Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here do p90x in the past or currently? I canceled my gym membership about three to four months ago do to moving and am interested in p90x. I heard all you need to buy additionally is a set of dumbbells and a pull up bar.

Looking for any information you have, positive or negative, thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
its a pretty sick workout. tons of variety and disciplines. they also recommend having exercise (tension) bands. if you have the discipline to do it at home its worth the price and you can tailor it to what you want, not just a single schedule

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
My girlfriend did it for ohh like 4 or 5 months. I would do it occasionally with her. Pretty good work out, the guy, Tony, is pretty entertaining too. For chicks it's pretty easy to not need a lot, but as far as dumbbells and pull up bar is concerned, you are correct. However, as a guy, you'll need a lot more dumbbells. Probs anywhere from 10's to as high as 50's. Get one of those powerblock things. Work really well. 2 of them anyways that is.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have heard good things about it from friends. Especially those that fully bought into the nutrition component. I decided to stay with the gym because I like getting out of the house for an hour or so every day.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
i made a legit attempt at it at the beginning of last summer, and stuck with it for 2 months.

i didnt have the diet program they put you on or any of the supplements or whatever. i just had the DVDs. i just watched what i ate, upped the protein a bit, and cut out anything i thought was bad.

it worked great. probably would have been even better if i followed the whole 90 day program to the T. but i just winged it.

i have played a very high level of hockey my entire life, up until just a couple years ago. and i still play today. it definitely holds up in my book as a good workout. it touches on alot of the training i did in training camps as a player.

while i did notice, as well as others, a change in appearance, weight loss and muscle gain, i also noticed a big difference while playing hockey. i still play with a bunch of ex pro and college players, and i could notice a major difference in my stamina and speed. i think i noticed a bigger difference in my overall well being, than my physical form, even though both were transformed.

it basically got my ass in shape. i would recommend it to anyone, its a great workout. :thumbup:hope that helped.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
also i should mention i just started back on it again last week. and if you havent worked out in a while, you will feel the first week, bad.

i hadnt been that sore in a looong time. even the first time around, i dont remember being that bad.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the opinions.

My girlfriend did it for ohh like 4 or 5 months. I would do it occasionally with her. Pretty good work out, the guy, Tony, is pretty entertaining too. For chicks it's pretty easy to not need a lot, but as far as dumbbells and pull up bar is concerned, you are correct. However, as a guy, you'll need a lot more dumbbells. Probs anywhere from 10's to as high as 50's. Get one of those powerblock things. Work really well. 2 of them anyways that is.
Got a link for a good power block set? I don't really want to spend $300 and up to get a decent pair.

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
I have done it and its good, but I like the gym because it allows me to get away from everyone and just "relax". The gym is my anger management really haha

I do like the ab workout from it though its a good one.

·
Registered
293 Posts
im on week 3 bro.... so far im more than impressed. me and the gf are doing it together... i have the pull up bar and we bought some tension bands because i couldnt afford, nor do i have the room for a set of dumbbells. the bands work fine, just step on more slack when you need heavier wet. hasnt really been an issue yet. i have a whole new respect for people who do yoga. haha that shit is intense. good luck to you with it, i think it will do as you hope as long as you stick with it.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Definitely a great workout, but it is a bit more time consuming than others that are pretty effective (Insanity), and you do need a good deal of space for the plyo & kempo. I've gone through it once and am getting ready to do a second round once the holidays are over. Dropped 20 lbs in the first month of round one. I started off with just bands, but ended up picking up a pair of powerblocks to really be able to do some of the exercises effectively. Most of the exercises are fine with a 50lb powerblock set, but on a few of the back exercises I'm already pushing needing more. I guess that's not such a bad thing, but the damn weights are expensive.

I highly recommend it, but you've got to be in pretty good shape to begin with to be able to do it. The nutrition plan is pretty straightforward, but I haven't tried their supplements yet.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
im on week 3 bro.... so far im more than impressed. me and the gf are doing it together... i have the pull up bar and we bought some tension bands because i couldnt afford, nor do i have the room for a set of dumbbells. the bands work fine, just step on more slack when you need heavier wet. hasnt really been an issue yet. i have a whole new respect for people who do yoga. haha that shit is intense. good luck to you with it, i think it will do as you hope as long as you stick with it.
Yeah, the yoga is the real ass-kicker initially. When you can get through the 45 minutes of vinyasa's before the 45 minutes of balance postures, you know you've really accomplished something.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Thanks for the opinions.

Got a link for a good power block set? I don't really want to spend $300 and up to get a decent pair.
Check out ebay, people are selling them all the time. Don't really need the newest version of them honestly. I have the first generation of them and they work perfectly fine.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I have a buddy who just finished his first 90 day round. He has to weigh at least 3 bills. He dropped about 30 lbs overall, but the big difference on him is where you can't see. He's still a big guy, obviously, but he put a genuine effort in and it payed off big time. He started his 2nd round just the other day. If I wasn't such a lazy bastard I would do it myself. Haha

·
Registered
70 Posts
I cancelled my gym member ship and went on p90x 5 months ago. I bought a set of Bowflex 552's and a pullup bar, went on a semi-strict diet and completed the 3 month regiment. In the end I lost 37lb's and went down almost 3 pant sizes. It's a great program and I'll probably start my 2nd round after the holidays

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everyone thanks again for all the input, its greatly appreciated. Seems like this is what I would like. I'm not over weight (5'10~170 pounds) but I would like a workout to kick my ass and break up the same routine I did going to a gym.

One question I have at the top of my head is about the nutrition. I don't do full on Atkins (no carbs) but I do make an effort to eat low carb. What is this diet/nutrition guide/restriction like? I probably take in 50 net carbs from eating. I never count beer but lately I do captain and diet coke.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
There are different levels of diet based upon your BMI. The first phase is fat shredding/cleaning out, which you stay on for a week or more depending on your level of body fat. That is really the only low carb part of the diet and you basically decide when to move to phase two.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I was thinking about giving this a shot. I already lost 40lbs jsut by eating healthier and following my own little regiment that I made up. I would like to lose about 20 more and think this would really be fun. The only thing I am not sure about is that I live in an apartment and it's not noise friendly at all. I think the people below me would be pissed if I was doing this at 6 in the morning everyday.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
if you can, try to take in more protein. i try and take in 2 grams of protein per 1 pound of body weight. thats a little excessive, but you will notice some good muscle gains if you do. and try and take in some glutamine, it helps the protein synthesis in your muscles. it will help your body use more of the protein you take in, and repair them stronger. 4500-5000 mg of glatamine per day should be good.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I was thinking about giving this a shot. I already lost 40lbs jsut by eating healthier and following my own little regiment that I made up. I would like to lose about 20 more and think this would really be fun. The only thing I am not sure about is that I live in an apartment and it's not noise friendly at all. I think the people below me would be pissed if I was doing this at 6 in the morning everyday.
i dont think it should be a problem if you have the discipline to control yourself when working out. several times in several of the workouts he stresses soft landings when jumping and being light on your feet. i really dont think youd have an issue with noise

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
This is what I got to keep the noise level down. It's big enough to do all of the exercises including the plyo. Good, thick, heavy duty work out surface.

http://www.csnstores.com/asp/superb...O1043&PiID=3472111&refid=FR49-AEO1043_3472111

1 - 20 of 24 Posts