Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently became an owner of a 2008 Daytona 675, my first ever Triumph. Bought the bike from a dude which hadn't really taken care of it. A lot of cheap aftermarket mods, not to mention the lack of maintenance and T.L.C. Got it for a good price and I immediately started restoring it. Mechanically it's in pretty good shape. The bike didn't come with any service history so I need to perform a thorough maintenance. Which is why I'm here. Trying to learn the bike and all bikes in general while hopefully meeting new people. Looking forward to chatting with you guys.

Took this picture right after I bought it. Doesn't look as good in person, can promise you that :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi everyone,

I recently became an owner of a 2008 Daytona 675, my first ever Triumph. Bought the bike from a dude which hadn't really taken care of it. A lot of cheap aftermarket mods, not to mention the lack of maintenance and T.L.C. Got it for a good price and I immediately started restoring it. Mechanically it's in pretty good shape. The bike didn't come with any service history so I need to perform a thorough maintenance. Which is why I'm here. Trying to learn the bike and all bikes in general while hopefully meeting new people. Looking forward to chatting with you guys.

Took this picture right after I bought it. Doesn't look as good in person, can promise you that :)

View attachment 259854
Congrats on the new ride man. Very nice! I too bought mine from a guy who seriously neglected the most basic maintenance. Sad to see happen to such a nice bike which is why I’m so happy it belongs to me now. I’m sure the bike is too lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
610 Posts
Welcome, but that's not a 2008. That colour (Caspian Blue) was only available in 2011 or 2012, the motor is a second gen, the forks are second gen, and the upper fairing is second gen (colour aside). If the title states 2008, my guess is there was either an accident or theft and someone bought a frame and swapped everything over.
In any case, my favorite Daytona, nice bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. When you say Gen2 do you mean 2009-2013 model year? Because I’ve heard Daytonas having title saying 2008 but actually they are of model year 2009. I just thought that was the case here.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Second gen is 09-12. There was some overlap in some 08-09 bikes, but that colour didn't come out until 2011 iirc. There's too much second gen stuff on that bike to be an 08.

Reactions: mistblind

·
Registered
610 Posts
The only blue that the Daytona came in, in 2008 was neon blue. I had that colour, yours is most definitely not neon blue.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Did you manage to come up with an explanation? Does your paperwork say it's a 2008 model? What does the VIN say?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I managed to get hold of the vehicle history report and it seems that it was damaged back in 2012, manufactured 2008. The report is on the VIN of the frame so that basically confirms that the frame was swapped. An insurance company was involved but however the frame was most likely bought second hand. Perhaps to keep repair costs down? Anyway, it all happened long ago and the bike has been serviced since then so I'm not that worried. Kinda positively surprised that I own a newer bike than I originally thought.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Was the blue fairings and gold wheels combo ever an option?
Yes, with Caspian Blue in 2011. In 2008 Neon Blue came with dark grey wheels. Those are the only two shades of blue the bike came in.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I managed to get hold of the vehicle history report and it seems that it was damaged back in 2012, manufactured 2008. The report is on the VIN of the frame so that basically confirms that the frame was swapped. An insurance company was involved but however the frame was most likely bought second hand. Perhaps to keep repair costs down? Anyway, it all happened long ago and the bike has been serviced since then so I'm not that worried. Kinda positively surprised that I own a newer bike than I originally thought.
You have it backwards, the frame is still 2008. It's everything else that's 2012. I wouldn't be upset about it at all. Pay for an 08 and end up with an almost 2012.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sorry I misunderstood. The bike started as a 2011/2012, was crashed, and rebuilt using a 2008 frame. Now the title shows it as a 2008. Definitely not surprised as the steering stop on these frames breaks in a strong wind. When that happens, you have a track frame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Exactly, so not worried so much. And again it all happened long ago so not much to do about it now. Awesome bike nonetheless and looking forward for every ride.
I actually checked the steering stops and they are intact.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts