Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been pulled over twice in my 5-6 years of driving, just gotten warnings and was going less than 10mph over the posted limit on the interstate (pulled over less than half a mile my second time from the spot of my first time lol). I do not drive recklessly, excessively speed, I signal literally 99% of the time because it pisses me off when people don't, and when I pass people I maintain my speed and don't speed up a ton unless I am in the left lane for too long because I hate people who just drive in the left lane.

Anyway, only pulled over in a cage. So I was going to work the other night and a guy went flying past me as I was going 68mph, I guess he was going about 80 from the rate he passed me. But going into a 55mph zone we run up on a cop (he stayed in the left lane for a while then got behind the cop). I decide I will just go about 60 like they both were and not worry about it, I wasn't late or anything. Well speed limit turns 60 again and we all speed back up. The car that passed me is going around 63, cop about 66mph I would say and I am cruise controlling at 68. I decide to get over and pass both of them, holding my speed, not flying by or anything.

Well it takes me a few miles to eventually pass the cop, then I get in front of him and don't think anything of it. About 15 seconds after that he hits his lights. I say to myself "Are you serious? Really? You are going to pull me over? Wow." He comes up to me asks me some questions, Do I know the speed limit? I say yes, 60. Asks me if I knew how fast I was going, I say yes, 68. He asks me for my license and asks my age and if I still live where it says on my license and of course I answer correctly. He gives me this speil about "How are you going to pass a marked car? bla bla bla" He even admitted to speeding a little since he was going 65.

I figured he just wanted to flash his badge at me when I saw the lights and the whole stop ended up taking less than 3 minutes. He didn't even put his hat on so I figured he was heading to work. I guess he was just hoping something was out of date or I didn't have a license.

Sorry about all of that junk up there but my question is: Why do I keep getting pulled over when I am probably one of the safest and most aware (of what I am doing and what others are doing) drivers on the road? Is it because I am not bowing down to them and slamming on my brakes when I see them? That is stupid because that is more likely to cause a wreck. I keep an eye on my speed all the time, I know the speed limits, I am not one of the ones flying down the highway not knowing how fast they are going.

I will see state troopers sitting on the side of the road, people fly by me all the time, they never get pulled over. I see no need to slow down since I am not even going close to the speed they are. I think that if they aren't going to pull them over there is no way they will pull me over.

Anyway, thanks for any insight you guys can give me

·
Registered
153 Posts
So I have been pulled over twice in my 5-6 years of driving,

Anyway, only pulled over in a cage.

Sorry about all of that junk up there but my question is: Why do I keep getting pulled over when I am probably one of the safest and most aware (of what I am doing and what others are doing) drivers on the road?
A. You say "5-6 years of driving." Does this mean your 21-23 or so? Consider yourself lucky it's only been twice. Most younger people do not drive as well as you.
B. If it's only been in a car, you're lucky again. The story goes that most cops are far less lenient to motorcycles than other vehicles.
C. You passed a cop car!! In the left lane! Going almost 10 over the speed limit! Good for you for just going for it, but I can't imagine what the cop was thinking, realizing how easy a pull-over would be to justify. If you didn't get a ticket, consider it a lesson learned. Don't pass cops. Don't worry about other drivers speeding around you. Just keep on trying to be safe, be polite when you get pulled over again, and don't admit to a cop you knew you were going 8 over and passed on purpose. :nod:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A. You say "5-6 years of driving." Does this mean your 21-23 or so? Consider yourself lucky it's only been twice. Most younger people do not drive as well as you.
B. If it's only been in a car, you're lucky again. The story goes that most cops are far less lenient to motorcycles than other vehicles.
C. You passed a cop car!! In the left lane! Going almost 10 over the speed limit! Good for you for just going for it, but I can't imagine what the cop was thinking, realizing how easy a pull-over would be to justify. If you didn't get a ticket, consider it a lesson learned. Don't pass cops. Don't worry about other drivers speeding around you. Just keep on trying to be safe, be polite when you get pulled over again, and don't admit to a cop you knew you were going 8 over and passed on purpose. :nod:
A) Yeah I know...unfortunately lol
B) Cops don't generally patrol the twisties here :grin:
C) I am just tired of people being "bitches" around cops here. I never see them doing their job when it needs to be done (they sit and talk to their buddies instead of pulling people over even when a string of cars going 80+ passes me) and I have been known to honk at cops in those situations. I think he didn't give me a ticket because I knew how fast I was going and I told him. Most people would probably say they didn't know and then he could just write a ticket up for however fast he wanted to say. Morals and integrity are high on my list, it is hard for me to respect those who are supposed to uphold the law but will not enforce those laws upon those which break laws to a greater extent. I understand what I did, I do not understand what is not done though. Respect is earned, not given. Not saying there is not some there for what they do, but there is little there for when they are on traffic duty. Hope I don't sound like too much of a "punk kid".

you probably should have just tuned the cruise to 60 and let the cop disappear.
He wasn't going anywhere, I think he just wanted to be at the head of everyone, thinking no one would pass him. I guess I will have to sit behind them now. But now that I think of it, that is the first maybe second cop that I have EVER seen on the highway around here not speeding along in the left lane.

·
Registered
153 Posts
IMO if the speed limit is 60, the cop was doing 65 and you passed him at 68, he should have pulled you over. the Cops here are FAR LESS leniant that there by the sounds of it, cops are able to pull us over for speeding if we are doing 5KM (about 3MPH) over the speed limit and on bikes as powerful as ours, it does not take much to go over that :sad5:

·
Registered
282 Posts
He wasn't going anywhere, I think he just wanted to be at the head of everyone, thinking no one would pass him. I guess I will have to sit behind them now. But now that I think of it, that is the first maybe second cop that I have EVER seen on the highway around here not speeding along in the left lane.
I am not a civilian cop but I am a cop in the military. I know the situation you were in, I have been there myself. I have followed MD State Troopers at 95mph but never passed and never bothered. I know most cops like to drive a little faster and when they do the best thing to do is not to pass them.

I too have seen people excessively speed by me and cops and nothing happens...I dont like it but there could be very simple and excusable reasons for that, there also might not.

Glad you didnt get ticketed!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Simple.

Catching the ones flying by would need effort.

Catching you is easy.

You're taking the blame for them.

Wake up :whistle:

·
Registered
62 Posts
C) I am just tired of people being "bitches" around cops here.

True story, man. I don't make it a habit by any means to pass a police officer, but if I am on the highway, going about 8 over like you and Ive been on cruise.. I will slowly pass them. Sure, there are the piercing eyes coming through the windows at me, ha, but I have enough knowledge of the traffic laws, point system and what not (I'm 24 and I've probably been pulled over more than 90% of drivers. All have been in a car, no bike stops yet) For example, in a 55mph zone or higher, you need to be 11mph or higher for points to be added to your ticket. Above 11 every 2-3mph or so, the points added increase. For a zone 50 or less, its 6mph over to be awarded points. (can't remember off the top of my head if there is another group for 35 and under limits) School zones, dont f*** with school zones, ha. (this is all in ohio btw)

It is annoying when traffic becomes all bunched up because an officer is doing the exact speed limit and no one will pull the trigger to make the pass.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think it really just depends on the cop, the day, and the situation. I know I've had my fair share of getting pulled over. Thankfully, I can talk my way out of them usually and get a warning. I've only been pulled over on a bike once and it was for making a U-turn when I wasn't supposed to.

·
Registered
425 Posts
In some states like nj its illegal to pass in the right lane. I did the same thing as you a few years ago, cop let me go but made sure i was aware you are not allowed to pass on the right. Dont know what the rules are by you.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Yea this thread is a bit silly.

I will say, I hate when people go below the speed limit around cops. If a cop is going 55 in a 60 in the right lane it is OK to pass him going 60 in the left lane...I swear people even get jumpy around cars that sorta look like Crown Vics.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I have observed that cops tend to feel threatened and accelerate when I'm behind, so I just cruise and wait until they go away.

I have once overtaken a LEO car over the speed limit, but it was at night, I was going, er, at my usual pace, saw a car, slowed down a bit, saw the markings, then slowed like hell, but as I had indicated, and didn't them to see really obvious signe of braking, I got by, at a more leisurely pace, and they gave me no trouble, but I was damn lucky.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I passed an unmarked mustang gt going 94mph, he was probably going 90 or so. It was a cop....Anyways got a ticket for 24 over, he was nice actually. Then I said jokingly "you were going quite fast yourself officer" and he said "I'm a police officer". lol ok cool

Anyways the other day driving on the highway in Vegas, going with the flow, about 75mph, I see a dot in my rear view mirror, cruising in the emergency lane. Dot quickly gets bigger and a bike flies by (gsxr i believe) in the emegency lane, doubled our speed, probably 140mph. And a little further up, there's a trooper sitting in the emergency lane under a bridge. Bike doesn't slow down at all, passes by in the little space that is left bewteen the trooper and the traffic lane. I got excited and expected a chase, but trooper didn't move, and when I passed him I looked inside and he wasn't on the radio or anything. I wonder if he ever even saw him lol

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I passed an unmarked mustang gt going 94mph, he was probably going 90 or so. It was a cop....Anyways got a ticket for 24 over, he was nice actually. Then I said jokingly "you were going quite fast yourself officer" and he said "I'm a police officer". lol ok cool

Anyways the other day driving on the highway in Vegas, going with the flow, about 75mph, I see a dot in my rear view mirror, cruising in the emergency lane. Dot quickly gets bigger and a bike flies by (gsxr i believe) in the emegency lane, doubled our speed, probably 140mph. And a little further up, there's a trooper sitting in the emergency lane under a bridge. Bike doesn't slow down at all, passes by in the little space that is left bewteen the trooper and the traffic lane. I got excited and expected a chase, but trooper didn't move, and when I passed him I looked inside and he wasn't on the radio or anything. I wonder if he ever even saw him lol
He might have radioed ahead. I'm not a cop, but the idea of trying to catch a bike that is going 140+ from a dead stand still seems pointless, and also dangerous in traffic.

·
Registered
304 Posts
He might have radioed ahead. I'm not a cop, but the idea of trying to catch a bike that is going 140+ from a dead stand still seems pointless, and also dangerous in traffic.
Yea probably did, but even then, seems almost impossible to get him. If he just takes the next exit he's gone, although I never tried it to confirm this theory.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts

Yeah, pursuits with motorcycles are pointless. Hopefully he crashed later. Thats just stupid and I have absolutely no sympathy for him. It's possible he didn't even see him though. Lots of departments have policies in place forbidding pursuits with motorcycles. But usually most cops will initiate and at least try to get them stopped. Depends on the patrol car but a crown vic would never catch a bike at 140+ Charger with a hemi, maybe. Worth trying? Probably not.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I pass the popo all the time and as we pass we just stare at each other, maybe a nod. those people who slow down and dont want to pass the cop WTF! idiots...... Ive been stopped SOOOOOO many times over 50 times in the past 10 years I don't get jittery and panic like most people when they see /hear the red and blues, I look in my mirror and say "fuck man not again"...... i fight all my tickets and have only paid about 6-7 of them all crooked small towns.......

and PAY CASH if you end up not getting it dismissed the city or county will keep it for themselves and throw your ticket in the trash (most of the time), if you pay with a paper trail :IE money order or credit card they have to send it into the state and the state gets 70% of the fine but if you pay cash the crooked fucks keep it for themselves and the judges vacation fund.

damn I have traffic court tonight at 5:30.

this is the proper way to pull over

http://www.rocktube.us/2y2chrAuuix/Fear_amp_loathing_in_LA_cop_chase.html

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I pass the popo all the time and as we pass we just stare at each other, maybe a nod. those people who slow down and dont want to pass the cop WTF! idiots...... Ive been stopped SOOOOOO many times over 50 times in the past 10 years I don't get jittery and panic like most people when they see /hear the red and blues, I look in my mirror and say "fuck man not again"...... i fight all my tickets and have only paid about 6-7 of them all crooked small towns.......

and PAY CASH if you end up not getting it dismissed the city or county will keep it for themselves and throw your ticket in the trash (most of the time), if you pay with a paper trail :IE money order or credit card they have to send it into the state and the state gets 70% of the fine but if you pay cash the crooked fucks keep it for themselves and the judges vacation fund.

damn I have traffic court tonight at 5:30.

this is the proper way to pull over

http://www.rocktube.us/2y2chrAuuix/Fear_amp_loathing_in_LA_cop_chase.html
Haha, you kill me man. You must live in Gotham or something. :laugh:

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
I pass the popo all the time and as we pass we just stare at each other, maybe a nod. those people who slow down and dont want to pass the cop WTF! idiots...... Ive been stopped SOOOOOO many times over 50 times in the past 10 years ...
Seriously ... what the hell are you doing? I've been pulled over just a handful of times in my whole life, and yeah, I speed, but I just try to blend in and keep a low profile.

I've only ever paid a couple of tickets, because I either just do the humble look-at-my-shoes thing, or if I think he's a soft target, I make the cop laugh. Cops around here never give you tickets if you give 'em a laugh.

50 times? Seriously? In 10 years? Do you wear a neon pink jacket with "F**k the police" emblazoned across the back? Good grief.

O.B

1 - 20 of 35 Posts