Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title says i figure that this season will be a good year to test the waters. I live in Jersey so best choice would be to go to a track in the area. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations of a company to take the class and learn from? Any other advice about what i need to do to my bike would be appreciated also. Thanks guys.

·
Chiperator
5,539 Posts
So as the title says i figure that this season will be a good year to test the waters. I live in Jersey so best choice would be to go to a track in the area. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations of a company to take the class and learn from? Any other advice about what i need to do to my bike would be appreciated also. Thanks guys.
Without a doubt > http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/

TPM http://www.teampromotion.com/ , Nesba http://www.nesba.com/ and a host of other track org's run there.

Read through the tech requirements for each org on their websites.

At the start it is easy to go to town buying all kinds of go faster goodies for your bike that may in fact not make you faster at all (I speak from experience). Choose some good rubber (doesn't need to be top of the line race spec for a novice), tape your lights (after disconnecting the headlamp plug), maybe remove the turn signals and tail light if you're so inclined (super easy on the 675), switch to whichever coolant is approved by the org you go with (I personally use 7th Gear polypropylene glycol) and then go rock your socks off. Also get your stock suspension set up by a professional at the track (most days have someone there spinning wrenches on forks and shocks).
When you start making big headway and moving up the ranks at the track maybe then spend money on go fast goodies. That's just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
2,821 Posts
Hey I was exactly where you are last year. You should check out the post Tapcon made on the general discussions forum. His Triumph organized track day last year was a perfect place to get my first day in. I highly recommend this because last year it included ART1 training which was for beginners and it really helped me get comfortable on the track (that and everyone there was so helpful,shout out to John and Tom).

As for the bike I would recommend some track bodywork but it isn't necessary. You just need to tape over your lights with painters tape, take off license plate. Make sure you have good tires,brakes etc.

Gear wise you can rent some. But you need full helmet, leather suit, gauntlet gloves, full coverage boots and a quality back protector.
Riders Discount a forum sponsor has all that you need at great prices.

Id link to some good threads but I on a phone.

If you have any questions pm me. We can also meet up since I am in NJ too.

The track is the best!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Yeah i read tapcons thread and was thinking about it but wasn't sure if there was going to be the whole beginners class and all that going on. As for go fast goodies well i already have my fair share of mods. Lets hope i dont wreck and desroy them all. Already running engine ice so i hope that is ok. Really so no brake light either. That i didn't realize.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
Awesome man, where in NJ are you from? The above posts pretty much covered everything I was going to tell you. :nod:

·
Registered
780 Posts
I live up north in Jefferson. If you know where that is.
I know where Jefferson is, because I grew up and lived in Newton up until 3 years ago. Don't hesitate get signed up for a trackday, because it will be the most fun you will ever have on your bike. The 675 forum trackday was a blast last year and was super laid back even. Don't worry about being a beginner there were more beginners and intermediates (like me) than their were advanced group riders.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Trailer time!! Lonedog, I am over in Asbury. (by Washington)
Yeah thats the other thing, i dont have a trailer. I guess that will be even more reason to finally buy one. Again depending on money depends on how tight it is, so hopefully i will be able to do at least one track day this season. By the way whos going to the javitz center this weekend?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Our ART level 1 class (www.teampromotion.com) is aimed at customers like you who want to ride the track for the first time. I teach that class and I was the coach who made all the videos of the members from this forum on that trackday at NJMP last summer. We are working to setup another day with you gals/guys. I spoke with Tapcon at the show last night and he asked if I could work the private day for you guys and make some more videos. I look forward to seeing you all out there

Robert Mitchell
TPM Coach #85

1 - 15 of 15 Posts