Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam but I am gathering parts for the 12k winter service and next on the list is the chain and sprockets.

STG has the Driven sprockets and the EK MVXZ chain for 189 and that seems about fair to me but I can't really find much info on the longevity of the Driven sprockets.

I have read a lot about the Stealth rear sprocket with the steel teeth but that is giving me fits to locate. My other thought is to get a Renthal sprocket set but again that is giving me fits to locate online. From what I gather any Parts Unlimited dealer can get me a set from the catalog but I was at my dealer and he couldn't find them in his manual. I have the part numbers now from Renthal so I can take them to him.

My question is, is there a huge difference between Driven and Renthal sprockets to justify spending more money by not buying as a kit? or will I be good with the Driven set?

I only ride street with maybe a novice track day this summer. I plan on doing either -1/+2 or stock/+2. Haven't decided but I am leaning towards -1/+2 because I'm a big guy at 260 and will never touch the 160ish top speed.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
I had that same Driven kit on my bike and loved it. The sprockets showed no premature wear. $189 is a good deal too, I'd go with STG.

·
Registered
712 Posts
if your only mainly street i would do the -1, +2 on the sprockets. if you have to replace it all drop down to a 520 on the setup. i did a cheap pmp front and rear sprocket with a gold did chain. more than impressive with the setup i have. the sprockets dont matter much unless your looking for looks. just make sure you get a good chain. i paid maybe 150 for my entire setup and im more than happy.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
heres a picture of my rear sprocket and i think it looks damn good for the price i paid.
That's the pitbull sprocket. Does look good on the bike now that I see it.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Sidewinder Sprockets Done & DONE! http://sidewindersprockets.com/v-series_smart_chain.html

heres mine they will powdercoat for you for a small fee -1/+2 setup 14,000 pound chain

Check out their youtube channel

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXH9TKLLTSM"]YouTube - CUSTOM SPROCKET VIDEO[/nomedia]

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam but I am gathering parts for the 12k winter service and next on the list is the chain and sprockets.

STG has the Driven sprockets and the EK MVXZ chain for 189 and that seems about fair to me but I can't really find much info on the longevity of the Driven sprockets.

I have read a lot about the Stealth rear sprocket with the steel teeth but that is giving me fits to locate. My other thought is to get a Renthal sprocket set but again that is giving me fits to locate online. From what I gather any Parts Unlimited dealer can get me a set from the catalog but I was at my dealer and he couldn't find them in his manual. I have the part numbers now from Renthal so I can take them to him.

My question is, is there a huge difference between Driven and Renthal sprockets to justify spending more money by not buying as a kit? or will I be good with the Driven set?

I only ride street with maybe a novice track day this summer. I plan on doing either -1/+2 or stock/+2. Haven't decided but I am leaning towards -1/+2 because I'm a big guy at 260 and will never touch the 160ish top speed.

Thoughts?
I have customers with more than 40K miles on our 7075-T6 rear sprockets...if maintained properly (lubed regularly, kept in adjustment, etc) they will last a LONG time. A full 7075-T6 billet sprocket will always be the LIGHTEST option.

If you want the increased life of steel, but at reduced weight, you can go with our EVO-Spec lightened steel sprockets in 520 pitch with a strong chain like EK's MVXZ or ZZZ. This would be my recommendation if you are hard on the bike exiting corners and/or wheelie it quite often, considering your weight (No poke there, I'm a bit bigger than you :nod: ).

This sprocket is on the left in the photo below.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
heres a picture of my rear sprocket and i think it looks damn good for the price i paid.
You are correct sir. That is not the Pit Bull sprocket. Looks very close though.

Qweesy how much did you pay for your setup if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took a ride out to STG yesterday and got the pitbull 520 conversion with a DID ER3 chain for 211 out the door. Pretty good deal if you ask me. I went 0/+2 combo and will see how I like it and if not enough get up and go I'll drop 1 in the front. STG seems to think the pitbull sprockets are really top notch, it's American made which is a plus for me. Same aluminum as the driven sprocket but cheaper and hard anodized. Only comes in black which I kind of wanted gold but now that the wheels will be gold I will like the black much more.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I took a ride out to STG yesterday and got the pitbull 520 conversion with a DID ER3 chain for 211 out the door. Pretty good deal if you ask me. I went 0/+2 combo and will see how I like it and if not enough get up and go I'll drop 1 in the front. STG seems to think the pitbull sprockets are really top notch, it's American made which is a plus for me. Same aluminum as the driven sprocket but cheaper and hard anodized. Only comes in black which I kind of wanted gold but now that the wheels will be gold I will like the black much more.
Can you post pics when you powdercoat your wheels please? I have the same color as you and have been thinking of powdercoating the wheels gold.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will post pics, head over the the general forum though as hokie made me a pic in the official photshop thread. Looks amazing, and Adan posted the pic of a member that has already done this mod so you can see it in real life. Dropping the wheels off in the morning to get coated.

·
Registered
171 Posts
+1 for Pitbull sprockets. Been racing with them for years and they hold up well. (plus Pitbull supports & engages with the club-level racing community, which is cool!) I've heard that it's inadvisable to drop teeth on the front as it can cause binding/loss of power/wear. stock/+ works great for me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
+1 for Pitbull sprockets. Been racing with them for years and they hold up well. (plus Pitbull supports & engages with the club-level racing community, which is cool!) I've heard that it's inadvisable to drop teeth on the front as it can cause binding/loss of power/wear. stock/+ works great for me.
I agree, Always go up in the rear. I didnt like the feel when i dropped a tooth in the front on my r6

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Is this the same chain and sprocket that just broke on you? Just wondering.
the master link broke that's all,shit happens sometimes I still would buy this product I just think I will use a rivet style master from now on instead of clip style...... Sprockets are not damaged at all.

The chances of this happening could be with any chain, The reason my output shaft sheered off is because the chain got stopped up on the rizoma front cover, If I had the stock style sprocket cover the chain probably would have just rolled out underneath the bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts