Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my seat cowl... But every once in a while, my gf wants to go for a ride on the bike too. The hex bolts aren't the most convenient thing to remove (and apparently not the most secure things).

I was reading a different thread about someone with a Daytona who lost their seat cowl (Lost my seat cowl! - Triumph675.Net Forums). One of the members mentioned that they fitted a quick release (via dzus clip) for their Daytona seat cowl.

Has any attempted something like this on an ST? Or any other variations?

I wouldn't mind being a guinea pig, but really I'm not entirely sure where to start looking.

Would I have to remove the "nuts" which are going into the seat to be able to do something like this? Or are there other options?

Scott

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I saw that... Doesn't really solve the problem, just makes the screw into a thumb screw which may be less annoying (or may not). But thanks for the suggestion

Scott

·
Registered
631 Posts
I drilled out the rivet nut and had to drill out the bolt hole on the cowl/pillion seat mounting bracket.
Picked up a Dzus ¼ turn clip and plate from my local bike shop.
Get the one with the fold down "handle" on it, like on the Ducati faring ones. (What I got)
I'm happy with it, and I don't have any problems carrying pillions with the seat being held on with it, it's a very positive lock.
Can be a little fiddly with gloves on.
Cheap mod, do get a spare clip though, and cable tie it out of the way under the seat/cowling wherever…
If you want photos I'll bitch and whinge but can do…

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I drilled out the rivet nut and had to drill out the bolt hole on the cowl/pillion seat mounting bracket.
Picked up a Dzus ¼ turn clip and plate from my local bike shop.
Get the one with the fold down "handle" on it, like on the Ducati faring ones. (What I got)
I'm happy with it, and I don't have any problems carrying pillions with the seat being held on with it, it's a very positive lock.
Can be a little fiddly with gloves on.
Cheap mod, do get a spare clip though, and cable tie it out of the way under the seat/cowling wherever…
If you want photos I'll bitch and whinge but can do…
post them pics

·
Registered
631 Posts
Bugger…
I'll try and take some tomorrow and post them, not allowed to plug cameras, phones etc into the work computers so I'll have to go home first… Working nights, 11 hours to go!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Right my first “how to”

The photos have been taken with my phone so sorry about the quality, and I'm not a great photographer ether!

Step 1) Trot down to your local bike shop and buy a Dzus fastener and panel clip.
Ducati use them for holding their farings on, as do Aprilla and a few others.
I brought my one from a Ducati shop.

Spep 2) Remove the pillion seat/cowl and drill the rivet nut off, you will have to drill a 10mm (3/8th) hole where it is so don't get too concerned about removing just the rivet nut and not any of the cross brace.

Step 3) Take off the bracket on the bottom of the seat/cowl or both if you have both and drill out the hole that the bolt goes through to 7.5 - 8mm or 5/16th. You want the fastener to fit through with a little clearance.

Step 4) Take the panel clip and with much bad language slip it on to the cross brace with the plate that the fastener twists into facing the back of the bike. Its a snug fit and shouldn't move once it is on and in place.
NOTE: The panel clip has a raised lip that locates into the 10mm hole you have drilled to help lock it in place and stop it turning.

Step 5) Grab your seat/cowl bracket and try it out, it should be ¼ turn to lock or unlock and its quite a positive “click” that you feel rather than hear.

Right, bolt the bracket back on to your seat/cowl with a little lock-tight and your set to go, I have never had it even look like it was coming lose.
They can be a little fiddly to get at, and I'll often flick the “handle” of the fastener up with my key to be able to grab it.
And putting it on can be a pain some times too, but as the rivet nuts tend to cross thread and fail or allow the bolt to back out I'll put up with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
very nice mod bro :thumbup::thumbup: Thx for the Pics

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah unfortunately it is a different setup.

there are 2 bolts going through the cowl into nuts which are right in the seat. So I really don't think it will be that easy to put the quick release on.

Scott

·
Registered
631 Posts
I see…:thinking:
Get some little PK self tapping screws, some trace wire from a fishing shop, and some R clips.
Get the trace wire and put a little loop ether end and crimp it with the supplied crimp sleaves.
The trace wire gets looped around the screws that screw into the plastic bottom of the seat, the other end goes to the R clip.
Drill a hole for the R clip into the Allen head bolt and you're done.
Screw it in, clip it in and it can't turn back out.
Or you could use the thumb screws and this for an easer removal.

Best I can do without sitting down and playing with one.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting idea... same idea as hood pins for a racing car (or at least that's how I took your description)

Might be worth a shot.

A couple minor problems with it though...
- R clip may scratch the paint (maybe a washer can help with this)
- When cowl not on, pins may bug passenger (have to look at the seat to see)
- could use standard bolts as the pins, but ones without the threads at the top may be nice (could then grind into rounded shape)... would just have to look and see if I could find them.

These problems are pretty minor though.

Also the safety wires for the clips are a nice touch... but not required (at least right away)

I will look into this and see what I can come up with.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah that's very true... I guess it would still be nice to have at least 1/2 of the problem as a quick release.
Or perhaps someone needs to figure out a quick release for the passenger pegs!

Scott

1 - 15 of 15 Posts