Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[Updated] Poor man's GP shift

Update: This mod seemed like a good idea & worked great... for a while. After two track days and three days of racing, the shift rod snapped on the foot-lever side. Apparently, the torsion created by the bend is too much stress for the diameter of the rod (the threaded part) - or I overheated it when bending, Anyway - I don't recommend this approach & I'm going to look into modifying the shift arm so I can run a straight shift rod...

Original post:

I know there have been a lot of threads about how to rig GP shift, but I thought I would share this setup since I haven't seen anyone else do it exactly this way. This is a modified version of the simple method of reversing the shift arm and running the shift rod outside the frame. I couldn't tolerate the shift rod connected to the outside of the foot peg, so I bent the shift rod so that it would run behind the heel guard. (see pics.) I used a propane torch, a bench vise, and an oven mitt (!), and it took about a half hour to 45 minutes total. I was afraid the rod would be too short, but it still has enough adjustment range to put the lever where I want it. One down side to this setup is that you have to remove the shift rod to adjust the length, but it's not that big of a deal, imho. (Shifts perfectly, btw)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Wow that's awesome! I've been running GP shift like that for 3 years now, but I didn't do any fancy bending. It's definitely nice to be able to keep the heel guard though. Great work :cool2:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx guys - not the prettiest mod, but it works. The rod does come very close to the frame at one point and might rub very slightly on down shifts. I'll probably glue a piece of plastic to the frame to keep it from causing problems. If I had bent the rod a bit more, it would not rub at all - so maybe next time I'll get it right.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool mod, I like GP shift I have it on my other bike. Do you get any rubbing on the frame?
Do you have trouble adjusting between GP and standard? A few years ago, I had both GP and standard shift bikes & it caused problems for me when switching between them. (lots of miss-shifts due to user error...)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very creative!! I'm interested to know how you threaded that on without hitting the frame.
Can't thread it on. You have to remove the shift rod by separating the ball/socket joints, then adjust the length of the rod off the bike. It's quite easy to do as you only need to remove the wire clips that holds the joints together.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well I do get a lot of false neutrals on my D675. Not getting all the way into 2nd gear. I prefer the GP style personally. I might need to get an extra shift rod and give this a shot. Hows everything been holding up for ya?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I love the GP shift on my 675. I hate that i cant do it to my Sumo or 4 wheeler. it takes me a few mins on each before I settle in to shifting right haha.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Damn dude... sand that thing down a little and give it some paint and it might just look stock :cool2:

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
That looks like straight trailer trash. However... Kudos to you for doing this. Where were you 6 months ago you could have saved me 400$. Haha :thumbup:

Lawlz jk it doesnt look bad

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That looks like straight trailer trash. ...
Oh hayel yeah! Looks mighty purty sittin out there in my front yard on blocks! :) (Now that I know it works, I'm going to make a second one that will look better and use this one as a spare. But first I need to make a clamp and mandrel that won't mar the hot aluminum.)

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Oh hayel yeah! Looks mighty purty sittin out there in my front yard on blocks! :) (Now that I know it works, I'm going to make a second one that will look better and use this one as a spare. But first I need to make a clamp and mandrel that won't mar the hot aluminum.)
yeah def! I'm sure people on here would buy them! it surely would save peeps some $$$ :thumbup:

However, I will not buy one! :laugh:

·
Registered
959 Posts
Ingenius!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts