Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, complete newbie here that wants to learn. bought a 2008 d675 a couple weeks ago. The guy I bought it from says that the previous owner had lowered the bike, but he didnt know any more details.

I am 6 feet so I would like to restore it to its original height. Being a beginner I have no idea what to do or look for.
I snapped a picture of the suspension adjustment? if its to any help.

thank you

·
Registered
100 Posts
The rear is lowered by changing out what's commonly called "the dogbone" (because it looks like a bone sort of).

It's at the bottom of the rear shock and looks like this:

By changing the length of the dogbone there will be more or less downward pull on the rear shock thereby lowering or raising the bike. It has nothing to do with the top of the shock. If yours has been lowered this piece will look different from stock.

The front is a bit trickier. To do it right you would need to change the springs in the shocks. Most people just push the shocks higher on the top triple (which does lower the bike but screws with the steering and suspension geometry).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The rear is lowered by changing out what's commonly called "the dogbone" (because it looks like a bone sort of).

It's at the bottom of the rear shock and looks like this:

By changing the length of the dogbone there will be more or less downward pull on the rear shock thereby lowering or raising the bike. It has nothing to do with the top of the shock. If yours has been lowered this piece will look different from stock.

The front is a bit trickier. To do it right you would need to change the springs in the shocks. Most people just push the shocks higher on the top triple (which does lower the bike but screws with the steering and suspension geometry).
Thank you for your reply, so to raise the rear I would have to install the original dogbone? I dont think he went that far and changed the springs in the shocks. I will take a picture of the dogbone tomorrow and maybe we can see if it is stock or not.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If he lowered it by putting in a longer dogbone you would have to swap it out with a stock one.

But often bikes are lowered with adjustable dogbones (they are like a big bolt). These can be adjusted to various heights by just turning them. Hopefully you have that, then it will be easy.

It's not difficult to change out the fixed ones but you need two people or a way to push down the rear of the bike while you install it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If he lowered it by putting in a shorter dogbone you would have to swap it out with a stock one.

But often bikes are lowered with adjustable dogbones (they are like a big bolt). These can be adjusted to various heights by just turning them. Hopefully you have that, then it will be easy.

It's not difficult to change out the fixed ones but you need two people or a way to push down the rear of the bike while you install it.
Guess I wasnt that lucky, it is not adjustable. Any idea what that connector in the bakground might be? Thank you for all your help

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looks like the PO bought this:

So bike is lowered 35mm.

Good news is that, like stock exhausts, there is high supply and low demand for the stock dog bones. U.S. eBay has plenty for around $30.

The plug looks to be for the exhaust valve servo (EVAP). Many people disable this. Look on the right side of the bike. You should see a control unit with two cables coming out of it that go to a butterfly in the exhaust. Most who disable this also remove the cables but it's not necessary. When the bike initially turns on these cables should cycle (i.e. move slightly).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just to clarify the above - the linkage plates have been replaced. That dogbone looks stock.

So to return to stock height you’d be looking for OEM linkage plates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to clarify the above - the linkage plates have been replaced. That dogbone looks stock.

So to return to stock height you’d be looking for OEM linkage plates.
Thank you! So will the current nuts and bolts fit the new plates as well?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts