Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what the open carry laws are while riding a motorcycle across many different states (California to Alabama).

I own a Ruger P90 with standard size clips.

I'd be carrying it on a thigh holster with clip on the opposite side of my hip.

Your knowledge of laws is very welcomed.

--Kory

·
Banned
365 Posts
:whistle:..with the MAC-10 on the side of my Hip"

will you be shooting blanks now btw? ;)!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AAAAAHHH I get it... it's a vasectomy joke... :biggrinjester::laugh:

Good one :thumbup:

·
Registered
892 Posts
AFAIK... unless it involves the use of public transportation or certain classes of weapons like silenced or full auto firearms... there are no federal laws governing interstate transportation of hand guns on your person. However, many states (and in some cases individual counties and cities) can make it illegal to carry one across their border and you would definitely need to be able to legally carry in the state of destination and it is sometimes required for firearms of any kind to be shipped through authorized gun dealers so this can be verified before releasing it to you at the other end. In addition to this, there can be different laws concerning the transportation of any explosives like ammunition which in some cases may be harder to transport than the firearm itself. I'm sure competition shooters know the ins and outs better than anyone else but it's very likely that they simply have tons of permits to cover individual local laws and have a supplier for their favorite ammo set up in advance where they normally travel too. Anyway, you'll just have to check the laws in your state, the one your traveling to and any you may pass through on the way.

PS: Just noticed that you asked about "open carry". Note that this is far less commonly legal than concealed carry and even if it is legal in every state between CA and AL... which I highly doubt... I still wouldn't do it as being a guy on a bike with out-of-state plates and a visible firearm would just be asking for trouble my friend.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AFAIK... unless it involves the use of public transportation or certain classes of weapons like silenced or full auto firearms... there are no federal laws governing interstate transportation of hand guns on your person. However, many states (and in some cases individual counties and cities) can make it illegal to carry one across their border and you would definitely need to be able to legally carry in the state of destination and it is sometimes required for firearms of any kind to be shipped through authorized gun dealers so this can be verified before releasing it to you at the other end. In addition to this, there can be different laws concerning the transportation of any explosives like ammunition which in some cases may be harder to transport than the firearm itself. I'm sure competition shooters know the ins and outs better than anyone else but it's very likely that they simply have tons of permits to cover individual local laws and have a supplier for their favorite ammo set up in advance where they normally travel too. Anyway, you'll just have to check the laws in your state, the one your traveling to and any you may pass through on the way.

PS: Just noticed that you asked about "open carry". Note that this is far less commonly legal than concealed carry and even if it is legal in every state between CA and AL... which I highly doubt... I still wouldn't do it as being a guy on a bike with out-of-state plates and a visible firearm would just be asking for trouble my friend.
Hmm, this seems like it's going to cause me more trouble than it will do me good. So I'll scratch the idea of even bringing my firearm on this trip. I'll be sticking to the main highways so I assume it would be safer.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
There's always knives with blades under 6"... as many as ya like! :grin:
5.25" if you plan on crossing through TX. Oh, and make sure it's not a fixed blade and that it's also not a double edged blade (dagger) and not an auto knife. Auto is defined as a knife that is opened with a single push of a button, or that is opened by gravity without any assistance. So assisted knives are legal.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I carry this with me ALWAYS. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Tattoo, check out this site. Just fill in your name and email addy. Will send you a password to download PDF for Concealed Carry laws in all 50 states. It is updated every year. It will give you all the info you need for each state. Very wise to check it for travel.

http://www.myutahccw.com/concealed-carry-law/

Edit* I also just realized you originally said open-carry. This may prove to be difficult. The above link should give that info also.

·
Banned
365 Posts
True, a good knife is a good replacement for a gun in most situations and it's much easier to carry one and not draw any attention.
Is that u joking?
These are hunting knives? Their one purpose is to split animals open neck to nuts and so their insides can drop out.
I mean are you hoping the other guy will have a knife too so you can have a Knife Fight?
If you carry one of these into a scrap, it will get taken from you and you will end up in Hospital wishing you had of carried a gun, or just carried your fists around like most ppl.

Edit: Contributed some Knives that will get used

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Is that u joking?
These are hunting knives? Their one purpose is to split animals open neck to nuts and so their insides can drop out.
I mean are you hoping the other guy will have a knife too so you can have a Knife Fight?
If you carry one of these into a scrap, it will get taken from you and you will end up in Hospital wishing you had of carried a gun, or just carried your fists around like most ppl.

Edit: Contributed some Knives that will get used

Those...are not hunting knives. :laugh: And if you know how to handle a blade you are not so helpless.

Here's a good example of a quality knife for utility and protective use.
Assisted opening or Full auto. Conceals well and deploys quickly with practice.

A hunting knife does not have a thumb drive in it. :rofl: This, is a hunting knife:

I carry this one while on duty in a holster tucked behind the gear on my duty belt, opposite my firearm:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Or wishing you had lived in a civilized country :biggrinjester:

·
Banned
365 Posts
Handle a blade, lol.
The ppl that know how to handle a blade keep it dull and in their mouth, and this was before they uprgraded. You as a cop should know this DoubleN.
I dont care what you say, if you carry a big hunting knife around for any reason but hunting, you either stupid or a pussy, or both.

Ya'll know what a self-fullfilling prophecy is, and btw I don't mean no offense to the O.P, all im saying is dont be halfway stupid if your concerned about your safety get a handgun, K, im shutting up now ;)

·
BOTM Marshall
3,511 Posts
Or wishing you had lived in a civilized country :biggrinjester:
strange civilization in which you live

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUayGEWM77w"]YouTube - Teenagers torch cars in France as riots turn violent[/nomedia]

Such a contrast

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFUkZzBfj2U"]YouTube - Student riots in USA March 2010.[/nomedia]

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
That ^^^ is one seriously cool looking knife!
Wonder if I can get one imported in to NZ?
Kershaw? Assuming that's the brand, do you have the part number/type too?
Just got to get one!
Gave my serrated locking knife to a young lad just starting out in pig hunting.
Kershaw has to be about the best "bang for the buck" knife out there. Well priced and quality product to boot. A google search didn't bring much up, looks like you guys are pretty limited on knives. That's too bad. Here's about the only one I could find that's distributing in NZ http://www.legear.com.au/default.asp But I'll bet they are more strict about who buys them there.

Funny, the US has restrictions on certain types of knives, mostly of the auto-opening variety and butterfly type knives. Sporting goods stores are allowed to sell full auto knives (Open with the push of a button) but technically they aren't allowed to sell to anyone other than L/E or Military. I bought one with ease long before I was a Cop. So, apparently they aren't required to keep any records concerning knife sales. Anyway, good luck. Maybe you can become a cop for a while, gather all the necessary equipment...then go back to life as usual. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts