Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
BOTM Marshall
3,511 Posts
If its enacted, it won't last a year. the problem is the word "reasonable"
What is reasonbale to you, isn't reasonable to the officer sitting down the street.

I agree with the spirit of the law, but it needs a definite time attached.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
If its enacted, it won't last a year. the problem is the word "reasonable"
What is reasonbale to you, isn't reasonable to the officer sitting down the street.

I agree with the spirit of the law, but it needs a definite time attached.
That's exactly right. In Idaho you can run it after the light has cycled a full cycle and not noticed you. That being said, you can only do it safely and like you say; that's all discretionary. There's always a gray area.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I believe Wisconsin hassuch a law already. If the light cycles once, you're free to go with caution. I haven't had to use it yet, but I know what intersections I don't get recognized at.

·
Registered
197 Posts
hmmm, I don't know if Florida has a light cycle law, but I run it after one cycle. This is usually like 4 am when no other cars are around (normally during daylight lights are sensing all the cars around and cycles all lights normally).

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
hmmm, I don't know if Florida has a light cycle law, but I run it after one cycle. This is usually like 4 am when no other cars are around (normally during daylight lights are sensing all the cars around and cycles all lights normally).
that's when the popo is out. :laugh:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't really have this problem here but this seems like an ignorant idea. By nature most motorcyclists are already risk takers so giving them freedom to run red lights at "their own discretion" sounds like a sketchy idea, but that's just my opinion and I'm sure I'm in the minority.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
PLEASE pass this in CA...I dont know how many lights have cycled past me...its usually the lights on "not-so-main streets."
You guys already have too many motorcycle laws/bills passed. :laugh: I agree with the full cycle and then go. I have had to do that once or twice while in PA riding around.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Don't really have this problem here but this seems like an ignorant idea. By nature most motorcyclists are already risk takers so giving them freedom to run red lights at "their own discretion" sounds like a sketchy idea, but that's just my opinion and I'm sure I'm in the minority.
They're already forced to do it anyway... And you take a risk getting up in the morning.

Full cycle is what it should be, but just how hard is it to calibrate sensors properly ? :whistle:

·
BOTM Marshall
3,511 Posts
Full cycle is what it should be, but just how hard is it to calibrate sensors properly ? :whistle:
The sensors are actuated by interference with a magnetic field.
Our nearly all aluminum sportbikes won't cause a disruption in said field.

·
Registered
121 Posts
+1 The ones that usually give us trouble on the bikes are the type that use an inductive loop (a coil of wire embedded in the road ... those big rectangular lines cut in the road where you stop). Even a steel framed bike usually isn't enough to cause the necessary change in inductance to trigger the light.

I'm not sure if MS has an official law on the books (though I seem to recall one being mentioned in our MSF course), but I've done the full-cycle-and-go before. I've also been stuck at a light on a highway (I was on an intersecting road) where the light remains green indefinitely for highway traffic until it senses a car waiting on the cross street. I just gave it a reasonable amount of time - probably between 1 and 2 minutes - and looked for a safe gap in traffic. I've also applied this in the presence of city police. I think you'll find that if you really are reasonable and not just antsy, most any LEO will never say a word to you ... law or no law.

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
Yeah Kansas is a funny state and I find it weird what motorcycle laws they have and then lack of laws they have for bikers considering they are heavy on the whole seatbelt thing, but wearing a helmet is all based on how smart of a rider you are I guess.

I never really have problems with lights around here. Most lights around here where I live which is downtown KC they are all on timer switches so I rarely have the problem, but I would probably go after a cycle and no traffic around.

·
Registered
36 Posts
They're already forced to do it anyway... And you take a risk getting up in the morning.

I was thinking I should stay in bed today anyways :grin:

That was my point, come up with an alternative to people running red lights i.e., calibrating sensors, installing cameras, putting on a timer,etc.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The composition of metal actually has very little to no impact on the sensor, only the amount of it.

Any current flowing through a metal will cause a magnetic field, and visa versa (a moving magnetic field will cause a current in any nearby metal, which in turn produces an opposing magnetic field!). Its a simple size issue, and how close you are to the sensor.

I also always pull up farther if the light does not trigger, to encourage any cars behind me to get as close to the sensor as possible.

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
Right! But also the location of the interfering object matters as well. You have a better chance of disrupting the field on the edges rather then right in the center.
My dad always told me to just put the kickstand down on one of the sensor lines. Never tried it, but I would imagine just being closer to the sensor helps.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Maybe getting the alternator to turn faster would work ^^ Or a burn-out ? :rofl2:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.