Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
sure is purdy... the numbers are pretty stout too. I just wish that electric motors had the visceral appeal internal combustion engines. Just seems to sterile in comparison.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
They're getting warmer. That's probably a $150k bike, but as soon as electric sportbikes drop below $50k and can go 200 miles on a charge, I'm in.

As for the whole "visceral appeal" thing, I see nothing sterile about 115 ft-lbs of torque. If it's the lack of noise that bugs you, Priuses are being rigged with noisemakers b/c they're too quiet on electric only. I'm sure you could do something similar on a bike.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Sterile in presentation (of electric motors) rather than performance. Largely an issue of an inevitable change in paradigm rather than actual qualities of the ride.
I think a lot of us will have luddite like moments as we transition into an electric motor world. There will be new things that electric bikes offer that we cannot get from current internal combustion machines and probably do not yet realize and likewise there will be some of the "qualities" of the later that we will miss.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Got noise generator for my R/C car :)

And I like turbiney noises, that's part of why I have a Daytona :thumbup:

When I see the no-fuss side of the mechanics and the sheer awesomeness of the Killacycle, I'm sold already. I just hope they get a fast battery change system in stations or something.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Sterile in presentation (of electric motors) rather than performance. Largely an issue of an inevitable change in paradigm rather than actual qualities of the ride.
I think a lot of us will have luddite like moments as we transition into an electric motor world. There will be new things that electric bikes offer that we cannot get from current internal combustion machines and probably do not yet realize and likewise there will be some of the "qualities" of the later that we will miss.
I hear you, but I can't think of a whole lot I'll miss from I/C engines. I hate the noise, I hate the smell (except for 2 strokes), I hate having to carry all that gas with me to the track. The only thing I honestly enjoy is the maintenance. I've checked my valves just for fun :laugh:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Do you really think there will be a paradigm shift any time soon? I'm only 29 and I'm not sure I'll see it in my lifetime. Not with batteries in their current state. I think there's something way down the line with a complete change in how we approach batteries, but I'd say that's 15-20 years away at least. I couldn't see it in the press release, but how much does the bike weigh?

Rare earth elements found in current batteries, while technically more common than gold, are both hard to find in large deposits (China sitting on some of the largest deposits and starting to get stingy with sharing it with the rest of the world after artificially driving prices down so places like the US couldn't compete with their production) and costly from a human/environmental stand point (think blood diamonds but replace diamonds with thulium). Not to mention where the hell all the power comes from to charge the battery in the first place!

I like the idea of an electric bike or car or roller skates, but at this point I feel like we're robbing Peter to pay Paul until somebody stumbles upon revolutionary battery/power generating technology.

Sorry about the tangential rant, but living in LA sometimes I feel like the only one who hasn't drunk the Kool-Aid on electric vehicles yet.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Chippy those are all good points. I think the older you get the more entrenched your get in "your" paradigm and the more likely you are to see all changes as being tectonic in nature.
In real terms 15-20 years is a pretty short stint in history and while there are issues with both technology and raw materials the social and political momentum seems to have already moved in that direction, often times without answering the questions new technologies raise.
I'm not really trying to argue for or against one of the other as opposed to simply lamenting my luddite ways.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah I hear you on becoming an old curmudgeon. I notice myself yelling "YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN" a lot now-a-days. I guess I'm just jealous that when electric bikes ARE amazing I'll be too feeble to ride anything more than an electric Goldwing heheh

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Yeah I hear you on becoming an old curmudgeon. I notice myself yelling "YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN" a lot now-a-days. I guess I'm just jealous that when electric bikes ARE amazing I'll be too feeble to ride anything more than an electric Goldwing heheh
LOL... I'll probably be dead by then (I already have 12 years on you).

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Well that brings up the old debate- would you rather be dead or ride a goldwing?
As you get older the 'Wing starts to painfully become preferable to death.

Now if you repose the question and substitute a Harley for the 'Wing then we'll start talking about picking up coffins :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
269 Posts
As you get older the 'Wing starts to painfully become preferable to death.

Now if you repose the question and substitute a Harley for the 'Wing then we'll start talking about picking up coffins :biggrinjester:
hahahah ok that is a perfect spot to end the threadjack

Look at the pretty bike!

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Looks photoshopped to me for some reason. :hmm:

Does look good though.

There is guy that rides around my campus on a home made electric bike (its some 80's era Honda or Kawasaki 450 or 500). It's pretty cool. It has solar panels that fold down when he rides, that he deploys when it is parked. I'd love to have something like that, just for fun.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
They're getting warmer. That's probably a $150k bike, but as soon as electric sportbikes drop below $50k and can go 200 miles on a charge, I'm in.

As for the whole "visceral appeal" thing, I see nothing sterile about 115 ft-lbs of torque. If it's the lack of noise that bugs you, Priuses are being rigged with noisemakers b/c they're too quiet on electric only. I'm sure you could do something similar on a bike.
Same here. Would love to ride an electric bike as a track bike. I think in about 20 years we'll see them at a reasonably affordable price range with an acceptable distance and horsepower/torque per charge. As for lack of noise....you can always do this.

Haabllaaaablla bllaaa Haabllaa blaaalllaaa blaa HABLLAA....chicken spears chicken spears...

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
i think electric is the temporary technology right now, until hydrogen cars take over.

is there anyone trying to produce a hydrogen bike? personally i think thats the way to go.

·
Registered
864 Posts
i think electric is the temporary technology right now, until hydrogen cars take over.

is there anyone trying to produce a hydrogen bike? personally i think thats the way to go.
Hydrogen is just a fuel for an electric motor, so you have it a bit backwards.

e: usually

1 - 20 of 26 Posts