Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read several posts and topics relating to the R/R issues of the 2008 model. I thought I might be exempt from the general 675 population until last summer.

I purchased my first 675 in the summer of '12 in New York. Residing in Canada myself, I had to ensure the bike could pass safety before licencing it. The only modifications required were a swap from the aftermarket xenon headlights and high-beam to the original OEM parts (the original owner decided to do a chop job on the wires and part while installing. The high beam was not working, hence the change-out). My local shop changed the parts, and within about 2000km of riding the bike it completely shut off.

Stranded, I towed the bike home and did my research. I ordered a new, higher quality R/R from ebay and had it professionally installed. They tested the battery and I replaced that as well. All was kosher from their end.

I continued to ride for roughly another 1000km through the season of '13 and ran into the same situation on the new R/R. Lights flickered, gauges jumped and bike turned off. Now I'm at my wits end.

Replacing the part again will surely equate to a similar outcome. I don't consider myself a technical person or sorts, and the bike's dynamics are very foreign to me. Could this be a result of the replacement lights done at the mechanics? Is it as simple as relocating the RR to a different location on the bike?
Hope that I can get some solid feedback, suggestions, and responses in order to avoid selling the bike.

Thanks all,
Ryan

·
Registered
247 Posts
The R/R issues did not apply only to the 2008 models, but all the way up to about 2012 as well. During 2012 Triumph issued a recall for the R/R on bikes in a certain VIN range. The old type R/R was replaced free of charge by the dealer with a new MOSFET type of R/R.

Failure of the R/R often took out the stator as well. Depending on your ability/tools to work on your own bike, you should check the charging output of the stator, or have someone do it for you. All the information is available here: http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35227

Although you have already changed the R/R, there are good photos by member Ruby Racing showing the difference between the two types of R/R here:
http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66849&highlight=ruby+racing
Good, clean wiring connections between the stator and the R/R, and at the battery and earth points, will allow the battery to charge properly, provided all components are in proper working order.
Hopefully you can sort out this relatively minor problem and enjoy your bike, without taking the drastic measure of selling it! Reading up and learning how to work on your own bike will also give great satisfaction!

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
As mentioned above your stator is out also. If you went that long on a going bad R/R then you weren't doing anything good to the stator either. Check your connectors from your stator to the R/R and I bet you have a fried connector. Reference the first link that 2bracing posted and run all the checks there. When I did this mod I was fairly new to tinkering on my bike. It's super easy and there are tons of members here, myself included that have one this mod. Also follow the links to the connectors that are recommended. I will say that if you don't know how to solder then start practicing or have a friend that knows how to do it. A good solid solder is key. I fried my first connectors because I didn't have a good solder and was back to square one again. Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.