Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i appologise if there has been a thread on this before but im a bit shit at searching forums. anyway im very new to my daytona and it has the factory powershifter fitted from new (previous owner) and i was wondering if constant use is harder wearing on the gearbox or any mechanical components? i dont know too much about how it works, just that it makes my pants happy every time i ride. ive started trying to control myself and not use it for every upshift. wondering if anyone has knowledge in this area? am i just being over cautious?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Not that I have any mechanical know how on the inner workings of a transmission, but I don't see why triumph would design a factory quick shifter that would cause any damage to any components, seeeing how its a factory part and I no way affects your warranty. Also, it retards ignition enough that it takes tension off the transmission for a precisely smooth upshift. I would dare say the engagement is smoother than the clutch in and out. Do not clutchless downshift though, that's a big nono.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Ive got one on my 09, I just find it's a bit rough if you try to use it at low rpm's and/or small throttle openings, this is the only time i think it could maybe cause more wear and tear than otherwise. I'll shift with a combination of clutch, clutch-less and Quickshift(just for fun) depending on the situation. It's just a matter of particular situation which method is smoothest.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies guys, i sometimes clutch upshift sometimes dont, i have noticed that it is smother at some rpm than others, it is a little clunky lower in the rev range, but i dont wanna rev its nuts off everywhere, mostly cos i dont want the fuzz on my ass or to end up in the side of a hyundai. but i dont think ill worry about extra wear on the gearbox. cheers again

·
Banned
365 Posts
thanks for the replies guys, i sometimes clutch upshift sometimes dont, i have noticed that it is smother at some rpm than others, it is a little clunky lower in the rev range, but i dont wanna rev its nuts off everywhere, mostly cos i dont want the fuzz on my ass or to end up in the side of a hyundai. but i dont think ill worry about extra wear on the gearbox. cheers again
This is just me, and most will disagree but I like the challenge of using the clutch quickly for upshifting, at least 1st to 4th gear

·
Banned
365 Posts
This is just me, and most will disagree but I like the challenge of using the clutch quickly for upshifting, at least 1st to 4th gear :p

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is just me, and most will disagree but I like the challenge of using the clutch quickly for upshifting, at least 1st to 4th gear :p
i must admit you have a point. i did like the feeling of a nice clean fast change on my old sv650s. but the way the power shifter feels is another level of awesome not in me but just in the bike being so awesome, and i can always do normal shifts if i want to play with the clutch

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.