Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well Im going to be upgrading my bike to a daytona 675. I have a 06 ninja 650r right now. Now to the questions..

Whats a good year 675 also what changes have they made each year that make them better?

What are some things to look for on these bikes when I go to purchase it? Im most likely going to buy it used but If I can get a good deal at a dealer ill buy from them.

Im going to daytona bike week down here in florida and I was told that triumph lets you test ride their bikes so im looking forward to that. Anyone else here going?

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
If you're gonna demo, get there EARLY!!! You need to put yourself in a time slot to try a bike out...and they fill up FAST!!!

2009+ was a good year because they did some "minor" updates. Unless you're a trackrider then you can see its benefits (lighter wheels and exhaust, 3 way adjustment for suspension, taller 1st gear). If not, you can get the previous version. I have a 2006 and Im still very happy with it.

Look for common stuff like you would any bike. Ask if all service was done properly and up to date with any factory recalls. Common problems with these bikes have been the rectifier going out and cam chain rattle. You can ask if buying private party what cam chain tensioner is on there (OEM or APE manual cam chain tensioner) and what rectifier is on there. The good news is the replacement upgrade is relatively cheap. (Knock on wood...Ive never had to replace mine yet)

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Alright well Im going to be upgrading my bike to a daytona 675. I have a 06 ninja 650r right now. Now to the questions..

Whats a good year 675 also what changes have they made each year that make them better?

What are some things to look for on these bikes when I go to purchase it? Im most likely going to buy it used but If I can get a good deal at a dealer ill buy from them.

Im going to daytona bike week down here in florida and I was told that triumph lets you test ride their bikes so im looking forward to that. Anyone else here going?
If you're going to demo, you need to be 25 or older. Not sure if you were or not, but I got shafted by their demo truck because of that. Also, only updates they did were 2009+.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
If you're going to demo, you need to be 25 or older. Not sure if you were or not, but I got shafted by their demo truck because of that. Also, only updates they did were 2009+.
+1!!! MGFChapin, SoCalDaytona, and I were all gonna demo and both those guys got turned down because of being under 25

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Test riding one will make you throw your questions away, that's what happened to me :thumbup:

·
Registered
154 Posts
if you're not financing i would go private, there are some really good deals out there at the moment with people wanting the pay off or just to get rid of it due to lack of funds.
i got a graphite 06 last June for $4100 & in August i swapped it for an 08 with 2000 miles for $5700.
dealers will always be around KBB price.

as stated above, unless you're a seasoned track junky you won't really notice the mods from 60-08 to 09 + unless you're going for the new 675R with ohlins & brembo's.
as far as i'm concerned i think that any year 657 is one of the better bikes to buy, lack of mods through the years speaks for itself.

my only advice is to take your time. don't rush into buying one just because it's in your head & the money is burning a hole in your pocket.

the price i paid for my 675's is a lot compaired to some on here
(look at thread "how much did you pay" & you'll be shocked... i was.)

i've had the rectifier go on mine but that was no drama as i got a new oem upgrade from augusta triumph. if i didn't need it "now" it could have gone through warranty.

good luck dude .... & take your time to find yourself a sweet deal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you're not financing i would go private, there are some really good deals out there at the moment with people wanting the pay off or just to get rid of it due to lack of funds.
i got a graphite 06 last June for $4100 & in August i swapped it for an 08 with 2000 miles for $5700.
dealers will always be around KBB price.

as stated above, unless you're a seasoned track junky you won't really notice the mods from 60-08 to 09 + unless you're going for the new 675R with ohlins & brembo's.
as far as i'm concerned i think that any year 657 is one of the better bikes to buy, lack of mods through the years speaks for itself.

my only advice is to take your time. don't rush into buying one just because it's in your head & the money is burning a hole in your pocket.

the price i paid for my 675's is a lot compaired to some on here
(look at thread "how much did you pay" & you'll be shocked... i was.)

i've had the rectifier go on mine but that was no drama as i got a new oem upgrade from augusta triumph. if i didn't need it "now" it could have gone through warranty.

good luck dude .... & take your time to find yourself a sweet deal
thanks man, Thats the plan. Im just going to skim the web untill I find a good deal

·
Junior Race Sponsor & mid sized cone head
4,226 Posts
are you serious?! Noooo Im 18.
I'll ride for you and tell you how it is :) Last time I went to Daytona for bike week, I popped a wheelie on a 675 and that ended my demo rides for the day. It wasn't something I was trying to do, it just happened, I already had my 675 and I was having a power issue and wanted to compare. Their demo had allot more power or had different sprockets. But it sure stood up easy :whistle:

Btw, I am 55, hope they don't have an "your too old to ride" age too:itsok:

·
Registered
311 Posts
2006-2008 they the only difference was the color available.
2009-2011 they made some minor performance and aesthetic changes.

for me, it didn't really matter for the upgrades. I'm sure i wouldn't be able to tell anyway. I also got a great deal on a 2008 in 2009 so that saved me some coin.

I always look for rash on bar ends, foot peg ends. seems like that's the easiest place to tell if it's been over or not. as far as mechanical things to look at, hopefully one of the more experienced members can chime in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts