Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am in serious liking of a Dainese full leather suit for next years/upcoming years riding. Specifically the Avro for $899.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=9005

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8992

The one main difference I see in design is the elbow area. For some reason there isn't as much leather on the one piece. Right above the elbow it seems that the elastic material takes up above the elbow where in the two piece there is leather. Other than that I think the one piece is a good bit nicer looking and nicer fit/layed out.

I am really leaning toward the one piece, but I like the idea of being able to take off my jacket and relax when we stop where ever we go. Seeing how I only do no track days...still at a toss up.

Question to all you full leather people, does a one piece have better safety at all? Or possibly more comfy? (Less zippers by the stomach/pelvis area)

Anything you can tell me/help me with I would appreciate it. I know it is not a 2k suit...but still a GOOD chunk of change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey mate, I own a dainese trickster two piece suit and can tell you that when riding you hardly notice the extra zippers.

Best thing to do is try them on as fitment to your body shape will be the biggest factor to consider.

To me a two piece suit is more versatile as when I'm heading to a mates house or shops I just put on the jacket with jeans.

Track or Road good for both worlds..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Addressing the first issue - the lack of leather on the elbows on the one piece. When we make our suits - we use accordion (leather over stretch panel) but also put hard armor on that area as well. I'm guessing they went this route for comfort and mobility. Most crashes that we see though - the forearms and elbows take a lot of the beating. So - I'd lean towards the 2-piece in that regard.

2-piece vs 1-piece...since you're doing all of your riding on the street - I think a 2-piece again would be your best bet.

The only thing I'd really look for in a 2-piece suit is that it uses a 360 zipper (this Dainese does) and that it uses metal zippers, not plastic. The zippers will be the weakest part of any suit - and this will eliminate 90% issues with 2-piece suits.

They usually offer more pockets, better choice of liners, though 1-piece suits are quite a bit more comfortable, and a lot more flexible.

Depending on your location - it's almost best to try to get out there and try some on - a lot of it is personal feel.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
51 Posts
i had two piece set i used, for trackdays,dry street rides and touring around europe, but went to the NEC bike show towards the end and picked up a new spyke 1 piece for £150! i couldnt not at that price, spyke is a lowly suit competitor i know but still £150! i havnt had the pleasure of using it yet because of the weather but i can tell you now the 2 piece is much more practical, with pockets and removable inner layer and stuff, but the 1piece is alot lighter for one(less material, tighter fit), and feels safer to me because of the lack of zip round the middle. but i wont be using it for touring or majority of road riding, no way, its not as comfortable or practical so in that respect you would be better off getting a 2 piece for the middle ground

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing is finding a place that sells Dainese. Closest I believe is Revzilla in Philly. I believe they opened a store in NY, Dainese that is.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The only thing is finding a place that sells Dainese. Closest I believe is Revzilla in Philly. I believe they opened a store in NY, Dainese that is.
Cycle Gear is your best bet, they carry LOTS of Dainese. I know There's one in DE, not sure about PA.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just placed an order for a 2 piece Dainese Avro black/anthracite from Diego at Cycle Sector, AWESOME deal!

·
Registered
71 Posts
i'm starting to research leathers and was contemplating 1- vs 2-piece when i came across this thread. so, i was hoping to generate a little more discussion.

my primary use will be racing. but, it would be ideal if i could get a garment for racing that i could also use for canyon carving and enjoy the convenience of being able to take off the jacket when we stop to grab lunch or whatever.

but, the convenience factor is far lower priority than the safety factor. so, are 2-piece leathers as safe as a 1-piece suit?

i'm new to moto racing and i don't yet know what i don't know. are there any other reasons a 2-piece suit wouldn't be ideal for racing?

cheers,
Craig

·
Registered
499 Posts
1-pc offers more protection. There is reason why 2pc suits aren't allowed in racing.

The biggest safety risk with 2pc suits is a failure of the zipper which will allow the jacket portion to "ride up" and leave your back exposed. I remember reading a story about a guy who got paralyzed when something like that happened.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
For racing, or canyon carving I would go with a 1 piece. I have a two piece for financial reasons.

First, I can't afford (currently) to have gear for every occasion, so my two piece allows me to be fully kitted up for the track and canyons, but also allows me to just use the jacket when I'm commuting. 2 piece suits are very convenient for that.

However, they are not nearly as safe as a quality 1 piece. If I was going to be racing, I wouldn't want a two piece at all. Hell, I am only doing track days, and I am already saving for a 1 piece. Heres why:

I crashed at the track going pretty fast, and did a fair amount of sliding, while wearing a two piece. While it did it's job pretty well, it wasn't perfect. The jacket was pulled up, and the zipper was desimated. This meant that I got road rash around my hip (not much..just a bit) because the jacket seperated from the pants. Additionally, because the zipper was destroyed (the leather was still completely serviceable) my day was over. Had I had a 1 piece on, I would have been good to get back on the bike.

So, I would strongly encourage you to get a 1 piece, even for the street.

Edit: Chaotic covered the main point, which is one I didn't know...two pieces aren't allowed, so that right there answers your question haha

·
Registered
71 Posts
thanks for the helpful input, guys. Aviator's story is now the second firsthand account i've read of 2-piece suits failing during high speed slides. that's enough for me.

i've dealt with enough road rash from my days of bicycle racing. convenience is nice and all but i'll sacrifice it to save my skin.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I am only doing track days
Not to pick on you, but that statement is kind of a pet peeve of mine. The worst crash I have ever had was at a track day....my FIRST track day to be exact.....riding in the Novice group.

I was passing a guy on the outside in T1 at Talladega and he laid his bike down and took me out. Bad oncussion (unconscious for 45min), broken collarbone, broken rib, sprained ankle, cracked wrist and all of the associated bruising and soreness that comes with any get off.

Moral of the story is that you (read: anybody) can crash at any time and nobody should ever "settle" for lesser safety gear simply because it is "just a track day" or "just street riding" or "just going to the store".

Regardless of how good of a rider you are, there are many things that are out of your control. Always be dressed for the worst.

[/soapbox]

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
A two-piece will always offer less protection than a one-piece because it has a failure point built in ... the zipper.

Two-piece suits are particularly bad when (as often) the zipper is attached the lining to the lining, rather than the leather to the leather. Avoid that design like the plague.

O.B

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Not to pick on you, but that statement is kind of a pet peeve of mine. The worst crash I have ever had was at a track day....my FIRST track day to be exact.....riding in the Novice group.

I was passing a guy on the outside in T1 at Talladega and he laid his bike down and took me out. Bad oncussion (unconscious for 45min), broken collarbone, broken rib, sprained ankle, cracked wrist and all of the associated bruising and soreness that comes with any get off.

Moral of the story is that you (read: anybody) can crash at any time and nobody should ever "settle" for lesser safety gear simply because it is "just a track day" or "just street riding" or "just going to the store".

Regardless of how good of a rider you are, there are many things that are out of your control. Always be dressed for the worst.

[/soapbox]
Fair enough. I will be the first to admit, I am one of those that often rides in jeans and a riding jacket on the street. Sometimes convenience/comfort wins against protection for me.

I only meant that track days do not have restrictions against two piece suits, and are fairly common among the amatuer-ish crowd like me (those that only hit the track a few times a year). I would (and did :biggrinjester:) encourage anyone to have a 1 piece before a two piece.

A two-piece will always offer less protection than a one-piece because it has a failure point built in ... the zipper.

Two-piece suits are particularly bad when (as often) the zipper is attached the lining to the lining, rather than the leather to the leather. Avoid that design like the plague.

O.B
I have one. :whistle:

It did OK in my crash, but as I said above, it will likely fail in any serious sliding.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm looking at getting into track riding when i get back home and have been watching video reviews on revzilla for the past few days. Do guys who do track days own two sets of riding gear? One set for the street and one strictly for track or once you move to a full on track suit is that what you wear for street riding (except for putting around etc)?

I like the convenience of the two piece and the ability to put on a jacket with jeans when I'm out with friends or going to work but I don't want to buy stuff for the street and find out that I can't ride with it on the track

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm looking at getting into track riding when i get back home and have been watching video reviews on revzilla for the past few days. Do guys who do track days own two sets of riding gear? One set for the street and one strictly for track or once you move to a full on track suit is that what you wear for street riding (except for putting around etc)?

I like the convenience of the two piece and the ability to put on a jacket with jeans when I'm out with friends or going to work but I don't want to buy stuff for the street and find out that I can't ride with it on the track
Yes.

I have a track 1-piece suit that I wear on track and street. Weekend canyon (yeah, Texas canyons!) carving or a coffee run to a town 30m away...lets put that 1-piece on! Taking GF out teaching her to ride? 1-piece! I look like a goofball walking into starbucks/frozen yogurt places, but hey, its my skin.

For riding to work/store I wear kevlar jeans, textile jacket, my other riding boots and my other gauntlet gloves. So basically 2 sets of gear.

The sad reality of track days is that Advanced group is the safest. You're much more likely to crash in novice or intermediate, not because of your own lack of skills but due to other riders' lack of skill. And the severity of crashes tends to be higher in Nov/Inter (thats my own anecdotal evidence...) b/c people don't wear back protectors or wear some crappy put-together sets.

Nobody says that 2-piece will not keep you safe. It will but the likelihood of the suit coming apart is higher. How far you slide depends on your speed. Will you be OK in 95% of crashes? Probably. Does that 5% bother you? Up to you. If/When you get to advanced group, you will be sporting a 1-piece just like the rest of us, after seeing crashes every track day and going "Daaaaammmmnnnn".

·
Registered
239 Posts
One piece offers most protection and inspires most confidence- also feels most comfortable when you are actually on the bike.

Only downside to a one piece is you can't take the top bit right off when you stop at the cafe on your weekend ride.

My advice would be try on a suit before you buy. It should be pretty tight, but you should have full range of movement off the peg cos it will stretch once you've broke it in. If it's loose off the peg- it's too big!

I'm a one piece voter!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm thinking about the same question at the moment. I was leaning to a 2pc, but I'm wondering if there is any difference between getting a 2pc suit as opposed to a jacket and a pair of pants that zip together, you know, as separate items. Or is this just the same thing?

Do 2pc jackets tend to be shorter than the separate jackets for example?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts