Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tried searching but couldnt find the answer. I'm wanting to get my passenger pegs, rear sets, and kickstand powdercoated black. I was wondering if i needed to break each part down as far as it goes, or can the entire passenger peg assembly (peg and bracket) be powdercoated together??

·
Registered
169 Posts
you have to break everything down.

Everything is really easy to break down, just make sure you keep each pieces bolts and springs separated. it can be a real headache trying to figure out what size bolt goes to what.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
you have to break everything down.

Everything is really easy to break down, just make sure you keep each pieces bolts and springs separated. it can be a real headache trying to figure out what size bolt goes to what.
Scotty, that's fantastic! Did you do that with an Eastwood kit?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Doublen,

No i wish i had the time and talent to do my own powder coating but i actually had NJcustom do it for me. but yes the peices look even better in person and i've put well over 1000 miles on them and there is almost not sign of wear on the rearsets or pegs. (i'm hard on my pegs, i really grind my foot into them)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Doublen,

No i wish i had the time and talent to do my own powder coating but i actually had NJcustom do it for me. but yes the peices look even better in person and i've put well over 1000 miles on them and there is almost not sign of wear on the rearsets or pegs. (i'm hard on my pegs, i really grind my foot into them)
NJ does some fantastic work. I believe he is using the Eastwood system too. Good to know, I have a spare oven and a 220 outlet in my garage that I am not using. Maybe next winter we be doin' some powdercoating. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Dub,

Is the Eastwood kit the same one they sell at Harbor Freight? I've got my eye on that and I really don't need a big oven since it's just pegs and small bits here and there. Might check craigslist for a cheap oven and wire it in my garage too!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I got the eastwood kit and it applies powder just fine as far as I can tell. Most of the quality is the prep, as with paint.

I also got a small countertop oven for $15 at good will, so try that outlet too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Scotty0481, did you install the newly powder coated parts? I'd like to see a pic after the install if you have it.

I've been eyeing up the eastwood kit. The only thing that's stopping me from ordering the kit is figuring out which version of black powder to get with the it. I want to try to match the finish on the frame of my Daytona. The 3 different blacks that eastwood offers that would be close to the frame finish are: Flat Black, Textured Black, and Wrinkle Coat Black. Anybody have experience with any of these powders? I'd guess either Textured or Wrinkle would be the closest?

Also Scotty0481, do you know what "version" of black they put on your parts?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Dub,

Is the Eastwood kit the same one they sell at Harbor Freight? I've got my eye on that and I really don't need a big oven since it's just pegs and small bits here and there. Might check craigslist for a cheap oven and wire it in my garage too!
I don't think it is. They don't look similar. But, I wonder how well the gun works? That's a lot cheaper (For me) and I'll bet it would work with the Eastwood powder. :hmm:

The Eastwood HotCoat system:

The Harbor Freight System:

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have all three blacks, and none of them match the frame. I'm working with experimenting and mixing right now, but am not too hopeful for an exact match. When you hold a piece of black up to the frame, it's much duller, with some sparkle, and maybe a tad of blue hue....

I hear it's a special blend made only from triumph.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I have all three blacks, and none of them match the frame. I'm working with experimenting and mixing right now, but am not too hopeful for an exact match. When you hold a piece of black up to the frame, it's much duller, with some sparkle, and maybe a tad of blue hue....

I hear it's a special blend made only from triumph.
Typical :notamused:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah. I bet if I had $250 to order powders, a scale for mixing, metals for blanks, and a weekend to test it all out and mix combinations, I could probably get really, really close. it's just hard to invest so much into buying powders that you might not ever use.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Greg,

Which of those 3 blacks you have is closest to matching the frame? In addition to color I'm also wondering how the texturing looks for the "Textured" and "Wrinkle" powders (the pics on the Eastwood site suck).

Did this thread get jacked? Oops... :whistle:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts