Triumph 675 Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Sorry to hear you've spanked yourself up. Get well soon.

Had to comment as your bike has experienced the same issues mine had.

Mine was also a 2006 model and I had the temp sensor fail and the temp gauge show a couple of bars when clearly it was very hot from riding on track. I had it happen twice. Once was the ambient temperature gauge in the airbox the other time the temp sensor on the back of the cylinder block. It also had the effect of telling the ECU the bike was running cold and so it made the mixture richer. Consequently under about 8,000rom it ran rough and was jerky on the throttle exiting corners. Not nice.

The radiator fluid boiling over may not be connected with the temp sensor though. I had this also, in fact it's a common problem on these bikes from what I've read on here, and the general consensus is that there is air in the coolant. I made a small discovery when replacing the temp sensor on the cylinder block. Whilst everything was apart I took out the thermostat and checked it worked ok by putting it in boiling water. All OK. However whist it was apart I ordered a new one to replace it, just in case. When I got the new one it was identical to the OE one (same manufacturer) except for one small detail. There is a small 2 to 3mm bleed hole. On the OE one there is a ball bearing in the hole, but the new one did not have this ball bearing, just the hole.

My theory is that this ball bearing sticks when you refill the coolant and traps some air. You do have to ask why the replacement had no ball bearing. Anyway if you are ever in that area again I'd suggest removing the ball bearing. Once I did this I never had issues with air in the coolant. I think I posted a thread about it some time ago.
Thanks for the kind wishes!

After I replaced the coolant temp sensor I never had a problem. Normally once I enter the pits the temp gauge goes up to 6 bars from 5. Fan kicks on sometime after that. During the time this was happening to me, the gauge would sit at 5 until the coolant started to boil over, and it was violent, not like a little air burping out of the system. It blew the cap off my overflow tank! Anyways, once I replaced the sensor, the bike will hit 6 bars after idling and the fan will come on. I've never seen it go past 6 bars since, or spit up any coolant. If I ever need to replace the t-stat that bearing will come out though, thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I must chime in here and say that those track day photos are mint. The photographer is a genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
I must chime in here and say that those track day photos are mint. The photographer is a genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah the guy that shoots at Chuckwalla really knows what he's doing, thanks!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
the gauge would sit at 5 until the coolant started to boil over, and it was violent, not like a little air burping out of the system. It blew the cap off my overflow tank!
I had that happen at Le Mans. Luckily I'd just got off the bike and moved away from it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I had that happen at Le Mans. Luckily I'd just got off the bike and moved away from it.
Yeah it got messy. I hopped off before my leathers could get wet and it all settled down a few seconds after I killed the bike. My track bellypan caught a lot of the spray.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well, parts have started arriving! Waiting on a new handlebar tube and once that goes on she'll be ready for a ride! I'm hoping I will be too in another week or so.

In the meantime, here are some photos from my track day last December doing the New Racers School. 45+mph winds most of the day created a lengthy sandstorm and very poor visibility. Most difficult conditions I've ever ridden in.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Bike is back together in street mode. Rode her around last week against doctor's orders and she rides just as good as ever. Also had my roommate take a short ride to see if he could feel anything off and he came back like, "wow I forgot how amazing your bike handles." He has a ZX6R. 😏 She is currently sitting in my garage on the tender. I'm considering draining the oil and coolant and putting some fuel stabilizer in the tank because I won't be riding for a while still.

I learned that I have bone bruises on the femoral condyle of my femur and the femoral plateau of my tibia after an MRI. For those unaware, a "bone bruise" is a series of small hairline fractures in the bone. They're so small that an X-ray didn't pick them up. However, there are a lot of them, so the orthopedist estimated 6-8 more weeks from the time he saw me until the fractures have healed. I've started physical therapy and will make a full recovery. However, I probably won't really be riding again until late July or early August because I will need more PT to get enough strength back in my leg to support my weight while it's bent. I've made great progress though and have been walking normally for about two and a half weeks now. The foot has healed up pretty well along with everything else. I'm hoping things go smoothly and as long as I can swing it financially I'll be back on track in the fall, just need to buy a new race helmet, suit and fix my track fairings. Luckily, I have a lot of time to do all this.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Bummer about the additional fractures :(. On the upside, summer is here and Chuck will be too hot to ride soon. I just went out to Chuckwalla myself this past weekend; rode a buddy's R6 racebike. Good times!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Nice to hear you're on the mend. Take it easy with the comeback. Don't push it. I used to do track a field and did plenty of soft tissue damage and the advice was always "when you think you're 100%. wait another week before pushing it". So take your time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Bummer about the additional fractures :(. On the upside, summer is here and Chuck will be too hot to ride soon. I just went out to Chuckwalla myself this past weekend; rode a buddy's R6 racebike. Good times!
Very true. Nice! I've always wanted to ride one on track and see how it stacks up against the 675. Bet that howling 4 banger was fun to hear!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Nice to hear you're on the mend. Take it easy with the comeback. Don't push it. I used to do track a field and did plenty of soft tissue damage and the advice was always "when you think you're 100%. wait another week before pushing it". So take your time.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, this experience has definitely changed the way I will ride here on out. I think I mentioned that I crashed first session of the day after not riding on track for 4 months, which says a lot. I'll be going back into it with a new mentality and hopefully make the last CVMA round in December.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Very true. Nice! I've always wanted to ride one on track and see how it stacks up against the 675. Bet that howling 4 banger was fun to hear!
It was probably the loudest bike on track. It has a Sato racing exhaust that pops and burbles when you let off the throttle. Ripping it to the 17k redline on the front straight was intoxicating! It felt more powerful than expected down low too; stock engine with a PC. I may end up buying it from him.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
It was probably the loudest bike on track. It has a Sato racing exhaust that pops and burbles when you let off the throttle. Ripping it to the 17k redline on the front straight was intoxicating! It felt more powerful than expected down low too; stock engine with a PC. I may end up buying it from him.
Nice! I almost bought a 2007 that was a track bike last year before I dumped my 675 the first time. Then my second bike budget went to repairs 😝

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Nice! I almost bought a 2007 that was a track bike last year before I dumped my 675 the first time. Then my second bike budget went to repairs 😝
This is an 07 as well but with a relatively fresh 08 engine. All goodies otherwise; just hard to justify if you can't get out on a regular basis.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
Well, this should be the last post I make in this thread.

A bit over a year ago (February 2019), I got another similar chunk of metal in my oil, so I finally dropped the motor and ended up splitting it apart myself after a seller on eBay attempted to rip me off by sending me a seized engine with a blown head gasket. It was going to cost a lot to repair, so I cut my losses, sold her to a salvage yard, and bought another bike. I'm still in the D675 club, but my new bike is a considerable upgrade ;)

Below are some of my final, favorite photos of Emma. May she rest in peace and may her parts bring others joy and happiness in fixing their motorcycles.

·
Registered
06 Daytona 675 Tornado Red
16 Posts
Alright, so I purchased my second motorcycle and my first Triumph in the beginning of August. She is a Tornado Red 2006 Daytona 675, which my friend and I named Emma, after Emma Watson for being a British babe, and/or Emma Stone for being a hot redhead. I suppose both apply. So, before I get into my experience with the bike, let me go a bit off-topic and share a little about my riding history and how I ended up here.

I bought my first bike, Sally, a 2003 CBR600RR with 20K miles, in 2013. I learned how to ride sportingly in the canyons over the summer of 2014, and finally hit the track for the first time in Fall of 2014. After going on a canyon/track hiatus for the winter, I finally went back to the canyon at the end of February and had a pretty bad getoff. Luckily, I was in my suit, so the damage I did to myself was merely bruises. My bike was in pretty good shape too, just some plastic damage and a bent rearset. So, I fixed the bike up, and did a track day in April, which recemented my skills and confidence on a bike. A friend of mine was getting into flipping a few bikes so I figured I might as well see what I could do with my Honda since it was getting up around 30K and I knew I wouldn't be able to sell it for much if the mileage got much higher. So, I listed the bike for $4K, and after waiting out the summer, someone finally bought her.

I was debating between two bikes, the 3rd-gen Yamaha R6, and a Daytona 675. I had always loved the look of the 675, but did have a little experience riding the R6 my buddy that I mentioned before had for a few months before trading it, and my word is that an amazing motorcycle! Despite knowing I really loved that bike a lot, I saw an ad for a 2006 675 for with a bit under 22K miles that was well within my budget. Owner confirmed the valves had been adjusted at 18K. So, after a look and a test ride, I quickly bought the 675 without looking at anything else, the day after I sold my Honda. I could tell it was probably leaking a bit of oil, as the engine casings were sludgy, but my friends and I are mechanically inclined so I figured we could fix it.

So, the day after I bought the bike, the battery was dead. What a surprise. Got a new one a few days later, and that fixed that. CEL came on the next day too for the ex-up, which I still need to disable in TuneECU. When I got the bike, I knew something had been done about the gearing, as the speedo indicated 92 MPH while I was traveling with the speed of traffic. Took a look, and sure enough, 14 tooth 530 pitch front sprocket with a 530 chain (unsure how many links) and a 47 tooth 525 pitch rear sprocket. Got a new gold DID chain with the correct size JT sprockets, all 525. Also ditched the mismatched sport touring tires for some Q3s. I had a lightly used front in the garage from my Honda, so all I needed was a rear. Half of the LEDs in the integrated tail light were dead, so I replaced that too. Changed the oil and started checking on it and noticed a little was disappearing, but not enough that I thought it was a problem. Thinking the bike was now going to run right without needing maintenance, I ordered the eBay knock offs of the Sato rearsets, after reading a few positive reviews on here. I had Vortex on my Honda and converted to GP shift, so the first week of 675 ownership felt a little off, especially with that silky smooth gearbox. After doing a second clean up with the plastics removed, I noticed a very small coolant collection in the severely stretched neck of the lower radiator hose where it meets the inlet on the engine. I also noticed a collection of something along the hose where it touches the stator cover. Wiped it off, oil. Not much, so I decided it would be okay to ride easy. So, rode to school last Wednesday to avoid dealing with the chaotic parking lots during the beginning of the semester and when I park, I smell coolant. I look down, and my expansion tank has a nice big crack along the edges of it. So, I ride it home easy, and take things apart when I do get home. Found a little coolant in my sprocket cover, so I clean and lube the chain again, and it has been sitting since. I got a replacement expansion tank and stator gasket, just waiting on a new lower radiator hose. Should have everything taken care of by Sunday of the coming week.

Now, let's get to the good. The bike handles wonderfully, as far as I can tell. I haven't taken it on more than some twisty highway on ramps, but it is a lot easier to control than my Honda, which is retrospect feels like a massive pig. The triple powerband is beautiful! So nice to be able to keep the bike around 4-5K and be able to pull on a moment's notice without downshifting. The gearbox is so unrealistically smooth. Shifts are effortless and easy. However, I have been having an issue clutchless shifting from 1st to 2nd. Close to half the time I do it above 7K revs, the bike will catch 2nd briefly and then throw me into neutral. I never used the clutch on my Honda, up or down, and never had this problem, except when first switching from standard to GP and just getting caught in neutral. Maybe it's me timing it wrong or something, but I haven't been able to get enough seat time to really see -_-. So, hopefully after next weekend, things will go much smoothly for me and Emma. My Honda was trouble free throughout my entire ownership, so I am not used to being without a bike if I want it (aside from when I dumped it in the canyon :frown:) I'm fine with maintenance, even high maintenance (I own an RX-8 and daily it), but constant trouble is something I am not prepared for. Hopefully, it's just because the previous owner neglected the bike and didn't get it out much, so once I take care of these things, all will be well.

After taking care of my current predicament, I plan on polishing the fork cartridges and then hitting Chuckwalla next month to really try her out :smile2:. I am curious to see if the Daytona 675 is really all it's cracked up to be in a fast environment. If it's not, I may be looking to trade for an R6 very soon :smilielol5:

Pics for more interest:

I think naming a bike is incredibly silly.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts