Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering getting this done. Not 100% sure on the color though. But I would love to see some of what's out there. I know the Red subframe is super popular. Not exactly the best option for my set up. But either way....

If you have painted, powdercoated, decorated, bedazzled, whatever, your rear subframe - Post it on here!! I'd love to see it and appreciate the help! :thumbup:

·
MacGyver / BOTM / BOTY Winner
1,253 Posts
Umicheng, you may have seen these before, but if not.........

I think I may have been the first to shoot mine red. If not, certainly one of the first. Anyway, I painted mine using primer, white base coat, red color coat and finally clear. The actual paint match is spot on and I've had no issues with durability, chips, etc.

If you choose powdercoating, most shops have an extensive selection of non-special order colors available to them - expecially red. You may get lucky and find a nearly perfect match with powder. I've had NO luck having a powder custom blended to match an existing color. I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
superlight! Thanks, I have seen your bike here and there. gorgeous :thumbup:

I was thinking of painting it myself as well opposed to powdercoating. Really not all that much of it is exposed, and the parts that are, aren't really in high-wear, or wear-at-all areas. Glad to see you havent had any issues with chipping.

Question - did you remove the black stock powdercoat before you sprayed? and what paint did you use?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Umicheng, you may have seen these before, but if not.........

I think I may have been the first to shoot mine red. If not, certainly one of the first. Anyway, I painted mine using primer, white base coat, red color coat and finally clear. The actual paint match is spot on and I've had no issues with durability, chips, etc.

If you choose powdercoating, most shops have an extensive selection of non-special order colors available to them - expecially red. You may get lucky and find a nearly perfect match with powder. I've had NO luck having a powder custom blended to match an existing color. I wouldn't recommend it.
I have not particularly enjoyed the red subframe, but really into the metal screen on the fairing right

·
MacGyver / BOTM / BOTY Winner
1,253 Posts
Thanks guys.

Umi... I thought about blasting the black off the subframe but tried something else first. I sanded it to a relatively flat level, then shot white primer. I experimented a little on this one.

As a test, I painted a piece of tubing (test tube? :whistle: ) using gray, white and no primer over black. No primer produced a red that was too dark. Gray primer yielded a better match to the original red but a white primer produced a perfect match.

The white primered frame could now be sanded to accept color. A few coats of red to ensure complete coverage - and then clear. Once fully cured, the frame could be rubbed out to remove the slight orange peel in the clear. The final product looks pretty darn good.

The primer and clear are standard Dupont automotive enamel. The red was produced by taking the rear seat cowl to my local Dupont distributor and electronically scanning it. This scan determines all the component colors, and to what percentage, that are blended to produce the red. The shop can duplicate the mix and produce a perfect red match to the original. I've used this process on other colors, including metallics, with great success. Seem like a lot of work just for a subframe? I suppose. But I tried a few cans of "red" from various spray can manufacturers but they were not even close to a match. Besides, if you're going to do something, do it right. Hope this helps.

rtsantanna: Welcome to the forum. Are there many 675's in your area of Brasil? Do you have a Triumph dealership nearby?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I got one of the lightweight subframes from RidersDiscount and had it powder coated black. I havent seen it yet, the bike is still at my engine builder. But when i get it back, i will post some pics.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sweet thanks everyone for posting!

We got a strike of warm weather luck and warm enough for me to paint today!

I am going to sand down the black and spray it with Primer gray. Just going to use the one I have. Rustoleum Engine Primer

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have been thinking about doing this but with the black and gold not sure of what color I would paint the rear subframe
Yeah I was toying with the idea of painting it gold to match the calipers, rotors, etc. I chickened out - and painted it dark blue. Need to add two more coats tonight and will post some pics. Bike will still be naked though.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts