Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, took a part my 2011 675 and didnt take a picture of where the ballast sits on the right side fairing? Any pics or instruction?

·
Surfer of the lear
2,165 Posts
what does the RR do? And thank you for the info I see how it attaches now
Internet Def:

The regulator rectifier is a combined unit. It does the rectifying part as well the regulation part. It is part of a battery charging system. It gets a power feed, an AC power feed from the stator. Most of these regulator rectifiers and Stators are 3-Phase, for charging batteries, so there are three wires coming from the stator feeding into the regulator rectifier. Then the regulator rectifier rectifies� it, and regulates� the power to 14.5 volts and feeds a DC out to the battery. There are some single phase, regulator rectifiers as well that basically do the same thing. You have two wires coming from the stator, feeding into the regulator rectifier which is then connected up to the battery, so there is a DC output going to the battery.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
The new RRs are supposed to run a lot cooler and be of the mosfet type. There have been a few people here that have done the FH008/012 RR mod and placed them in the front of the bike. When the 09's first came out apparently they still had the shitty RRs but some have mentioned that you can get that changed out now. Not sure if there is a fee with that though.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
will the 09-10 RRs plug into an 06-08?

Because I know it's only a matter of time before mine dies.

·
Banned
365 Posts
The new RRs are supposed to run a lot cooler and be of the mosfet type. There have been a few people here that have done the FH008/012 RR mod and placed them in the front of the bike. When the 09's first came out apparently they still had the shitty RRs but some have mentioned that you can get that changed out now. Not sure if there is a fee with that though.
Im thinking ballast, wtf? But apart from knowing what that is I dont much more about R/R's except that they seem to be the weak link in the bikes electricals.
*I see tapcon has given a good explanation so...

What would you expect to happen when it fails? Does it happen all of a sudden or give you hints over time?
It Would be nice to have a failure for once and not think there is a hole in the piston head or something ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
If it fails your battery goes flat.

Use a multimeter to check that with the engine running at about 4K rpm there's about 13.8 - 14.8V across the battery terminals. Much more and you have a failed RR that will cook the battery. Much less and you either have a failed R/R or Stator.

In either case, if you don't understand electrics, take it to a shop.

Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts