Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone from California: what is there to do in southern California in June? We are staying near San Diego for our honeymoon :thumbup: I have never been so just looking for some ideas.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Not to preach or anything, but the San Diego Mormon Temple is one of their most beautiful designs. Check it out, it's worth seeing. Otherwise, San Diego is home to Seaworld and one of the best Zoo's in the world if you are into that. Never been myself, but I know it's on my list of places to see.

·
Mod & "Resident Baller"...
7,797 Posts
Catching a ball game at Petco Park is a lot of fun. The Gas Lamp quarter of San Diego is great for a drink and eating. Learn to surf! The beaches are great. You can jump on a 2 or 3 day quick cruise to Baja Mexico. You can drive about 45 minutes north of Downtown San Diego to the Temecula wine country, and while there you can have a wine and cheese picnic and take a hot air balloon ride.

Make sure to have brunch at the Hotel Del Coronado. It's a grand old dame of a hotel. If you can get away, come do a track day!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
congrats :thumbup:

SD zoo is amazing. There's also balboa park, which is basically a bunch of things to do in one area. Different kinds of museums, art/ photography galleries, gardens, sights to see, etc.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I lived in SD for 4 years and now live 40 mins north of SD. What kind of things are you looking to do? One of my favorite things when i was down there was going snorkeling or SCUBA diving at La Jolla Cove. I think its been on the best 10 snorkeling/SCUBA destinations a few times by a few magazines. also in La Jolla there is the childrens pool where you can see seals year round, and there are alot of shops/restaurants there.

People mentioned the Zoo (which is awesome) but also Balboa park. you can park the same place for both. there are alot of places to walk and hike + Natural history museum, and like literaly 30 other museums there.

Midway museum is pretty cool. its a decommissioned aircraft carrier in downtown.

the redbull air races may be going on around that time.

hotel del coronado on Coronado island.

gaslamp quarter, old town.

Scripps aquarium is really cool.

iron mountion is a awesome place to hike.

Palomar obsovertory is pretty cool too + you can see our stomping grounds out here.

Oceanside Pier.

damn, when you ask what is there to do in San diego you really open up a can of worms. there is alot. send me some PM's if you have specific questions about things to do.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The better question is "what can't I do in San Diego?". That my friend is a very short list. There is a reason that most people in San Diego moved here from somewhere else. Please do enjoy America's finest city.:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I lived in SD for 4 years and now live 40 mins north of SD. What kind of things are you looking to do? One of my favorite things when i was down there was going snorkeling or SCUBA diving at La Jolla Cove. I think its been on the best 10 snorkeling/SCUBA destinations a few times by a few magazines. also in La Jolla there is the childrens pool where you can see seals year round, and there are alot of shops/restaurants there.

People mentioned the Zoo (which is awesome) but also Balboa park. you can park the same place for both. there are alot of places to walk and hike + Natural history museum, and like literaly 30 other museums there.

Midway museum is pretty cool. its a decommissioned aircraft carrier in downtown.

the redbull air races may be going on around that time.

hotel del coronado on Coronado island.

gaslamp quarter, old town.

Scripps aquarium is really cool.

iron mountion is a awesome place to hike.

Palomar obsovertory is pretty cool too + you can see our stomping grounds out here.

Oceanside Pier.

damn, when you ask what is there to do in San diego you really open up a can of worms. there is alot. send me some PM's if you have specific questions about things to do.
I would disagree with the aquarium comment. I didn't think it was that good, honestly.

Don't just go to the Zoo. Go to the wild animal park as well. The animal park has several hundred acres where a lot of the animals are free to roam and live together (minus the ones that eat the other animals). Pretty cool.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
To anyone from California: what is there to do in southern California in June? We are staying near San Diego for our honeymoon :thumbup: I have never been so just looking for some ideas.
Born and raised San Diegan here. How long do you plan on being in San Diego for and what are interests?

As coreyvwc mentioned. What can't you do in San Diego.

The first thing that comes to mind...since this is a motorcycle forum...is rent bikes and hit some of the many backroads around here. Fill us in what you'd like to do or see and I can chime in.

Ofcounsel pretty much hit the nail on the head with good spots.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We will hopefully be there for about a week. :thumbup:

Thanks by the way for all the help! I wish so bad I could get my bike out there and test the great roads you guys get to ride but maybe I can plan a special trip specifically for that some time. My honeymoon may not be the best time :whistle:

Everyone seems to agree on the Zoo which is good cause I think we have tickets to go.

As far as interests go, we like nature a bit. Mountains, waterfalls, caves, forests, reefs, etc. Historical tidbits are fun as well. That aircraft carrier may be cool to see. Good restaurants and nice beaches also would be cool to find.

Here is another way of asking it: what areas or things SHOULDN'T be done in San Diego? What is best to stay away from?

·
Banned
941 Posts
Here is another way of asking it: what areas or things SHOULDN'T be done in San Diego? What is best to stay away from?
stay away from the border...heard there has been a lot of violence in tijuana as of late.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
We will hopefully be there for about a week. :thumbup:

Thanks by the way for all the help! I wish so bad I could get my bike out there and test the great roads you guys get to ride but maybe I can plan a special trip specifically for that some time. My honeymoon may not be the best time :whistle:

Everyone seems to agree on the Zoo which is good cause I think we have tickets to go.

As far as interests go, we like nature a bit. Mountains, waterfalls, caves, forests, reefs, etc. Historical tidbits are fun as well. That aircraft carrier may be cool to see. Good restaurants and nice beaches also would be cool to find.

You'll love hiking Stonewall Peak. The drive up there is beautiful. The hike is pretty easy going and once you get to the Stonewall its breathtaking. Ive never hiked Iron Mountain but I heard that's pretty cool (I think its off the 67).

Oceanside Pier is nice but usually full of gangbangers. Its like San Diego's version of Venice Beach...ghetto by the sea. Oceanside isn't called Oceancrime without reason. I would recommend La Jolla, Del Mar, Encinitas, Cardiff...basically the stretch of beaches from La Jolla all the way up to Carlsbad.

You can even drive Highway 101--that way you can see all of the beach towns.

You might like Pacific Beach...its usually a younger crowd out there. But a nice beach. You can check out Ocean Beach...its where the TV show Terriers is based.

Then again Im not sure why you'd want to be at a beach during winter time. The only people you'll see there are surfers.
The San Diego Zoo is cool, but I actually like Wild Animal Park better. Maybe check out both and see what you like. Check out Sea World too...but that place is expensive.

There are of course dangerous places in San Diego but nothing like Los Angeles. Areas like Home Ave, Euclid, and maybe around the Mexican Border.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts