Triumph 675 Forums banner

MRA Round #1 Race Report

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  bcmoore 
#1 ·
Just finished an abbreviated round 1 at High Plains Raceway in Colorado with the MRA. We only raced on Saturday due to a freak spring snow storm rolling through on Sunday.

Overall the weekend was excellent! This is my second year racing and because I only made four of seven rounds last year I didn't get the required points to move up to expert.

I arrived at the track on Thursday night to prepare for the trackday on Friday. I pitted with my good buddy Nik Lenski who was my race school coach last year before the season started. He is now my friend and mentor. In the off season I did a fair amount of upgrades and I was excited to get on the track to see how they would pan out for me. I went from a bone stock 2010 Daytona 675 to one with a full Ti FMF and a full Bazazz kit.. courtesy of Riders Discount!. I also got all new suspension from Dave Rose at STM Suspension in Ft. Collins, CO.. Ohlins front and rear.. :) I must say it's like a whole new bike. My best time at this track last year was only a 2:04.9 and this weekend I set a personal best at a 1:59.9 and I'm pretty sure I know where to find some more time.. The trackday went well as Nik took me out for a few sessions and pointed out some things I could work on which ended up helping me immensely in the races on Saturday.

Saturday morning the weather was gorgeous.. partly cloudy and in the 60s. After the first of three practice sessions I had Oscar Solice of Sol Performance-Pirelli swap out my old Pirelli superbike slick for a new one. The old one had a full race weekend from last year and three trackdays from this year and the wear markers had just gotten to the point where I could barely see them. I must say that is some seriously good wear. The next session I took it easy, just scuffing it in and getting used to how nice a new tire feels. The last session I picked up the pace a little and felt pretty good.

Following the last practice session there was a short break followed by opening ceremonies. The first race of the day was NGTU. This is our club's Novice Middleweight race. The grid was set by last years points where I did well but not well enough to move to expert (only raced 4 rounds). My starting position was 1C.. First row, center spot! My good buddy Brett Leveque was gridded right next to me. Before the race we hugged and promised not to take one another out in the first turn. After the warm up lap, we gridded up got set to go. The red lights came on and then very quickly went off and off we all went. I beat Brett to turn one to my amazement. I lead the next 3 and half laps!! I was shocked!! I had never been this close to the front let alone in the lead for multiple laps. With no mirrors, we have no way of know how far back anyone was. Apparently I had a pretty good lead, but by lap four, a few real fast guys caught me. They were gridded farther back having not raced last year. When the first guy got by me, I tried to stay with him but no luck.. the next lap another guy got me and on the 6th lap another Triumph got me putting me back in fourth. The red flag came out the lap which ended the race. I finished thinking I was fourth. When the results were posted I had actually finished third because when the red flag came out they rolled the results back to the last fully completed lap which was lap 5 and at that time I was still in 3rd. I was pretty torn about taking the 3rd place trophy knowing that Becker (guy on the other Triumph) was faster than me and that he got screwed by the flag. That's just how it goes I guess and one day I might get the short end of the red flag too. Excited about the results 3rd or 4th.. either way you look at it, it was my best race ever. I had a break until my second race which was after lunch.

My second race, was NGTO which is our club's open class novice race. This is a mix of everything from middleweights to liter bikes. I gridded on row 2 for this race. When the lights went off this time, we raced to turn one. I wasn't in first place this time, but by turn 4 I was leading again!! I lead this race for a few laps until the same guy on the Triumph and another guy caught me. This time the race went the full seven laps and I finished 3rd again. This time there was no drama.. I earned that 3rd place trophy fair and square against middleweights and liter bikes. Interesting to note.. the top three finishers were all middleweights. Just goes to show that a little bit of talent can overcome more horsepower at the novice level. Ecstatic about this finish I think I smiled the rest of the day.

The third race was a little less exciting.. Middleweight Endurance. This was a 30 minute race. Gridded back on the 6th row, it seemed like there tons of people ahead and behind me at the start. The first go at the race was red flagged for rain. After a 20 minute break it blew over and out we went again.. this time for a 20 minute race. I got a better start this time but on lap 3 or 4 I was pelted by a few sprinkles of rain. Not enough to affect the traction but enough to affect the mind. I back off for a couple laps and got passed by a bunch of people. By the end of the race I sorta just wanted it to be over. I finished mid pack 22 of 40 something riders (a mix of novices and experts).

The cold weather rolled in Saturday evening with rain and SNOW forecasted for Sunday. Many people packed up and left but I stuck around hoping for a change in forecast. In the morning it was even worse. Thankfully the club cancelled Sunday's races and we all packed up and went home!

I want to thank my amazing wife Karla Moore for supporting me in this craziness. I also want to thank Nik Lenski as a friend and as coach/mentor. Oscar Solis for the amazing tires. Dave Rose for the suspension. Nate Butler of Bloodnickel leathers for the awesome work he did on my suit this winter and Pit-bull for making great stands and sprockets (and maybe paying me a few bucks if I keep this up this year).

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.