Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I'm a newbie living in the biker's paradise of SW Virginia. I currently ride an SV 1000s, but I'm considering selling it to buy a used Daytona 675. I'm looking to get something lighter and more nimble, and the 3-cylinder design appeals to my v-twin sensibilities.

Anything in particular to look out for on a used Daytona?

From reading the forum, it appears the RR is about the only thing that consistently goes wrong with these bikes.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The only other thing that went wrong with any consistency was the cam chain tensioner (CCT) on the 06-08 bikes.

Listen for a whirring, buzzing, metallic sound between about 3-8k RPMs that most people say is heard best when the bike is cold and the engine is unloaded. Many people have fixed it already and it's not an expensive fix at that.

sassafras

·
Registered
260 Posts
welcome to the forum! you're right though, sw virginia has some great twisties....i'm planning a trip out there later this spring! some would say the exup valve is another common component that will give you trouble, but there's a couple good how-to's that will give you the option to take care of that should you feel the need.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I went from an '07 SV1000 to my current '07 675. You won't regret the change. The biggest difference is how small and light the 675 is compared the the SV, I loved my SV...but I like my 675 better!! Especially for the track (and twisties when is was still a street bike).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Is there a "major" service interval for the Daytona that's above and beyond the typical oil change, brake/clutch bleed, chain adjust, coolant change, etc.? I do all this routine stuff myself with the help of the service manual. In looking over the routine maintenance section of this forum, all this looks pretty straightforward on the Daytona.

For the SV1000 the first "major" service occurs at 15k miles, and it involves checking/adjusting the valve clearances along with the typical stuff.

Is there a similar major service interval on the Daytona?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Is there an easy way to detect a problem with the exup valve that you know of?
what sassafrass said. irregular power delivery could be another telltale sign, but the check engine light typically pops when the exup is screwed up. if you're going to keep it, probably the best thing you can do is keep everything greased and cleaned real well down there, and the cables adjusted correctly (not difficult but kind of a pain)....if you do disable it by taking the actuating cable off the valve, the consensus seems to be leave the servo plugged in and just disconnect the cable so as not to pop the CEL, while using a program such as tunecu to disable the valve electronically. in the case of disabling, the consensus again seems to be that it will also need a custom tune.

there's a couple really good threads discussing the exup issue, just do a search and you'll find good information to bring you up to speed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I sold my SV1000 yesterday, so now I'm officially looking for either a Daytona or a Street Triple R. Looking for a bike is so much more fun than selling one!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.