Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've browsed the forums for quite some time, but this is my first post.

So I've finally decided that I am going to purchase either a 2010 or 2011 Street Triple R. :thumbup:

I have also just sold my last car. After purchasing the striple, I will have at most $10,000 for buying a car for long trips / winter / bad weather conditions.

I've browsed auto trader for quite some time searching for cars and I have seen quite a few cars that I would consider purchasing, although I am weary of the mileage / condition of these cars.

So I have a few questions:

1. What is your second vehicle? (if you have one)

2. Would you prefer high mileage / high quality car (say a BMW at 90k miles) or a low mileage / lower quality car (say <40k miles for a honda civic) *Not trying to bash civics or anything, I just think that some may consider BMW to have higher quality?

3. From personal experience, is there any make / model car you would recommend?

Things to note:
1. I am not too concerned about MPG as long as its not ridiculously low (like under 12 MPG)

2. Model / Body Style is not a concern. I am also considering SUVs or Trucks

3. $10,000 is the limit, but cheaper is always better as long as the car is reasonably reliable (for long trips)

Thanks for your opinions and I am extremely excited for a new Triumph! :cool:

p.s. Hope I posted in the right place..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Jeep Grand Cherokee 93-04 with 4.0L. They get like 18 mpg highway. Solid axles and an inline six cylinder makes it flat out the easiest and cheapest vehicle to work on. it's simplicity is what makes it so durable, and since there are so many they are usually pretty cheap (which also means cheaper insurance). I have 260,000mi on mine, and my bro has 210,000mi on his.

plus it can snow like 2 feet and you can still go anywhere you want. parts wise the thing is essentially a faster tractor

·
Registered
509 Posts
I rock a 06 4runner great vehicle, add a cheap trailer and you need nothing else.

·
Banned
941 Posts
My cager is an Acura TSX (European Accord) that i have a love/hate relationship with. Purchased new in 2004.

It's an automatic transmission 4 cylinder 4-door sedan which really keeps me in check in regards to speeding. I don't feel the need to go fast in it and have not gotten in a single accident and only one speeding ticket (long distance trip on an empty highway). I like that it looks somewhat classy so I don't feel odd taking it to valet service at a nice restaurant, but it's not that douchey where I'd feel weird in a drive-thru at McDonalds. Cheap car, cheap insurance....not too much to complain about except that I kind of wish I had a truck for track days. I sometimes wish I had a faster car, but I always reason that I have enough power/weight ratio in my striple to satisfy that need.

It's blue book price now is around 10K, so it might be in your price range.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I've never owned a BMW that had 90k on the clock but if $$$ are an issue it's not the brightest idea I've ever heard of. If $$$ are not an issue then buy a new one and get complimentary maintenance free for 4 years... Just my 0.02..

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
The BM thing depends in part on what model you get, and whether you twirl your own spanners.

The more common models are easy to work on, and there are just so many out there these days that the parts actually aren't very expensive. In my experience, they're reliable, too. So a BM can be a good choice ... depending on which model you buy.

Don't get too carried away with legendary German quality or any such thing though ... plenty of them are bolted together these days in places like South Africa, rather than back in the fatherland.

I drive a BM and I'm very happy with it, but I'm lucky enough to also have a 4WD. If I was limited to just one car, it would be a 'do everything' 4WD ... you just can't beat the toughness, space, versatility and towing capability.

My 2 cents. (Now officially on parity with US 2 cents!)

O.B

·
Registered
165 Posts
Kind of off topic but I'd choose a Honda over a BMW for reliability. In my opinion and experience Honda's are bulletproof. I've had a Honda bike, car, lawnmower and string trimmer and have not had a single problem with any.

In the recent Top Gear christmas special they had a BMW, Fiat and Mazda around the same price range and the BMW was the least reliable whilst being the most expensive.

Personally, if I was after a reliable car I'd choose a late model Hyundai (2007+) or any Honda.

·
Registered
208 Posts
2003 Toyota 4Runner. It just turned 279,000 miles today.:notworthy:

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I love my 2005 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab...Off Road Package with 2 wheel drive=18-20mpg on the highway hauling a bike or two....Plus you can pull out the passenger seat and have room to sleep. I'm cheap and if I'm only off the road for 6 hours I see no reason to get a hotel.

I also have an everyday beater-135,000 mile 2000 Infiniti I30t--Gets 25mpg and keeps me from putting miles on my truck. Got it from a buddy for $1,000-Replaced radiator fans, two motor mounts, tranny service, and a massive cleaning, and recharged the AC-Did all the work myself. Had it for 1.5 years and no issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Don't know how different the market is down under but in the US both BMW parts (new or used) will cost you more. Even regular maint stuff costs more (significantly so at times) - down to the little crap like oil filters.
If you need someone to wrench on the thing dealership service will cost more than for Honda, etc. as well. Most corner service stations don't want to touch anything other than US/Japanese stuff with the possible exception of VW.
My ownership experience with BMW goes back to 95 and lasts to now though it is limited to M3's (which are astronomically more expensive to maintain that regular BMW's). I have spent a lot of time wrenching on my cars and on friends BMW/s over the years e30/36/46/90/92, etc. Nothing about BMW state side is cheap even if they are made in the Carolinas.
Something Japanese with 40k on the clock is basically just broken in - a BMW, Benz, Audi, etc. with 90k on the clock is a whole different proposition.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I'd stay away from Euro stuff if money is an issue. And frankly, I'd rather have a 120k honda than a 90k BMW. Much better reliability.

And to whoever said tacoma for $10k. Not if you don't want really high miles. Tacomas are way overpriced.

How about just spending like $6k and use the rest for trackdays/gear/mods for the bike? You live in texas. You don't need some super duty truck or SUV. Just something with a roof that's reliable. And you don't need a truck to haul the bike. Put a tow hitch on a car and get a $300 trailer. Lower to the ground anyways, which makes it easier.

That being said, I have a 2000 Chevy S-10. It's a 4cyl, 5 speed, 2wd. I get 25mpg on the highway, 23 with a bike in the back.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I'd buy a van. It's secure for the bike, a motel for trackdays and vacations, will hold all your crap, and they're plentiful under $10K. If I had to do it over again, I'd have never bought my pickup.

Another option is big wagons. Mercedes E320s are reliable and affordable. Likewise, Volvos (960/V70). BMW, Accord, and Camry wagons aren't big enough to sleep in. Search eBay. You'd have to buy a trailer, though. Which is one more thing to store.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It depends on what you mean by "quality."

If you're talking about a car that requires very little maintenance and will rarely break down then the Honda is your best bet.

If you're talking about a car's "finish" quality (i.e. aesthetics and what have you) the BMW is clearly the obvious winner.

Just remember that Honda's are way cheaper to maintain and parts are super duper cheap compared to BMW.

Just my .02

·
Registered
832 Posts
I drive a Bimmer, and so does pretty much everyone else in Southern California. It's a great car and because they are so common around here, it's not really too flashy. I have never paid a penny for maintenance. My niece will be inherit it when she graduates from high school and I am going to look for an old Jeep Wrangler. No particular reason other than I feel like driving one again.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I'm not exactly sure you'd want my garage...

:whistle:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Car?
Dangerous things, you'll never get trapped in a burning bike&#8230;
Buy another bike and have two, twice the reliability!
And look at the up sides, no one asks you for lifts or to help them move crap.
Parking is never a hassle.
Cheaper to run.
Only 15 away from anywhere.
And if you only get the bike you now have 10k to spend on important things like winter gear, carbon fibre bits, go fast parts and alcohol.

But yea, if you must get one I'd get the Honda.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts