1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
Awesome video. :bowdown:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Those guys never cease to amaze me. I wonder if the white lines on the road are super slippery like the ones in here in the states???

·
Registered
596 Posts
:coolgleamA::coolgleamA:
Thanks for posting that - winter madness starting to set in.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
My first thought upon reading the title was of the American Top Gear premiere when Tanner and Rutlidge got smoked racing an Apache in a new Viper. Goes to show you need 2 wheels and a touch of insanity to outrun a helicopter. I love watching the TT every summer. One day I will get to the Isle to take it all in firsthand.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
:coolgleamA::coolgleamA:
Thanks for posting that - winter madness starting to set in.
Watch the Dakar every day on Eurosport, started on Jan 1st. Half hour program each evening. Mental! That should give you a good fix, helps me I know that much.

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
I'm starting to make motorcycle sounds while I drive :stupid:
Haha, I do that all year round.. Ask Angela, she wants to kill me. :laugh:

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think you'd find it would literally be a few minutes quicker!
I really wonder if it would be...due to how skinney some places get and the fact that at speed things go airborn...
Isle of Man TT's are nuts....A dream sure, but I donno that I would want to race them, I've been airborn at speed a handful of times and I do not at all like the feeling.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I really wonder if it would be...due to how skinney some places get and the fact that at speed things go airborn...
I wonder too...an F1 car would NOT be happy on many parts of that course.

Great video though, I can watch Isle of Man racing all day long.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I wonder too...an F1 car would NOT be happy on many parts of that course.

Great video though, I can watch Isle of Man racing all day long.
I agree. There wouldn't be enough ground clearance or suspension travel. I've driven the course in a car and in some places at 80mph it's as bumpy as hell. The bikes are doing more like 180mph in the same place. You'll notice in the YouTube clip that the bike is moving a lot, up and down on the suspension. Most riders run their suspension close to road bike rather than track settings, as the course is very bumpy. I remember reading one of the top riders (Steve Hislop I think) saying in an interview that on one part of the course it's so bumpy he gets double vision at nearly 200mph. And then he has to work out where to brake! Yikes!

As it is, plenty of bikes break due to the stresses induced on them, so I doubt an F1 car could cope.

However in theory it would be quicker. If you look at a circuit like Magny-Cours. The F1 times are about 1min 15 sec, the WSB times about 1min 38 sec over a 2.74 mile circuit. That's 23 sec faster per lap, so over the 37 mile TT course that would be about 5 minutes faster.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Those guys never cease to amaze me. I wonder if the white lines on the road are super slippery like the ones in here in the states???
Most of them are but they use special (very expensive) anti slip paint on the TT course.

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Banned
440 Posts
Isle of Mann Awesome Video

:cool2: Oh yeah, that is an absolutely awesome Isle of Mann Video,

One of the bucket list to do items on my motorcycle agenda,

:notworthy: All hail to the riders,

Thanks for sharing,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,