Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I had posted about this issue beleiving it was the clutch. Several members told me it was most likely fueling... i didnt listen >:)
I thought it was clutch slipping, while at the track, @Pergrem and I played with the cable and got it to a perfect ride the rest of the weekend. had no trouble for 2 weeks.

CURRENT PROBLEM
surging/ sputtering in any gear.
Continuous throttle input, 6k or 8k it feels like it is starving for fuel or running rich? I smell the fuel smell only sometimes at startup. @harcourt has told me it smells rich on some rides when he is behind me.... which is often :x

the bike has outright died a few times, either at idle AFTER running for 20+ minutes (stop light) or I have no been able to switch to a higher or lower gear

I am thinking it would be...
1. Fuel Pump
2. Spark Plugs (18k on the bike, had the 12k service performed by the dealer)
3. Fuel Injectors
4. Power Commander V fueling ratio is off? (had the bike Dyno'd and have never had a fueling issue before)

What would you suggest?
Dealer has told me they would have to keep the bike until they could replicate the problem and they estimated they would have to keep the bike for 6-8 weeks... I'd think this service could be done in a day. If i know which part needs to be changed, I could do it!

Thanks in Advance!!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ arrow slip on with a welded mid pip and cat delete. Stock headers. Had them done by termin8tr here. He does quality work and never had a problem

I will check plugs first
Then find an ecu hook up or just have the dealer run diagnostic on ecu.
Is there a way to clean or purge the fuel pump or line? Two months ago I thought it might has been bad fuel so emptied the tank and new fuel
Same issues..

·
Registered
652 Posts
Logically you can omit the fuel pump. If it's starving for fuel because of the pump at 6-8k rpms, then it would be flat out dead at 12-14k rpm.

What year is the bike, will TuneECU work on it?

·
Registered
148 Posts
When my stator died and I was just running on battery, when it got low I had similar symptoms (surge / sputter) etc.

Electrical all good?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@MGFChapin @OzMoto @Renboy
what are the chances it is a fuel injector? Either an O-ring or the fuel coming through the injector.

When I turn the key I hear the fuel run through the pump without a problem.
I will be getting time to change the spark plugs tonight or thursday of this week... maybe. and that will reveal a lot.
If it is fuel injectors... where would you advise I purchase those? OEM dealer, or Bikebandit. etc

TYIA

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
Fuel injector shops are really common, you should have at least one in your area. Google it and they can test yours and if they work, clean them too.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You have a dyno sheet with the torque curve? If you also have the pull with AFRs that would also be helpful. Also take a picture of your exhaust tip, make sure its in sunlight.

Once you also pull your plugs they will pretty much answer your question on fuel, but if you have the above I might be able to tell you your tune is a bit shit or not.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Photos added.
Bike has 18k miles
Combustion chamber looks pretty cruddy from left to right
SAI block off plate looks super shitty but cleaned up with ease.
The plugs are left to right (Sitting on the bike)
Any ideas on the brown build up inside the spark plug holder tube?

Fuel line looks junked up...

Any ideas from these photos?
Could it be the throttle keeping open slightly and not closing when the throttle at the grip is closed?
It seems to snap back well... but extra air makes sense to have extra fuel going in...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ much appreciated! will post up when i get all the new parts installed and things together

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you had any diagnosis success?! I’m having the same issue, more noticeable in first and second gear. Not trying to thread jack, but I’m also not trying to spend unnecessarily lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did anyone ever figure this out? Very similar issue. Have tried multiple maps and it sounds/acts like it is just pig rich, especially around the 6-8k mark with terrible throttle response there and lots of backfire under decel or off throttle. I'm assuming I'm having something electrical going out at this point, and the plugs aren't getting enough voltage to properly combust all the fuel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts