Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Race Team Sponsor
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I am finished with my fiberglass repair of the track plastics (Catalyst). Going to be sanding them down and giving them a new look in the next week or two.

I want them to look nice so I was wondering if:
1) Anybody could help me with paint scheme ideas/renderings
- I would preferably like to keep my graphite tank (possibly could add vinyl to continue a color in the scheme) But am not completely opposed to painting that as well
- I want white wheels (I think) and that's about all I know. Am open to any other *simple* ideas

2) Painting Techniques/Guides
- I currently have access to a compressor and could buy a paint gun and go that route (but I have no idea what I am doing)
- I could try what Terry did with his bike (the high density foam rollers), but think that it might look better if I ended up spraying it?

Anybody have suggestions? Any help appreciated :thumbup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would imagine using a gun is the safest route but like you - I would have no idea what I'm doing! It's definitely worth experimenting though, it's all fixable. Good luck and post pictures when you're done!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I don't have much advise to offer but I did paint mine myself. I bought a spray gun and used my compressor. I have never painted before so I was going at it some what blind.
I did a couple of coats of each color then a couple of clear coats on top. It came out okay and looks good from a few feet back. Painting is just one of those things that takes practice so the more you do the better your going to get. I'm happy with the job I did and it's just for the track so I'm not too worried about it. It's held up okay so far but is starting to chip etc. I'm sure if a pro had done it it would have looked and held up much better.

I've posted this before but this is what I did with mine if your looking for ideas?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Someone posted an awesome paint "step by step" on here a while back. At the time I suggested it be stickied because it was in detail and the chap did a very nice job.

Don't think it got stickied but will try and find the link - anyone else know the post I'm talking about???

·
Race Team Sponsor
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone posted an awesome paint "step by step" on here a while back. At the time I suggested it be stickied because it was in detail and the chap did a very nice job.

Don't think it got stickied but will try and find the link - anyone else know the post I'm talking about???
Ya, it was ShnikeJSB's old post...good detail about fixing / priming your stuff for paint.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
I would imagine using a gun is the safest route but like you - I would have no idea what I'm doing! It's definitely worth experimenting though, it's all fixable. Good luck and post pictures when you're done!
+1 on What Enjay386 said. My dad got an electric airless paint sprayer a week after I just painted my track plastics :rant:(aka...Doctor Dirty's Cock Rocket):
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2371108&id=6010830&l=8bcaff2104

I wish I had an extra set of plastics....oh wait....I have some spare bits I don't mind practicing on.

I also tried the High Density Foam roller method. It definitely works, but its much slower. The bottom section in black was done using the high density foam rollers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Get someone to photoshop some pictures for you of your idea's, that way you have an idea of how it will look with that scheme.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Get someone to photoshop some pictures for you of your idea's, that way you have an idea of how it will look with that scheme.
That or find Shalihe's post about needing a simple photoshop job of the bike In the thread there are pics you can download where you can print them out and use coloring markers to plan your paint job. That's how I did mine

·
Race Team Sponsor
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

What do you think of something like this???

I kinda like it! Any ideas on that stray graphite line/design? Would white wheels look good with it? Another color that would be better?

·
Registered
17 Posts
the graphite + the white looks nice imo, but it sure could do without the burgundy and yellow.

Stick to the graphite and white imho

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I really like the idea of a 1960's GULF paintscheme like the old GT40's at Le Mans. Or maybe a British racing green with sparsley applied fluorescent orange or yellow trim like the Aston Martin DB9 race cars.

·
Registered
341 Posts
What part? The yellow number plates are required to race in cmra novice..
I'm not really one for busy paint schemes - for me it takes away the natural lines of the bike. I just thought it was looking a little loaded in the colour department.
My suggestion would be to possibly just focus on 2 complimentary colours that work together, maybe using a pin line to separate the points where they meet.
As Tooblekain pointed out though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if you like it, just go for it. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
I like it Ben, I'm sure it would look better in real rather than just using a paint program.

However, I think blue and white look the best.. :grin:

·
Race Team Sponsor
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What about these? I would have to paint the tank though...

·
Race Team Sponsor
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK I changed my mind. I like this one.

What do you think?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts