Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 08 black 675 daytona with 5.5k miles on it! Now I just need to blow all my funds on cool shit for it! There are a couple things I know i want but if you guys have any suggestions please send them my way. The bike is going to be my main mode of transportation but also going to be used for the twisties and track days.

First thing I need is to make this thing louder for the street, I have a stage 1 arrow slip on but its just not loud enough for a all black bike on the street.

Levers: I really like the lightech folding levers but $300 is a bit much I think

Suspension: Steering dampeners, rear shock and front end

Other Cool Shit: suggestions?

·
Registered
412 Posts
rear shock replacement and sprung for your weight (or respring if you're broke, but a proper rear shock is highly recommended). I recommend Penske.
1050 throttle tube
good tires
drop forks flush w/ triples

those are the only things I can think of off the bat that really transformed the bike. Rear shock making the biggest difference.

·
Banned
941 Posts
Mods, please delete this post if it's in bad taste.

I know there are multiple sponsors on this forum, but I'd have to recommend TJ from Rider's Discount for your parts/gear/accessories. I can honestly say that the SHIPPED prices he has given me have been far lower than anything I can find online for the exact same products. He is also very knowledgeable and helpful with questions.

I'm not trying to say anything bad about other sponsors on this forum, but after dealing with TJ, I don't really see a need to go with anyone else.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rear shock replacement and sprung for your weight (or respring if you're broke, but a proper rear shock is highly recommended). I recommend Penske.
1050 throttle tube
good tires
drop forks flush w/ triples

those are the only things I can think of off the bat that really transformed the bike. Rear shock making the biggest difference.
Cool thanks alot, as far as the penske shock, how do the numbers work? What shock will be the best and were should i buy it? I saw a used one in the calssifieds, good or bad idea to buy used? any thoughts on steering dampeners?

Why.? That is the mentality that helped with the new "no modded exhaust" law.
My last bike was a white zx10r with full leo vince exhaust, and while it it was not rude loud, I never got cut off while riding. To have a nearly silent black bike is just a little too unseen for me.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Cool thanks alot, as far as the penske shock, how do the numbers work? What shock will be the best and were should i buy it? I saw a used one in the calssifieds, good or bad idea to buy used? any thoughts on steering dampeners?
Yea, the shock in the classifieds is a great deal, even if you need to get it refreshed. I believe the classified post also specifies that it will come with a spring appropriate for your weight. In terms of numbers, you want to get with a good suspension tuner who can adjust the shock to meet your needs. I could recommend you a local guy; feel free to PM me if you want his info.

·
(RIP) Wiser than you I was
5,852 Posts
First thing I need is to make this thing louder for the street,
Perfect. Loud = fast.

Why.? That is the mentality that helped with the new "no modded exhaust" law.
You'll have to forgive him. Probably 19 years old.

Mods, please delete this post if it's in bad taste.

I know there are multiple sponsors on this forum, but I'd have to recommend TJ from Rider's Discount for your parts/gear/accessories. I can honestly say that the SHIPPED prices he has given me have been far lower than anything I can find online for the exact same products. He is also very knowledgeable and helpful with questions.

I'm not trying to say anything bad about other sponsors on this forum, but after dealing with TJ, I don't really see a need to go with anyone else.
Nothing wrong with plugging a sponsor that you like.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Perfect. Loud = fast.

You'll have to forgive him. Probably 19 years old.
Where did he say loud = fast? He wants people to hear him since the bike isn't too visible, there is nothing wrong with that.

Any issue with people being 19? You were once, too. I'm 17. I don't like overly loud pipes. I run a Jardine RT-1 and it's plenty loud while still not being annoying.

I'm not trying to be a dick but there is no need to complain about something that makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Where did he say loud = fast? He wants people to hear him since the bike isn't too visible, there is nothing wrong with that.

Any issue with people being 19? You were once, too. I'm 17. I don't like overly loud pipes. I run a Jardine RT-1 and it's plenty loud while still not being annoying.

I'm not trying to be a dick but there is no need to complain about something that makes perfect sense.
for the record, I'm 20, so not too old but slip ons are pretty loud I think. I run stock exhaust, because when I chase down people in the twisties I don't like them to think I'm on some super race bike. But I digress: My MSF instructor showed me this

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/dangerous_motorcycle_safety_myths/index.html

"Myth 2: Loud Pipes Save Lives

Yeah, there are a few situations-like where you are right next to a driver with his window down who is about the to change lanes-where full-time noise-makers might help a driver notice you, but all that noise directed rearward doesn't do much in the most common and much more dangerous conflict where a car turns in front of you. Maybe it's the fatigue caused by the noise, maybe it's the attitudes of riders who insist on making annoying noise, or perhaps loud bikes annoy enough drivers to make them aggressive. Whatever the reason, the research shows that bikes with modified exhaust systems crash more frequently than those with stock pipes. If you really want to save lives, turn to a loud jacket or a bright helmet color, which have been proven to do the job. Or install a louder horn. Otherwise, just shut up."

OP, I think the only way to go significantly louder is to get a full system like gpr or arrow, or get one of those tiny cans like this: Another custom exhaust - Triumph675.Net Forums

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I don't like overly loud pipes. I run a Jardine RT-1
:biggrinjester:

No amount of loudness, sound or visual, will ever guarantee you won't get cut off.

Don't stay in people's dead angles too long, and always be paranoid. They are out to get you.

As for the mods, HIDs if you often ride at night (properly adjusted and not leaving your high beam on permanently *coughcough*)

Adjusting the clip-ons to a more humane position.

Gel seat (while not forgetting to move once in a while).

Setting up your suspension to suit you.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I never said loud pipes will stop you from getting cut off. But if ONE person hears me, and looks around and sees me, and that prevents them from hitting me/cutting me off, then it's worth it. White helmet, hi-viz jacket, HIDs, and a Stebel Nautilus go right along with it.

Plus the bike sounds much better with a slipon/full system and the power gains are nice.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
+1 on suspension.

get that sorted out first.

if you want a loud exhaust, get the shark. theres one for sale in the classifieds right now. i have it, and i think it sounds great. but like said before, dont depend on it to save your life. riding smart will save your life.

before you dump all your money in the bike, make sure your purchase proper gear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
+1 on suspension.

get that sorted out first.

if you want a loud exhaust, get the shark. theres one for sale in the classifieds right now. i have it, and i think it sounds great. but like said before, dont depend on it to save your life. riding smart will save your life.

before you dump all your money in the bike, make sure your purchase proper gear.
First thing I would do is get suspension adjusted, and get twinlight drive, but that's just me...
any thoughts on penske vs ohlins?? I agree on the gear, already got too much of it lol. Anyone want a brand new dainese sukoi 1pc?

I never said loud pipes will stop you from getting cut off. But if ONE person hears me, and looks around and sees me, and that prevents them from hitting me/cutting me off, then it's worth it. White helmet, hi-viz jacket, HIDs, and a Stebel Nautilus go right along with it.

Plus the bike sounds much better with a slipon/full system and the power gains are nice.
I have the arrow slip on but I'm thinking about selling it for the jardine

:biggrinjester:

No amount of loudness, sound or visual, will ever guarantee you won't get cut off.

Don't stay in people's dead angles too long, and always be paranoid. They are out to get you.

As for the mods, HIDs if you often ride at night (properly adjusted and not leaving your high beam on permanently *coughcough*)

Adjusting the clip-ons to a more humane position.

Gel seat (while not forgetting to move once in a while).

Setting up your suspension to suit you.
Yep by no means will I depend on the pipe. My desire for loudness is not for the " hey look at me!!" Factor, more for the "hey ****** can't you see me?!" Factor

·
Surfer of the lear
2,165 Posts
I'm another advocate of getting the suspension set up, some quality gear and a good set of tires.

There are a ton of threads on how people have modded their bikes. You need to decide if you're looking for bling or performance. You can drop an incredible amount of money in either direction. Keep in mind, if you plan on taking her to the track, you will most likely be going for performance.

As far as exhaust goes, I'm partial to the Arrow and Akra's.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Indeed it does, and a carbon heat guard that looks like the stock plastic one.

Like the sound but not the look
if you're in so cal....you're more than welcome to come down and see how the jardine sounds. i really like the look of the arrow over jardine so if you'd want to swap i'd be down to do that as well. :thumbup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Indeed it does, and a carbon heat guard that looks like the stock plastic one.

Like the sound but not the look
I've got a Carbon M5 that fills the back end nicely if you're interested. It has a couple hundered miles on it and is in flawless condition; i'll sell it for a great price shipping out of Las Vegas if you're interested!

Cheers,
Sprout

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.