Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Well, as I'm sure many of you know I attended level 1 of California Superbike School at the island on the weekend. It was my first time out on a track on a bike so a went in the begineer group. While we were waiting to get into the track I noticed a 4x4 towing a trailer with a black 675 and a red speed triple on it. Ended up getting talking to the two riders who both were both pretty cool. The speed triple owner was just down for a look and was doing a street ride that day while his girlfriend did superbike school on the daytona in the same group as me. Turns out she is a forum member on here too, her forum name being Repunsel.

After we got the bikes off the trailers, utes etc and through scrutineering it was time for the course to begin. The way it was structured was with the begineers and intermediates getting grouped together, then breaking off into groups for level 1, 2, 3 & 4. There was then a classroom session for around 30mins to an hour. These were actually really interesting and raised a lot of points which I'd never properly considered before. At the end of the classroom session they would run you through a drill based on the points you had just learnt/talked about. It was about this time I started to worry the whole day was going to be doing slow and boring drills. My concerns were unfounded though as the track sessions were basically just hot laps trying to apply things you had learnt. There was also an on-track riding coach who was focusing solely on you and one other person in that group so he spent plenlty of time following you around. He'd then overtake and get you to follow him while he did the drill. After following you for half a lap he also knew roughly where you were at and would set a pace that would challenge you to keep up without feeling too far out of your comfort zone. This really helped getting your pace up and I found myself pushing far harder than I would normally chasing him around the track. He was also full of great of advice and more than happy to talk about everything I wanted to know. I was late back to the classroom session a couple times from talking to him too long and after the last session before lunch he even walked with me over to the lunch room still talking about my riding. Very cool!

My aim for the day was to get my knee down. When this hadn't happened by lunch and I hadn't heard of anyone in my group pulling it off I started to think it wasn't going to happen. I asked my on-track coach how far off I was on the two right hand slower turns. He said he hadn't really looked at that but would have a good look next session and let me know. The next session out I was following someone through those bends and noticed something. On the same line, at the same speed they got their knee down for most of the corner!!! After this observation I realised it had to be my body position on the bike. It felt like I was already hanging off the bike a looong way but on the next lap I hung off just a little bit further and put my knee out a little bit wider and low and behold: SCRAAAAAAPE!! Just as I straighted up and was grinning to my self like I'd just won lotto my riding coach Lou came round me on the next corner on the outside, off the racing line with knee down while looking back at me (his riding ability blew me away all day and I doubt he wasn't even trying) pumping his fist and giving me the thumbs up and pointing at his knee! I cracked up laughing so hard, he was more excited than I was!

All in all, what an awesome day. I learnt more in one day than I had in my previous 4 years or so of riding. Despite never being on a track before I'd always considering myself a fairly decent rider (not a gun or anything but decent) but that course made me realise I had a lot to learn and still do now. Also, my difference in pace between track session 1 and the last session of the day (session 5) was absolutely massive. While definately still no pro, in the last session I was able to blow by some of the slower riders in the group like they were standing still. Still, there were two or three riders in our group going considerably faster than I was. All but one I was able to hold onto for at least a few corners after they had passed me though (instructors not included, they were crazy yet effortlessly fast) but one lad on a new gixxer 1000 was riding well out of my comfort zone and I realised to try to keep up with him was to invite trouble... :nod: I actually had a bit of a chat with him after and asked him why he wasn't riding in the intermediate group with the mate he has come down with that was riding the loudest street bike I'd ever heard (a black '09 ZX10 with no exup or cat and a straight out pipe)? His reply: F*ck being in the same group as him, he's f*cken crazy..... We both had a good laugh at that...

I'll stop ranting now but I have to say, props to Repunsel on the black 675. Definately had some solid pace by the end of the day and was no doubt giving some of the boys a hurry up. A guy I was talking to a fair bit who was lapping fairly well on a ducati 1098 actually told me that on the last session she overtook him and he wasn't ashamed to say he couldn't catch her back up!! :cool2:

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Nice. Glad you had a good time and learned heaps - great shots, by the way.

Welcome to the knee down club and an addiction that you'll probably never shake.

So ... you gonna be at Mallala on Australia Day?

O.B

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice. Glad you had a good time and learned heaps - great shots, by the way.

Welcome to the knee down club and an addiction that you'll probably never shake.

So ... you gonna be at Mallala on Australia Day?

O.B
Thanks OB. Your right, already addicted. Can't wait to get out to Mallala on Australia Day. See you there.

Sounds like a memorable experience. Hauling a daytona in a ute ain't bad either :drool5:
Haha, thanks mate. The ute has 400hp at the wheels, if it wasn't for hitting the bump stops occaisionaly you wouldn't even know there was anything on the back...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Jealous. Was at PI last year for the '10 MotoGP, track looks like a lot of fun, far better than the rubbish we have up here. Would love to do the CSS day!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sounds like a great day all in all. Ive been thinking baout doing CSS for a while now.

Its not cheap though is it?

Still lovin your exhaust btw

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Rorz, was nice to meet ya the other day. To anyone considering CSS it is highly recommended, it does seem expensive but not when you see the improvement in your riding at the end of the day. I had more than one revelation throughout the day!

And as for the instructers and Brouggy himself -> :notworthy:

A couple of (crappy long distance) pics my lovely husband took of Rorz...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sounds like a great day all in all. Ive been thinking baout doing CSS for a while now.

Its not cheap though is it?

Still lovin your exhaust btw
Do it mate, you won't regret it. I'll definately be going back. I'd like to do a couple track days then head back to do level 2.

Thanks mate, the micron definately follows the lines of the bike. Sounds good too. :coolgleamA:

It's a shame micron went under due to the global financial crisis. The pipe is actually for an 06-08 model but I had it modified to fit the 09/10.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Rorz, was nice to meet ya the other day. To anyone considering CSS it is highly recommended, it does seem expensive but not when you see the improvement in your riding at the end of the day. I had more than one revelation throughout the day!

And as for the instructers and Brouggy himself -> :notworthy:

A couple of (crappy long distance) pics my lovely husband took of Rorz...

Wow, some great shots there Rapunzel. Thanks for putting those up! Did he get any pics of yourself? Post them up. Get a pic of your rear tyre too, I remember it looking like it had done some hard work. How did it look after Broadford?

I think my mate (Pas) got a few flyby videos on his phone from the pit straight viewing area. I'll try to get them from him this week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also did the CSS on that day. Saw you guys or your bikes at least (Rorz & Rapunzel) and meant to come over and have a chat (always keen to talk to people with good taste). Unfortunately one of my mates binned his bike so that kept me a bit buzy for the rest of the day in between class and track time.

Hope to meet you on the track or road soon.

P.S. I'm new. Hi everyone.

Chilli

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.