Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
941 Posts
See if there are any cosmetic parts that show showroom wear/tear that can be replaced with fresher looking parts from another bike on the floor. When I bought my bike new from the dealership, it had a bunch of shoe scuff marks on the seat. I tried to wipe it off with my sweater, but some of it looked very permanent. I asked them if they could switch the seat out with another ST3R in the showroom and they gladly obliged.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
+1 to Daken, just give it a look over for any possible showroom scuffs. And take it easy, its not all that hard to spin the rear tire.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Don't rely on the dealer prep - check tire pressures (mine were ridiculously high), chain slack, throttle free play not excessive, fluid levels, check for/tighten loose fasteners, tighten hose clamps if any drips. How long has the bike been sitting in the showroom...is the battery relatively fresh?

·
Banned
941 Posts
You should look for the huge grin on your face when you ride it home :thumbup:
Personally I was scared as hell riding mine home. I was bikeless for about 1.5 years so I was a little rusty. The dealership was a far ways from home and in a city that I've only been to twice, so the ride home wasn't familiar. I left during Los Angeles rush hour traffic and had to lane split the entire way. And last, but not least, the torque and ergos. I had a sportbike only background and was not expecting the down low torque of the striple. I also wasn't used to sitting upright or not having a windshield to tuck behind, so I felt really awkward on it for the first couple of days like i was going to fall over backwards.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Don't rely on the dealer prep - check tire pressures (mine were ridiculously high), chain slack, throttle free play not excessive, fluid levels, check for/tighten loose fasteners, tighten hose clamps if any drips. How long has the bike been sitting in the showroom...is the battery relatively fresh?
+1

The dealer had over inflated my tires. In addition, they also over filled the coolant! My bike was spitting coolant after a ride a few days later. I did an intensive inspection of all hoses and clamps... no leaks. So it must have come from the expansion tank overflow. Indeed it did... the expansion tank was about 1.5-2 inches above the "max level" mark.

·
Banned
941 Posts
my chain slack was pretty loose from the dealership, but another dealership fixed that for me during my 500 mile service.

also, not sure who to blame for this, but I went to remove my front sprocket cover one day. i was getting ready to remove all the screws when I noticed that it was only hanging on by a single screw and all the others were missing. Could have been from the factory, from the dealership i bought it from or the dealership that did my 500 mile service. either way, its a good idea to check that everything is screwed in nice and tight.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OH MY GOOD JESUS!!!

This bike is amazing. There was no worrying about any cosmetic problems because the bike was literally uncrated last night. Checked it all out then rode it back to town making sure to change the revs as I streaked down the highway. Went to a large stadium parking lot in town and did some donuts and figure 8s. Holy crap does that bike love to fall into the turns.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
OH MY GOOD JESUS!!!

This bike is amazing. There was no worrying about any cosmetic problems because the bike was literally uncrated last night. Checked it all out then rode it back to town making sure to change the revs as I streaked down the highway. Went to a large stadium parking lot in town and did some donuts and figure 8s. Holy crap does that bike love to fall into the turns.
Mikey likes it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Go over the bike and look for loose hardware - like cables and adjusters. My bike had the clutch cable adjusters loose down at the transmission. I also lost one of the radiator shroud screws.

Yes, make sure you get the new RR. The new version is mounted facing the rear wheel :thumbup:

Check your tires for 34 - 36 front and 41 to 42 psi rear.

Make sure you get the "toolkit" which is an allen wrench and tank pop rod which should be attached under the seat.

Check all the lights and fluids.

Take is easy on the tires untl they warm up and scrub-in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

VT class of '10 (5th year victory lap to finish up)

The R/R was the first thing I checked and yes, it is mounted right next to the rear shock facing the tire. Scrubbed the tires in at the parking lot and got 60mi on the bike thus far. I'll be sure to go over everything tomorrow morning with a fine tooth comb.

EDIT: I was so thrilled to get my bike that I agreed to ride bitch on my buddies ZX-14 to the dealership (he doesn't have a car). Got a lot of interesting looks on the way there.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts