Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 08 675 daytona took a shot to the radiator back in november. i just got it fixed this week... brand new radiator, new tires, oil change etc. The battery i had in my bike would not charge, so i figured it was dead. i just bought a brand new one, charged it, installed it in my bike and it started right up.. i rode for a little while, turned the bike off, then tried to start it again and the engine would not turn. i recharged the battery and the bike started, but then wouldnt start the next time.. i jumped the bike and tested the battery with a volt reader, and when i gave my engine some gas to get the rpms up, the meter did not read any higher... does this mean my alternator is done? if so, where do i get a new one? i have been researching this for about an hour now and connot find anything. any suggestions??

·
Registered
200 Posts
Im not 100% sure but i know that it has to deal with the charge. I think the charge from the altenator goes to the regulator rectifier and then from there to the battery. I just got my bike out of the shop becuase mines went bad on my 09, but i had it under warrenty so it was free.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i will check it out. hopefully it's and easy fix because i just had new radiator installed and have really had nothing but problems with my 675.. performance is great, but just very dissapointed with all of the fixes i've had to do.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The same thing you described happened to me. I just had the whole charging system replaced on my 07. Warranty covered everything. It would of been expensive if it didnt.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If the voltage across your battery doesn't rise with the engine revs you have either a dead regulator or a dead alternator. You should see a reading of about 13.8 - 14.8Vdc at 4K rpm. If you see that voltage your charging circuit is probably OK

If it isn't, disconnect the regulator from the alternator. The plug has three thickish yellow wires. With the meter set to ac volts (not dc) and the engine running at around 4K rpm, measure across each pair of wires from the alternator - three wires makes three pairs, each wire to each of the others. On the alternator side of the connector the wires may be orange rather than yellow. Each pair should give an ac voltage - without the manual to hand I'm not sure of the value, I think about 40 - 50V, and all three pairs should read about the same. If any pair is giving a near zero reading you probably need a new stator. If all three pairs look OK you probably need a new regulator.

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts