Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my first attempt at making my own superbike seat. I used 1/8" and 1/4" foam from here and all-purpose spray glue from Home Depot. I also used some fancy loctite 401 instant adhesive to hold the edges of the foam down. The vinyl isnt any thing special, it was 7 bucks for about 5'x2'. In the end it was $30 out of pocket with enough foam, glue and vinyl for a complete 2nd try.

Overall It is a little bumpy but if you're on a budget it will work perfectly since the bumps aren't bad and you can resurface your seat from a 48" x 72" x 1/4" sheet of foam for $12 (for example). If any one attempts this or something similar feel free to post up results. I am curious to what others have done. I could see some one just shaving down the stock seat to do the same thing… Either way I know mine is a crude first attempt but I'm looking forward to see how mine holds up at the track.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had done the same with my last track bike and found that the sides lifted from the base as I slid around the seat. I then used duck tape to hold the sides down and that resulted in lifting the tape edges. The final solution was to staple on some fake leather, worked great after that with no more issues !

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Very good to know, My idea was to use duct tape but your saying that didn't work? I guess I'll staple the seat over back on or similar material. When you covered it in vinyl you removed the tape right?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Very good to know, My idea was to use duct tape but your saying that didn't work? I guess I'll staple the seat over back on or similar material. When you covered it in vinyl you removed the tape right?
The duct taped just started rolling up on the edges and progressively got worst . Ended up cutting off or recovering the tape with more duct tape. When I went to cover the whole seat in vinyl tried too remove it but it was just tearing the pad so I left it where it was and just covered it all was not prefect but worked, Good luck on your project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts