Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody I'm going to the track this spring/summer as often as I can and because I'm new to it all I know I need the proper gear, basically all that I don't have is a gauntlet style glove and boots. I'm not sure where to even look when it comes to either just because I've never looked into either and I'm assuming the more you spend the better product you get and because I'm just starting out at trackdays I'd like to get a good pair of gloves and boots, but that isn't the cheapest things to buy.

So basically what I'm asking is what are a few good pair of boots and gloves that i can look into without quite spending top dollar?? Thank You.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Well If I were you, I would look at our classifieds or (craigslist) if you want to buy some used gear.
My Opinion buy New.
Boots-- Buy what is the most comfortable. I own a pair of the Sidis Vertigo Air. I spent just under 300 but they are the most comfortable boots I have owned or worn. Plus they have great feeling in the shifter and brake.

Gloves--You will want a full Gauntlet since you will need a 1 piece suit. When it comes to gloves buy what fits best and gives you the best feel on the bars. A-Star, HELD, Dainese...etc Also break them in first before you head to the track same goes with boots.

Suits-- I honestly couldn't tell you because I don't know enough about them. You have choices between cow hide, Kangaroo, all are usually around 1.3-1.4 thickness

Helmet--- Get a DOT and SNELL approved helmet, with tear offs on the face shield.

Bike-- Find out the rules for your track and make sure it can pass Tech.

ALSO LOOK AT HTTP://SPORTBIKETRACKGEAR.COM
Brian is an avid memeber on here and has a great site and he could get you everything you need to get on the track.

Good Luck
Hello everybody I'm going to the track this spring/summer as often as I can and because I'm new to it all I know I need the proper gear, basically all that I don't have is a gauntlet style glove and boots. I'm not sure where to even look when it comes to either just because I've never looked into either and I'm assuming the more you spend the better product you get and because I'm just starting out at trackdays I'd like to get a good pair of gloves and boots, but that isn't the cheapest things to buy.

So basically what I'm asking is what are a few good pair of boots and gloves that i can look into without quite spending top dollar?? Thank You.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Watch NESBA's web site, they sell used rental gear at some pretty good prices. I bought an Alpinestars race suit for 50 cents on the dollar. It had either never been worn, or was only used once or twice. It looked brand new.

+1 for Sportbike Track gear. They have treated me well over the years.

Going to the track is expensive. You will crash. If finances are tight to just buy gear, you might want to give some serious thought to not going. I'm not trying to insult you. I have seen people go to the track and total bikes they were still paying for.... not a good plan. Buy the best gear you can afford. I've had one major get off at the track (high speed high-side) and I walked away. Here is what I wear:

Scorpion 700 series helmet, Alpinestars one piece race suit, Knox back protector, Held Phantom gloves, Alpinestars boots. Wearing a mouth piece is also not a bad thing to do.

Walking away from a crash requires some luck and good gear. It is priceless.

Welcome to the addiction!

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
Good to hear you want to try the track. As for "you will crash", yes there is a possibility.. but I wouldn't go as far as saying you will definitely crash, the key is just to keep a level head and know your limits and the bike's limits.

These are the gauntlet gloves I have, except I paid $120! Damn STT and your awesome discounts! :duh:
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=2113

Both my 1 piece suit and boots are from AGV, very good for the low budget people like myself but they still offer very good protection.

My helmet is a Shoei RF1000, very good helmet both DOT and Snell approved.

And recently just got a Knox back protector from Santa, very slim and very tough, yet comfortable.

Good luck with your first day, just take it easy and relax. :thumbup:

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you're on a budget and don't mind other people's cooties, buy used. I've gotten a lot of used suits in varying condition for more than 50% off retail price. I've gotten solid suits for less than $200. My current suit retailed for $1300, found it in good shape for $450 used. People are often selling boots and gloves for cheap too.

what gear is right for you depends on the fit, and your budget.

check craigslist or the WERA forums for used gear.

for new gear, I go to sportbiketrackgear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts