Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quick review: de-cat headers by TRMN8TR (updated w/ dyno charts)

Hey guys,

I recently arranged for a set of de-cat headers from TRMN8TR here on the board and wanted to post a quick review. Overall this project went really smoothly and the result is awesome.

Process:
Bought a stock set of headers from another forum member. Had them shipped straight to TRMN8TR. He sourced the parts for the job from Cone. He did the cuts and welds. Received the finished product within a week or two.

Quality:
He TIG welded the vane, merge and straight pipe. The welds look nice and clean.

Install:
During the welding process, he test fit the new setup on a street triple to verify fit. This must have been a massive pain in the ass for him, because his is an 09, so he had to swap on an old daytona subframe to test my 06 headers. I'm really grateful he did though - I pulled off my old headers, and the new one lines up perfectly. What more can you ask for? Install was very straightforward if you're used to wrenching on the bike.

End result:
Bike sounds mean. I have an arrow slip on, and even with the baffle in there is a significant change. Loaded up the full arrow map for now, and can't wait to get a proper tune.

** UPDATE 1/15 **
Dyno results.
Finally arranged for some dyno time. Before this I was running one of the full aftermarket exhaust tunes available on the forum here (can't remember which). Looking at the "before" chart, this off-the-shelf tune wasn't bad.

But looking at the "after" chart, the custom tune gives a really smooth output all the way through the rev range, and fattened the top end of the curve considerably (+4bhp between 11k and 12.5k). Not a big difference in peak power (+1bhp), but this broader spread up top should be useful on the track. Can't wait to try it out in the spring. Very happy with the results of this project (pipe and tune). Cheers.

Now for the pics:

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Thanks for the review Dan! You're heping fund my race season for next year. I've already got a couple PM's from other members wanting one.

Are you planning to get a custom dyno tume? I'd love to see the before/after.

I know my welds aren't the "Wow, those welds are awesome, they look like art!" kind of welds, but they're solid. It's also really difficult to get into some of the small corners of the merge and around the exhaust hanger by they bend. Hard to make it look pretty.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome - Glad to hear it. All you need now is a jig so you don't have to mock them up on your own bike (or switch tails!).

I also think you're being too harsh about the welds. They look nice and solid to me. It's true - I have seen some truly artistic welds in photos of the Arrow/Akra full systems, but those are completely different products at something like 10x the cost. For the price, this job is more than pretty enough.

Yes, think I'll be getting a custom tune in the spring. Going rate for custom tunes near me is ~$250, so that seems like money well spent. I'll post up the charts when I do.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Looks good - I'd like to hear a sound clip w/wo the baffles, and see a dyno chart before and after the tuning. :cool2:

TRMN8TR - are you planning on making these up for sale (just the merge collector part)?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Looks good - I'd like to hear a sound clip w/wo the baffles, and see a dyno chart before and after the tuning. :cool2:

TRMN8TR - are you planning on making these up for sale (just the merge collector part)?
I don't make the merge collectors, I buy them from a company called Cone Engineering. I just modify the headers by cutting out the stock merge/exup valve/cat and weld the bullet, merge collector and 2" pipe in place.

And as far as a before/after dyno chart, here is what you can expect...without a tune you'll only see about a 1-2 hp gain and minimal torque. With a tune you can expect about 7-10 hp and 3-4 ft/lbs. The important thing would be a slip-on muffler to go with it. The stock one is too restrictive.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Awesome - Glad to hear it. All you need now is a jig so you don't have to mock them up on your own bike (or switch tails!).
I'm looking into making a jig. It would make the job much easier and faster for me. I'm trying to make these now because I have a '11 Daytona and '12 Street Triple apart in my garage that I'm repairing over the winter. I can use them for mock-up now but in the spring they'll be up for sale.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the site for the components. http://www.coneeng.com/ The owner is a really nice guy - I recommend just giving him a call. TRMN8TR might be able to give you part numbers, but my understanding is you're in for (1) the 3-1 collector, (2) the merge bullet (either the 3 component parts and a tool to hold them in place while you tack weld or a pre-made bullet), and (3) the piece of straight pipe. Not sure about weight savings, although ditching the cat and the exup motor+cables+valve has to be worth something.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Super Moderator
2,122 Posts
I bought the MJS performance header (they use oem header, and weld on straight pipe), they "say" you will lose 4 lbs, and gain 4-6 hp. They also ceramic coat it.

Personally I can't tell you yet, I can't install it until spring.

Sorry Termie, if I knew you did this, I woulda let you work on mine. :(

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Not a problem, I've done a few for myself and friends but just recently decided to try and make some more. I don't doubt the weight loss or hp claims they are quoting, but the only way you'll see that much is with a slip on and a proper tune to go with it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Interesting and neat to see. I would consider your services. I currently have an arrow slip on. Like how it sounds but to much back fire/popping. So I'm looking into a high flow cat or something....

1 - 20 of 138 Posts