfortunately its so intermittent not sure if the dealership will even get to hear it.
Hey, so is it like the stock hydraulic tensioner goes bad and if you replace it with a new hydraulic one then it 's fine?
Or once you start getting this noise there is no solution other than getting a manual tensioner?

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Thanks man. I was under the impression that this noise is normal and I shouldn't worry. But i'll order a new oem tensioner from triumph
It is somewhat normal. If your bike only rattles for a second or two on start-up then I wouldn't worry about it. If it rattles all the time and especially through the rev range, that is a different story and worth investigating.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is somewhat normal. If your bike only rattles for a second or two on start-up then I wouldn't worry about it. If it rattles all the time and especially through the rev range, that is a different story and worth investigating.
Yeah, it does only for 3 secs on start up after standing for a while.
But it didn't do that before, will a replace tensioner fix this as well? Have slight OCD

21 - 31 of 31 Posts