Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was out riding my daytona with a friend on his cbr. we rode out near tenterfield, and the roads are very quiet, mostly open and flowing.

I had just blasted a twisty section that goes over a range, In my little blast i had opened up a considerable gap between myself and my mate on his cbr behind me, so when the twisties turned back into long straights and flowing corners I slowed right down to let him catch up.

So i was just crusing along, waiting, looking over my shoulder, my mind starts to wander. next thing i've run off onto the grass on a right hand turn, and smacked straight into a guard rail, somehow I kept it upright, bounced off the guard rail and back onto the road and still doing 100km/h.

luckily i had all my gear on. my left boot got melted from the friction against the rail, my fingers are broken from being sandwiched between the clutch lever and handlebar. my knee slider got a chunk taken out of it.

THe bike got a broken indicator, and scratched fairing and engine cover.
Seriously lucky to get away with as little as i did. I feel really stupid for letting this one happen, I always tell my mates i'm more likely to crash when i'm going the speed limit because i get bored, and this proves i was right. I need to pay more attention at low speeds.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Ouch ouch ouch ouch ... glad you're pretty much okay.

I can relate. I was carving up a hills road years ago on my ZX/6R, followed by a friend on a Speed Triple. I almost hit a chunk of branch on the road that had been obscured in deep shadows. I tuned around to make sure my mate had seen it ... and promptly ran off the road at probably 100kph.

I didn't wind up crashing it but I remember saying over and over inside my lid "stayloosestayloosestayloosestayloose!" as the bike rolled over a 30cm wide strip of deep, loose gravel with a cliff face at its edge. Close call.

Again, glad you're in okay shape and lived to tell.

O.B

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Yeah man I know it sucks but be glad you made it out more or less unscathed. Your lucky you hit it upright. My sv650 hit a guardrail post on its side at around 85 kph and totaled the bike.

·
Registered
474 Posts
lucky one, glad your ok, lucky it was not the cheese grater wire rope barriers

·
Registered
112 Posts
Glad to hear you're not too badly hurt and the bike is okay. I agree with your theory though.

I did an enduro race over almost 1000Km of tight knarly trails where I was a riding pretty much on the limit for two days straight. Rounding the last corner on the fire trail coming back to the finish I ran wide doing about 70Km/h hit a massive rock, cart wheeled and knocked myself out in addition to breaking my right hand thumb.

When I woke up I could see the finish! Never get complacent, it's the worst thing anyone can do.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Not looking where you're going is uber dangerous, too, lesson learned, eh ? :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
There's been a trend lately of people getting into some hairy situations but keeping the bike up... I'm liking it.

Glad you're ok. Could have been a shit ton worse.

·
Banned
365 Posts
lucky one, glad your ok, lucky it was not the cheese grater wire rope barriers
+1.
You ever see the intro to that movie Ghost Ship ;)
Glad you safe m8.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Lucky! Glad you and the bike are pretty good, given the circumstances

·
Registered
832 Posts
Nice save! I was hit by a moving car at around the same speed the other day and somehow stayed upright. Ended up with a couple bruises on my knee and leg, and my bike only suffered a busted frame slider and smashed bar end mirror glass. Lucky!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Damn, good to hear you kept it up!

I had a near call a few weeks ago, lane filtering, only going 5 - 10kph faster than traffic and this guy turned into me, hit the side fairing and I sort of bounced off. I checked the bike for damage, the only thing was the indicator needed to be removed and re-seated. I was breathing deeply after that one!

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
Very lucky. Typing well with broken fingers from the looks of it! :laugh:

·
Registered
596 Posts
No problem, 8 lives left. Now get well & that bike fixed!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts