Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says most of it. Went the last 8 hour track day with no issues, as well as riding in between then and the track day today.

The issue comes after the third 20 minute session of the day is completed, i pull into our spot at the pit and the radiator just completely breaks down and starts spewing out of the edges of the core on both sides. The hoses were also spewing even though the clamps were tight. This is obviously a pressure issue, but im very puzzled at how this happened, the radiator cap went on fine, the spring didnt seem stuck, and there was no oil in the coolant when we refilled it to check for where the leaks were coming from.

Also since the radiator has to be replaced now, are there any upgraded options? Im not even sure where to get an OEM one after some google searches were inconclusive. Should i look at doing the heat exchanger too while its off?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Talk to your dealer for OEM. If, on the other hand you want to go totally nuts you could always buy one of these

·
Registered
27 Posts
If your bike is 1st or 2nd gen then yes, replace the heat exchanger with a billet oil cooler. Triumph Daytona 675/R & Street Triple/R 2006-12 UKRS Billet Oil Cooler
Some feedback on the UKRS oil cooler -

I installed one on a second-gen and had two problems:

• tolerances were not great, and it leaked despite two changes of the o-ring
  • it's only appropriate for the track, where there's constant airflow - on the road, and in 20c weather, the bike overheated

I've switched back to the OEM one.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Some feedback on the UKRS oil cooler -

I installed one on a second-gen and had two problems:

• tolerances were not great, and it leaked despite two changes of the o-ring
  • it's only appropriate for the track, where there's constant airflow - on the road, and in 20c weather, the bike overheated

I've switched back to the OEM one.
Really? I have one on both my street and track bikes and never had an issue. Both have seen 30*C and up days. I'm curious to know how you knew you overheated as a result of the billet oil cooler? There's no oil temp gauge on the bike, and the bullet oil cooler should have little effect on coolant temperature.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I've also had them on both my road and track bikes for 5+ years without any issues. Even in 40*c. If you don't bleed the cooling system properly you can end up with air pockets which will lead to overheating issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys i appreciate the suggestions, i actually ended up getting an ebay one that looks very similar to the german made one that was linked before that was posted in the thread, seems okay. Once i get the bike apart this weekend ill check out the oil cooler and see if its still stock

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those ebay radiators are rubbish. Plenty of people have tried them. They don't have enough cores and the bike will overheat.
im just trying to get the bike back on the track next week, and its the only one i found that matched the triumph part number. the dealer had them backordered for $750 a piece and the H2O ones were out of stock everywhere i looked that looked legit, so my only option was the amazon/ebay special that looks exactly like the $350 one posted earlier, unfortunately

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've also had them on both my road and track bikes for 5+ years without any issues. Even in 40*c. If you don't bleed the cooling system properly you can end up with air pockets which will lead to overheating issues.
That's interesting. It might be my fault then - I had a leaking coolant hose, so I might have had some air pockets. I'll keep it and reinstall it at some point - if I can figure out some way to fix the leaking o-ring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts